• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Another AAC Assessment from outside the perimeter...

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,747
  • Days Won:  3

http://www.suitesports.com/2013/08/long-and-suite-preview-american.html

The Bulls are stuck in power conference limbo (They don't have quite as much to offer power conferences as Cincinnati and UConn, but do have some redeeming qualities), and they're hoping new coach Willie Taggart can build the program back up and make the athletic department more attractive. 

On paper, Taggert's move from Western Kentucky to Tampa seems like a slam dunk. He did more with less than almost any coach in the country last season, he's considered a dynamic recruiter and offensive innovator and, on top of it all, he's from the Tampa Bay area.

Now, keep in mind that Skip Holtz, who went 2-14 in conference play during his two seasons at USF, was considered to be a perfect fit on paper as well. Still, it's hard not to be excited about the young Taggart's potential.

While at Western Kentucky, Taggart's offenses revolved around a physical inside running game and a smart quarterback. Whether he has those pieces NOW at USF remains to be seen, but if he lives up to his reputation as a recruiting dynamo, he should soon have the players he needs to run his scheme. Defensively is where the Bulls could see an immediate turnaround.

The Bulls gave up three different game-winning drives of 75 yards or more last season, but seven starters return from a defense that does have talent, particularly in the defensive backfield. The pass rush will need to improve, but look for former Freshman All American and Notre Dame transfer Aaron Lynch to give the defense a little more bite in his first year playing for the Bulls.

and this...

Here is how I see the AAC shaking out in 2013.
AAC+Projections.jpg

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,952
  • Days Won:  12

Honestly, as someone living ITP, everyone can eat a fat one. The Bulls even on an average day have a great game day experience, have a proven track record against BCS competition, and no ceiling. As far as I'm concerned they're going to embarrass these ass clown writers.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,423
  • Days Won:  19

Maybe, but I think his assessment was pretty accurate for this coming season. 

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

More useless predictions.

Bear-Soflo you are quite the pessimist aren't you.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

This is the first year I have no idea what to expect from this team.

I think this is going to be a very good defense. What Cosh did to the expectations of the fans is almost as bad as what he did with the defense. The only weak spot on D is experienced depth at CB.

On offense, we have no idea what to expect. However, when I read these summaries and predictions from the "experts", there always seems to be a disconnect from the type of stuff Greg wrote about Taggart and the way he has run his offenses. Sean Price was one of the highest rated TE recruits in the country and contributed fairly well last year. As Greg wrote about the other day, Taggart has used his TEs more than the receivers, yet none of the writeups ever discuss that.

The other guy I have a good feeling about that no one ever talks about is Mike Pierre.

On paper, with the exception of RB, this is the most complete, deepest and talented offense we have ever had.

I feel pretty good about this team, but we don't really know what to expect from the coaching staff.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

I'd agree with you usfgrad84, but I do think CWT mentioned that he liked Pierre very early on. I'm thinking we see him get the rock quite frequently this year.

Here's a pic of Pierre (right) next to Shaw (left)

Pierre is a monster

http://twitter.com/Godss_son7/status/327514580135845888/photo/1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

I'd also add QB as an exception.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

This is the first year I have no idea what to expect from this team.

I think this is going to be a very good defense. What Cosh did to the expectations of the fans is almost as bad as what he did with the defense. The only weak spot on D is experienced depth at CB.

On offense, we have no idea what to expect. However, when I read these summaries and predictions from the "experts", there always seems to be a disconnect from the type of stuff Greg wrote about Taggart and the way he has run his offenses. Sean Price was one of the highest rated TE recruits in the country and contributed fairly well last year. As Greg wrote about the other day, Taggart has used his TEs more than the receivers, yet none of the writeups ever discuss that.

The other guy I have a good feeling about that no one ever talks about is Mike Pierre.

On paper, with the exception of RB, this is the most complete, deepest and talented offense we have ever had.

I feel pretty good about this team, but we don't really know what to expect from the coaching staff.

I think how well we do on defense is going to depend on our pass rush.  If we can get it done with 4, it will take pressure off our DBs.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Maybe, but I think his assessment was pretty accurate for this coming season. 

Accurate and fair.  Not sure how you can honestly expect a better review of a team that never won the BE has lost 14 of it's last 16 in conference.  That article was pretty optimistic.

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

More useless predictions.

Bear-Soflo you are quite the pessimist aren't you.

yep