• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I'm say'n

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  121
  • Days Won:  0

The likelihood of us beating Miami is very low considering how we've started the season. That said, they're also not as good as most think. A couple things to consider:

1) Sure, they beat Florida, but the Gators really beat themselves with five turnovers and awful offense.

2) Stephen Morris' injury may be a factor.

3) This is this Miami team's first game in the spotlight. The pressure will be on to prove themselves.

4) Conversely, there's no pressure on us. Everyone thinks we suck so we have nothing to lose.

5) It's a noon kickoff which typically favors the home team.

6) We've beaten them before. Yes, they weren't as good then as they are now and we were better then than we are now; but still, we've beaten them.

7) They just came off a game where they annihilated an overmatched I-AA opponent. Many teams have a habit of a letdown after big romps.

8) Miami seems to be overly confident, which may be their worst enemy.

To win, we've got to limit our mistakes (i.e., no more giving up touchdowns on offense) and force them into mistakes with our defense. I'm optimistic we'll give them a fight.

I love the "UF gave them the game" logic. Do you not realize that four of the five turnovers were forced? When Driskell gets his spine snapped by a D-lineman who beat his man, that's not "beating themselves".

As for the spotlight, I hardly consider a noon game against an 0-3 team the "spotlight".

And Al Golden is the antithesis of overconfident. Not sure where that line is coming from.

Yes, they were forced errors on behalf of the Gators.

So when a defender drills you and knocks the ball loose, it's just bad offense? No credit to the defense?

But I love how no one considers Miami's errors that allowed Florida to score. If we want to play your game, Miami's punt protection broke down for one TD, miscommunication in the secondary gave them the other TD. So we should have won 21-3.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  529
  • Days Won:  1

I'm an eternal optimist but I wouldn't go as far to say we are "...under rated right now.".

I'm just saying that if you had told me in August that 3 weeks in we would have the 23rd ranked defense in total defense and that Shaw was averaging over 130 a game I would never believe that we were 0 - 3.

The numbers only support games lost by turnovers, big plays, and special teams. We are better than our record.

No we aren't.

Ir defense has faced two of the worst offenses in the country. Lets see how we fare against Miami before puffing our chests.

This is a bad football team right now, we're rated correctly.

Was going to post something similar re: the level of competence of the offenses we've played. If our 1st 3 opponents had been L'ville, Miami and Cinci my guess is we wouln't be at #23 in the country.
Most schools have weak schedules for the first three games. We are compared to those schools. We'll see, but if you want to believe we suck worse than any school in the country go ahead. By the end of this season we'll be a better team. That hasn't been true for nearly 10 years and makes me think we aren't as bad as it record.

I get it though, it hurts less when you lower the bar. If you think we would lose to fau or mcneese again your crazy. Those were flukes two untimely low probability flukes.

Are we good, no not by our expectations, but not 119 in 1a. Not true.

Edited by BullTiger

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  280
  • Days Won:  1

If we can just get some EXTREMELY good luck at the beginning, I think anything is possible

Maybe a picked off pass for a touchdown early, a botched snap ran back for a touchdown, etc

This season is not about wins anymore, it's about trying to figure out what we have to work with, what we can do right, and build on that and put the rest of the puzzle pieces together to become a formidable competitor

USF Football is like a jigsaw puzzle right now, we have 1 or 2 pieces somewhat figured out, now we need to get the other 98 pieces to start going into place. 

For me, I watch the games to see if we can just get a couple basic things right. I'm not even looking for wins at this point, I'm just looking for light at the end of the tunnel that the team can build on. 

When you are ranked dead last, it's not about winning anymore, it's about just trying to keep it close. Baby steps at this point

• Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  1,719
  • Days Won:  6

even if we lose this game, Miami's win will be aborted...err, i mean...vacated once the NCAA sanctions hit.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

even if we lose this game, Miami's win will be aborted...err, i mean...vacated once the NCAA sanctions hit.

Unless they're caught committing violations today, that isn't true

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Unless they're caught committing violations today, that isn't true

And we don't vacate the loss. Unless you're the kind of person who thinks we didn't lose to Penn State a few years back.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,468
  • Days Won:  19

I think we have a little more ways to go...we are almost the worst offense in college football history. Giving away another 5 defensive touchdowns in the next 2 or 3 games will cement it.

Hardly.  GT beat Cumberland 222-0.

Cumberland that year didn't have a football team. They dropped the sport. GT forced them to play the game. Cumberland got students to get on the train offering a free trip to Atlanta. Reports were, many students realized they might get hurt and jumped off the train to walk back to Cumberland. So, in reality, Cumberland that year didn't have a football team, and thus you really can't compare us (or any organized team) to them.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,468
  • Days Won:  19

Holtz beat Miami. Taggart could do it.

Jacory "Interception Machine" Harris graduated, man.

I'm already ashamed to admit we're going 1-4 against Miami in this series, 2-3 has a much better sound to it... but there's no logical reason to think we keep it within 3 TD's... 

ANY GIVEN SATURDAY though

Sadly, we are already 1-4, possibly headed for 1-5 (it is a the end of a 6 game deal).

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

If we can just get some EXTREMELY good luck at the beginning, I think anything is possible

We got some pretty good luck on our first offensive play of the season, in hindsight...and we still got blown out by an FCS team. Miami is going to humiliate us even further, if that is even possible.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,718
  • Days Won:  109

I'm an eternal optimist but I wouldn't go as far to say we are "...under rated right now.".

I'm just saying that if you had told me in August that 3 weeks in we would have the 23rd ranked defense in total defense and that Shaw was averaging over 130 a game I would never believe that we were 0 - 3.

The numbers only support games lost by turnovers, big plays, and special teams. We are better than our record.

No we aren't.

Ir defense has faced two of the worst offenses in the country. Lets see how we fare against Miami before puffing our chests.

This is a bad football team right now, we're rated correctly.

Was going to post something similar re: the level of competence of the offenses we've played. If our 1st 3 opponents had been L'ville, Miami and Cinci my guess is we wouln't be at #23 in the country.
Most schools have weak schedules for the first three games. We are compared to those schools. We'll see, but if you want to believe we suck worse than any school in the country go ahead. By the end of this season we'll be a better team. That hasn't been true for nearly 10 years and makes me think we aren't as bad as it record.

I get it though, it hurts less when you lower the bar. If you think we would lose to fau or mcneese again your crazy. Those were flukes two untimely low probability flukes.

Are we good, no not by our expectations, but not 119 in 1a. Not true.

You think maybe we did get it right after all?  Not that we're happy about it.  But a real offense showed our D for what it truly is.