• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Quarterback woes continue for Bulls

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I think CWT said flat out White was not an option this year. I guess that could change. Or I guess that White has not shown anything yet to be better option than the guys we have. Does not mean he's a bust, just that he's still learning and growing.

best way for him to learn and grow would be for him to get snaps against memohis, smu, houston,etc with our #1's in the heat of battle not running 4th string scout team.

experience is one of the most important attributes and the only way to gain it is to play.

Take that up with CWT. If White was better right now I believe he would play. Apparently CWT does not believe he is ready either physically or mentally.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I think CWT said flat out White was not an option this year. I guess that could change. Or I guess that White has not shown anything yet to be better option than the guys we have. Does not mean he's a bust, just that he's still learning and growing.

But Taggart indicated White's not ready to lead the Bulls offense — yet.

"We're not going to put him in and do that to him right now," Taggart said. "He's not ready yet, and we're not going to do that to him. I mean, we all want to find a quarterback that can be consistent and help this football team, and we will."

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/college/mike-white-not-up-to-speed-in-usf-qb-race/2142347

Cal true freshman is leading the country in passing running the "air raid" offense. are they losing? absolutely.

Will he be ahead of any QB now sitting on the bench running 4th string scout team? absolutely.

It doesn't look like any of them are ready. If he has the talent to be our QB of the future then the experience would do wonders for him. If he's not then I don't want him to be on scholly for 5 years anyway.

I'm not saying we throw him to the wolves. not saying he should even start. just get him 3 or 4 series against some of our lesser opponents.

Lesser opponents? Like FAU and McNeese?

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

White's probably still learning the offense, why put him out there to embarrass himself? He stands to gain much more by practicing and familiarizing himself with the play book than flopping against even lower tier AAC competition. CWT' making the right call regarding White IMHO.

so no true freshman QB should ever play his first year? why do you assume he will flop against lower level competition? maybe he is the real deal.

I remember Mike Jenkins embarrassing himself his freshman year.most young players embarrass themselves while gaining experience.

But Taggart indicated White's not ready to lead the Bulls offense — yet.

"We're not going to put him in and do that to him right now," Taggart said. "He's not ready yet, and we're not going to do that to him. I mean, we all want to find a quarterback that can be consistent and help this football team, and we will."

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/college/mike-white-not-up-to-speed-in-usf-qb-race/2142347

Cal true freshman is leading the country in passing running the "air raid" offense. are they losing? absolutely.

Will he be ahead of any QB now sitting on the bench running 4th string scout team? absolutely.

It doesn't look like any of them are ready. If he has the talent to be our QB of the future then the experience would do wonders for him. If he's not then I don't want him to be on scholly for 5 years anyway.

I'm not saying we throw him to the wolves. not saying he should even start. just get him 3 or 4 series against some of our lesser opponents.

Lesser opponents? Like FAU and McNeese?

yes lesser as in not our toughest opponents.

best way for him to learn and grow would be for him to get snaps against memohis, smu, houston,etc with our #1's in the heat of battle not running 4th string scout team.

experience is one of the most important attributes and the only way to gain it is to play.

Take that up with CWT. If White was better right now I believe he would play. Apparently CWT does not believe he is ready either physically or mentally.

I would hope that's the case. honestly if he even thinks he's a better option than Bench for the future then I would hope he would play him to gain the experience.

him being a true freshman should have nothing to do with the decision.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Mike jenkins was a redshirt freshman when he first played.

Mike jenkins was a redshirt freshman when he first played.

no he played in 2004. his true freshman year I believe. trae williams used his red shirt.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

White's probably still learning the offense, why put him out there to embarrass himself? He stands to gain much more by practicing and familiarizing himself with the play book than flopping against even lower tier AAC competition. CWT' making the right call regarding White IMHO.

so no true freshman QB should ever play his first year? why do you assume he will flop against lower level competition? maybe he is the real deal.

I remember Mike Jenkins embarrassing himself his freshman year.most young players embarrass themselves while gaining experience.

I'm not "assuming" anything. CWT has said he's not ready. You question the coach's judgment, but I don't. I think that's where we disagree.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

so no true freshman QB should ever play his first year?

Obviously, you know that's not true.  Do you know why people make a big deal about true freshmen starting at QB and an even bigger deal when they do well?  It is because it's a rarity.  I can almost assure you that every coach in the country would rather not play a true freshman at QB.

so no true freshman QB should ever play his first year?

Obviously, you know that's not true.  Do you know why people make a big deal about true freshmen starting at QB and an even bigger deal when they do well?  It is because it's a rarity.  I can almost assure you that every coach in the country would rather not play a true freshman at QB.

it's really not as rare as you think.

again I never said he should be starting.never said he should play majority of snaps either.

just said that if he could be our starter for the future that the game experience this year would be more valuable than sitting on the bench running with 4th stringers.

Tebow only made 33 pass attempts his true freshman year but I bet just being in big games was invaluable the next year.

obviously every coach wants a 4 year starting senior. not always possible.