• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Quarterback woes continue for Bulls

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

As much as I was opposed to burning White's redshirt, I'm even more opposed now.  He'd get killed back there and it could ruin him for the future.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Who were the guys saying we wouldn't have a "QB by committee" across these games? What do you guys think now?

In all seriousness, I really think Bench shows the most promise, even if that's not saying much at this point. I think CWT should focus there.

I agree - Bench seemed to have better control behind center, barked out calls and at least looked like a guy that wasn't afraid to run the offense.  I still say just let White start and build for the future.  At least he would find out what it is like to have 2.-2.5 seconds to throw and maybe next year when he has time he would be like Holy Crap - I got all day back here.  Of course he may get killed back there - looks pretty thin to me.  But so did the guy from Cinci a few years ago(forgot his name- torched us for the TD run right at the beginning of the second half)

if he feels bench is the man for next year and beyond then roll with him. if he thinks white is then burn the red shirt and gain the experience.play him against smu, memphis, houston, etc. just the bad defenses. otherwise we'll just be doing the same thing over again next year.

not sure why people think red shirts are so precious or that white is so valuable we'll need him for a full 5 years (hope he is but until we see him play against live action we'll never know).Floyd used a red shirt. Nothing against the guy but I'm not sure we need him on scholarship for 5 years.

a true freshman is leading the country in passing this year.

Both of our previous 4 year starters couldn't play a full 4 years because they used red shirts unnecessarily. (I know BJ was "technically" hurt his true freshman year but I think that was more taking advantage of the rules.)

Edited by Bull94

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,634
  • Days Won:  424

Who were the guys saying we wouldn't have a "QB by committee" across these games? What do you guys think now?

In all seriousness, I really think Bench shows the most promise, even if that's not saying much at this point. I think CWT should focus there.

I agree - Bench seemed to have better control behind center, barked out calls and at least looked like a guy that wasn't afraid to run the offense.  I still say just let White start and build for the future.  At least he would find out what it is like to have 2.-2.5 seconds to throw and maybe next year when he has time he would be like Holy Crap - I got all day back here.  Of course he may get killed back there - looks pretty thin to me.  But so did the guy from Cinci a few years ago(forgot his name- torched us for the TD run right at the beginning of the second half)

if he feels bench is the man for next year and beyond then roll with him. if he thinks white is then burn the red shirt and gain the experience.play him against smu, memphis, houston, etc. just the bad defenses. otherwise we'll just be doing the same thing over again next year.

not sure why people think red shirts are so precious or that white is so valuable we'll need him for a full 5 years (hope he is but until we see him play against live action we'll never know).Floyd used a red shirt. Nothing against the guy but I'm not sure we need him on scholarship for 5 years.

Both of our previous 4 year starters couldn't play a full 4 years because they used red shirts unnecessarily. (I know BJ was "technically" hurt his true freshman year but I think that was more taking advantage of the rules.)

If we hadn't red shirted BJ, Floyd or Eveld would have been starting LAST year .... You redshirt White because, in case you haven't noticed, USF hasn't exactly been having to fight off qb recruits wanting to come here. Hopefully CWT can change that but until he does, you want to keep an experienced qb around as long as possible.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  477
  • Days Won:  0

I agree Bench shows the best chance for us to have better QB play.  While the OL can open up holes for Shaw it can't hold the DL for 4 seconds for the QB.

Quick passes?

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  477
  • Days Won:  0

Who were the guys saying we wouldn't have a "QB by committee" across these games? What do you guys think now? In all seriousness, I really think Bench shows the most promise, even if that's not saying much at this point. I think CWT should focus there.

if he feels bench is the man for next year and beyond then roll with him. if he thinks white is then burn the red shirt and gain the experience.play him against smu, memphis, houston, etc. just the bad defenses. otherwise we'll just be doing the same thing over again next year. not sure why people think red shirts are so precious or that white is so valuable we'll need him for a full 5 years (hope he is but until we see him play against live action we'll never know).Floyd used a red shirt. Nothing against the guy but I'm not sure we need him on scholarship for 5 years. a true freshman is leading the country in passing this year. Both of our previous 4 year starters couldn't play a full 4 years because they used red shirts unnecessarily. (I know BJ was "technically" hurt his true freshman year but I think that was more taking advantage of the rules.)
If we hadn't red shirted BJ, Floyd or Eveld would have been starting LAST year .... You redshirt White because, in case you haven't noticed, USF hasn't exactly been having to fight off qb recruits wanting to come here. Hopefully CWT can change that but until he does, you want to keep an experienced qb around as long as possible.

If we don't have another and better QB than any of them within four years, we'll have drifted into complete irrelevancy. I don't have an opinion on using White's RS, but I sure hope that preserving it isn't crucial to the future of our team.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,634
  • Days Won:  424

Who were the guys saying we wouldn't have a "QB by committee" across these games? What do you guys think now? In all seriousness, I really think Bench shows the most promise, even if that's not saying much at this point. I think CWT should focus there.

if he feels bench is the man for next year and beyond then roll with him. if he thinks white is then burn the red shirt and gain the experience.play him against smu, memphis, houston, etc. just the bad defenses. otherwise we'll just be doing the same thing over again next year. not sure why people think red shirts are so precious or that white is so valuable we'll need him for a full 5 years (hope he is but until we see him play against live action we'll never know).Floyd used a red shirt. Nothing against the guy but I'm not sure we need him on scholarship for 5 years. a true freshman is leading the country in passing this year. Both of our previous 4 year starters couldn't play a full 4 years because they used red shirts unnecessarily. (I know BJ was "technically" hurt his true freshman year but I think that was more taking advantage of the rules.)

If we don't have another and better QB than any of them within four years, we'll have drifted into complete irrelevancy. I don't have an opinion on using White's RS, but I sure hope that preserving it isn't crucial to the future of our team.

I'm just going by the past, and it HAS been crucial .... but I hope you're right going forward.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,720
  • Days Won:  3

Wonder how long it will be before Floyd gets another shot.

• Topic Count:  554
  • Content Count:  14,407
  • Days Won:  13

I tweeted CWT about a qb up here in GA to check out that so far under the radar apparently.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

I tweeted CWT about a qb up here in GA to check out that so far under the radar apparently.

Thanks for doing your part...?....

Seriously, CWT's probably ok without you. Just a wild guess.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

white doesn't have any experience. we don't even know if he is any good.

having eveld or floyd starting last year would mean they would actually have game experience for this year.

unfortunately it doesn't look like they are the solution but that has nothing to do with when they started. if they had started last year we would have known without a doubt that they were not the answer for this year.

no offense to Floyd but if he doesn't play any significant time for us then red shirting him will just eat up a scholarship for an extra year. that's all we gain by him red shirting his first year. let's hope that's not the case with white. I hope he's the answer but if not then we are eating a scholly for 5 years unneccessarily.

now I get not pulling a red shirt from BJ because Grothe was a junior that year. we didn't need to prepare him for the next year. if he thinks white is the long term answer then he should be playing in certain situations now to gain experience for next year.

Edited by Bull94