• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Andre Davis has to sit.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

What about Welch?

Don't have any reason to think Deonte was giving up on plays.

No, but he dropped two very catchable balls

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

What about Welch?

We were all frustrated with the mistakes of Eveld, Welch, Durden, etc. The difference is that they were at least trying. Doesn't mean those guys should stay in if there is someone better, but I'm **** sure I don't want a guy who isn't going to even try as a starter.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  993
  • Days Won:  0

I would prefer that someone would try and mentor him. This team is not talented enough to sit its best players. A Lawrence Dawsey type would be pretty handy now as a coach.

You can't mentor heart and effort.  You either have it or you don't.  Only a kick in the rear will get his attention. 

I disagree - that's exactly what a mentor is for, especially for 18-22 year olds. A mentor is there to teach, guide, and provide a path to success for ALL individuals. A mentor for only those that work hard is misguided.

how exactly would you "mentor" him?  to me, sitting him is the mentoring action for his type behavior.  At this level of the game you can't waste time having to tell a player its a team game and you're supposed to play hard.  that's not mentoring that's pampering.  he's not going to learn that its not about him by coaches going out of their way to cater to him.   no, the lesson he needs requires benching him, IMO.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  993

What about Welch?

We were all frustrated with the mistakes of Eveld, Welch, Durden, etc. The difference is that they were at least trying. Doesn't mean those guys should stay in if there is someone better, but I'm **** sure I don't want a guy who isn't going to even try as a starter.

bingo. those guys lack of talent isn't going to infect the team.  poor attitudes will. 

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I almost cant blame the WR. The ball is getting to them so infrequently that when they do get the ball thrown to them they don't know what to do. In all seriousness though the team looks flat and it is hard to blame them. You'd love to see the guys go hard every play, but the qb play has been so awful that it has to take the wind out of their sails. Price, Welch, Davis...no one has gotten anything going. Who are you going to replace them with and what will it matter? The qb play has to improve before we start getting on the WR. Welch dropping those two balls was completely unacceptable especially for someone that is supposed to be a playmaker.

On multiple plays, especially in the 4th quarter, it looked to me like Davis intentionally did not catch the ball to avoid contact.

Even the Michigan State announcer mentioned he had alligator arms on one or two of those at the end.  It is a huge problem if he is your best playmaker and he isn't making routine plays.  Who would he be replaced with?  How about a receiver that will try to catch the pass?  Eppes is doing a better job catching passes out there than Davis right now.

I think he is pissed that he has had Floyd and Eveld throwing the ball AT him. 

He wants Bench, and when that happens you see him and Bench light it up when needed.

Assuming for a moment that this is true, what does that say about AD?

When you are at work, and your boss assigns you to work a project with Mark instead of Tom who you prefer, do you give it a half hearted effort because you don't like the way he dots his i's on the whiteboard?  

I hope this isn't true, because that would make me feel less sympathetic towards him.  I'm hoping he's just in a funk right now because of how last season turned out.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  529
  • Days Won:  1

He wants Bench, and when that happens you see him and Bench light it up when needed.

And this is based on?

The fact that Davis has ridiculous talent and my belief that Bench is a decent QB.  I don't believe that Eveld or Floyd see the field very well.

Is it wrong for me to think those things?  Do you dispute the likelihood of Bench being able to see the field better than Eveld or Floyd?  Do you dispute that Davis is talented?

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  529
  • Days Won:  1

When you are at work, and your boss assigns you to work a project with Mark instead of Tom who you prefer, do you give it a half hearted effort because you don't like the way he dots his i's on the whiteboard?  

I hope this isn't true, because that would make me feel less sympathetic towards him.  I'm hoping he's just in a funk right now because of how last season turned out.

I'm not a 19 year old hyped wide out.  Remember the age and mentality of most of these guys are right where ours was in college.  But to answer your question, no my effort doesn't change, but at some point I quit trying to cover their butts. 

Also, I don't think his effort was half hearted.  The guy doesn't make sports center catches and everyone wants his head.  He did get at least two pass interferences by their best corner and is still our best target.

I'm not a 19 year old hyped wide out.  Remember the age and mentality of most of these guys are right where ours was in college.  But to answer your question, no my effort doesn't change, but at some point I quit trying to cover their butts. 

Also, I don't think his effort was half hearted.  The guy doesn't make sports center catches and everyone wants his head.  He did get at least two pass interferences by their best corner and is still our best target.

I'm not asking for a SportCenter catch.  I'm asking him to reach for a pass that is within his grasp.  Is that too much to ask?

And he isn't a 19 year old hyped wide out.  He is an upperclassman who should be a mature team leader by now.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  399

Where is Dunkley? For the talent at wideout it seems like we have few options through the air. I have to believe CWT is not a fan of our TEs. They were supposed to be more featured in the offense.