• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jeff Odom from the Tampa Bay Times

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

Well Jeff, please pass on to your TBT peeps that their decision to charge for digital access (I know, it's for the complete paper) when many here and others went there specifically for the USF Blog.  Last time I checked your USF Blog site, it was a grave yard and hardly a posted comment could be found. Thanks for destroying what once was a really nice site for accessing USF sports news and a good place to engage in interesting blog post exchanges with fellow Bull buds.  Your company lost my business and many others that I know.

If you subscribed, the cost is only $6 a month. Not that much to spend if it really was as a good a place as it appeared to be for you guys ...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  131
  • Days Won:  0

Well Jeff, please pass on to your TBT peeps that their decision to charge for digital access (I know, it's for the complete paper) when many here and others went there specifically for the USF Blog.  Last time I checked your USF Blog site, it was a grave yard and hardly a posted comment could be found. Thanks for destroying what once was a really nice site for accessing USF sports news and a good place to engage in interesting blog post exchanges with fellow Bull buds.  Your company lost my business and many others that I know.

If you subscribed, the cost is only $6 a month. Not that much to spend if it really was as a good a place as it appeared to be for you guys ...

Triple B, it wasn't so much the cost (well, it was for several), but for me, it was the way that they handled that situation.  There was no warning that suddenly, a pop up would occur announcing that access and all future access would require an additional payment.  There was no prior announcement and it happened at the same time that GA was assigned away from the Bulls Blog and Joey Knight was announced as his replacement.  I initially signed up for the digital service, as I thought that the die hards there would stay, but most decided to leave due to, IMO, the way it was handled more than just the cost.  As time went on, it became apparent that the product there decreased in not only quality (e.g., no in-game blog chat), but the quantity of stories posted there dropped off as well.  So, TBT not only wanted to charge for their same site, but the product previously offered did not match the level when it was offered as a free service.  So, for those hard core who did stay, they finally stated their displeasure with the site and simply left.  Additionally, after years of Greg Auman at that site, one would think that the new guy would want to come in and introduce himself and try to sell everyone on staying there.  Heck, Knight never even responded to any one re: the initial questions asked of him during his first couple of stories. So, it became apparent that Knight didn't care about the established fan base there, so any remaining people from the old crowd just simply left and went elsewhere.  So, it was more than just the cost of the digital subscription that killed their blog site, but the required cost did seem to send the majority packing.  Could it have been salvaged? I think it could have with any kind of effort by Joey Knight, but apparently he lacked the desire or good sense to try and maintain or cultivate a following.   

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

Lost mine to.

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

Honestly I just follow the guys on Twitter and when they link something that I want to read i click on it. Haven't run out of clicks yet. It just prevents me from checking the blog 2- 3 times per day

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Hey, all. 

This is Jeff Odom, University of South Florida Bulls beat correspondent with the Tampa Bay Times. I just discovered the board this evening and thought it would be an excellent tool to get thoughts from the fans and to interact more with our readers. 

As always, Greg Auman, Joey Knight and I appreciate your support of our coverage of USF athletics.

You can find us on Twitter: @TBTimes_Bulls and @ByJeffOdom, where we will be happy to answer all of your questions. 

Thanks for reading,

- Jeff

Glad you found us!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827

Welcome.  What took so long?

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  182
  • Days Won:  2

Jeff,

Not to pile on, but I only go to the Times site for the USF blog.

How can you expect me to pay for that service, when the last post on it was WEDNESDAY!? During the season, with a conference game, and we go Thursday, Friday, and now most of Saturday (the game ended an hour ago!) without a post?

Come on. I don't know if it's your budget, lack of trying, or that the Times just doesn't care. Well, I guess I don't care about the Times now. I've already cancelled by paper subscription.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827

During the season, with a conference game, and we go Thursday, Friday, and now most of Saturday (the game ended an hour ago!) without a post?

Come on.

I gotta admit, that's pretty disappointing.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

Weak! 

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Greg churned out what seemed to be 2, 3, and even 4 stories a day. Paying for 2-3 stories a week is tough.

Edited by Bull Martin