• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I have seen one benefit of the new conference

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  3

Smazza not to debate that the situation is less then desirable but how might it look to potential recruits who possibly land here while investigating a school? or growing up in the area as USF fans to hear their fan-base screaming as loud as they can that the era for USF football is over and will never be back? I for one am hopeful that we can still build excitement for this team even if we are not at the SEC level. Taggart has come in an changed the energy at USF, lets change the energy here and get excited about football again, before the bandwagon when Taggart starts winning. There are a lot of good things our very young football team has done. If it takes us 25 years to get to the power5 that is still a good track record. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

A balanced schedule with 4 home and away. No more years of only 3 home games in conference. Hey, when you are hungry sometimes you have to try to scrape a few crumbs.

there is no benefit to joining aac

the comment itself is frightening to the rest of us that expected usf would challenged the established 3 in the the state

this is a death blow for usf football

an unmitigated disaster

First of all, you take all of this too seriously.  Did you not see the crumbs remark? :wtf: That said, you have been living in a pure fantasy world. Sorry that your manhood is defined by how your favorite team does.  :FIREdevil:   How many in the media here in Tampa have you ever heard talk about USF football or any sport on a regular basis?  Hard to build a powerhouse when no one is paying attention.  This is not the NFL where the playing field has been leveled with a draft,  free agency and a salary cap.  Most want to watch and follow and( if you are good enough) play for a name brand team.  You say so yourself when you are pimping USC.  I remember when I came back to Florida in the 80s after living out west that mediocre Florida was still the most popular team in the state despite the recent success of UM and FSU.  Anyone with and understanding of how things work knew that support and following was going to pay off for them and it did.

your mentality and comments reflect such an underachieving attitude that there is really nothing more for me to say

you are beaten before you take the field

This is not about me but since you brought it up, I did not have to steal money from the homeless to achieve anything.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

A balanced schedule with 4 home and away. No more years of only 3 home games in conference. Hey, when you are hungry sometimes you have to try to scrape a few crumbs.

there is no benefit to joining aac

the comment itself is frightening to the rest of us that expected usf would challenged the established 3 in the the state

this is a death blow for usf football

an unmitigated disaster

First of all, you take all of this too seriously.  Did you not see the crumbs remark? :wtf: That said, you have been living in a pure fantasy world. Sorry that your manhood is defined by how your favorite team does.  :FIREdevil:   How many in the media here in Tampa have you ever heard talk about USF football or any sport on a regular basis?  Hard to build a powerhouse when no one is paying attention.  This is not the NFL where the playing field has been leveled with a draft,  free agency and a salary cap.  Most want to watch and follow and( if you are good enough) play for a name brand team.  You say so yourself when you are pimping USC.  I remember when I came back to Florida in the 80s after living out west that mediocre Florida was still the most popular team in the state despite the recent success of UM and FSU.  Anyone with and understanding of how things work knew that support and following was going to pay off for them and it did.

your mentality and comments reflect such an underachieving attitude that there is really nothing more for me to say

you are beaten before you take the field

This is not about me but since you brought it up, I did not have to steal money from the homeless to achieve anything.

it isnt about our personal achievements

not sure what you have achieved or done. that isnt the issue

it is about attitudes and expectations

there is no benefit being in the aac

NONE!

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,784

Well, there may be some benefits to being in the AAC, though not the same benefits package one would find over in P(5) land.

http://www.motleysports.com/2013/07/the-american-athletic-conference-is.html

There is nothing wrong with high expectations.  Just don't get it that some fail to realize that the guys cannot roll their iconic U helmets on the field and point to the "Florida" part of the name and start winning big time.  It IS fantasy to think that.  There are  many obstacles which needed to be overcome in the first place and we have been dealt another one. We have all bemoaned what has happened but I think that it is time to understand our situation and try to move forward.  Now, instead of sitting around and complaining incessantly it is time to come up with a plan to not only build a winning program (I think we already have the coach for that) but trying to get more people interested in going to the games and in some way supporting the team.  You can have things go your way and enjoy a couple of good years with a sparse following but consistent success is hard to sustain. Real achievers recognize adversity and work to overcome it despite the odds.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Well, there may be some benefits to being in the AAC, though not the same benefits package one would find over in P(5) land.

our conference mates that went to the big 10 and acc are laughing at us

we are no longer a big time football program

you can rationalize and and try to kid yourself but we are in the minor leagues of college football

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,784

...you can rationalize and and try to kid yourself but we are in the minor leagues of college football

Indeed! We are now second class citizens, and I dare say you'd be hard pressed to find someone who would disagree with that position. There is a dividing line between the P(5) and the G(5), and we are on the less desirable side of the velvet rope. 

Given where we reside, what do we do? Do we moan and wail and rend our garments? What - if anything - does saying the same old thing over and over and over accomplish? Does it change, let alone improve our situation? I hardly think so. We've had plenty of time to squirt tears and snot our collective nose over how things ended up, but the time for acceptance is now. Regardless of what thin strands of hope some cling to that the phone is gonna ring any day now, August is on the way...

Should we close the program down? Is it an all-or-none proposition?  Like it or not, the objective going forward is to make the best of the existing situation. If we were of the mindset to shut down, mail it in on account of we're not national championship material, the basketball program would have folded long ago. We are not now, nor were we ever 'big time'. Look at our winning percentage since the inception of the program. There's no rationalization nor self delusion here, just an accurate assessment of where the program is and what needs to be done. And if you find it too painful or humiliating to watch, I'm pretty sure there's other games on TV during this time slot.

Sincerely,

Mr. Negativity

:FIREdevil: 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Don't worry about Smazza.  His real favorite teams, Rutgers and USC, are safely ensconced in the P5.  His worst fear is that USF will move up into the P5, then he'll have to find something new to complain* about. 

* - it's not really complaining when you really don't give a ****, which I think by now it's safe to say about our esteemed wealthy L.A. attorney.  

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

our conference mates that went to the big 10 and acc are laughing at us

we are no longer a big time football program

you can rationalize and and try to kid yourself but we are in the minor leagues of college football

So what is your solution? It is easy to piss and moan.

...you can rationalize and and try to kid yourself but we are in the minor leagues of college football

Indeed! We are now second class citizens, and I dare say you'd be hard pressed to find someone who would disagree with that position. There is a dividing line between the P(5) and the G(5), and we are on the less desirable side of the velvet rope. 

Given where we reside, what do we do? Do we moan and wail and rend our garments? What - if anything - does saying the same old thing over and over and over accomplish? Does it change, let alone improve our situation? I hardly think so. We've had plenty of time to squirt tears and snot our collective nose over how things ended up, but the time for acceptance is now. Regardless of what thin strands of hope some cling to that the phone is gonna ring any day now, August is on the way...

Should we close the program down? Is it an all-or-none proposition?  Like it or not, the objective going forward is to make the best of the existing situation. If we were of the mindset to shut down, mail it in on account of we're not national championship material, the basketball program would have folded long ago. We are not now, nor were we ever 'big time'. Look at our winning percentage since the inception of the program. There's no rationalization nor self delusion here, just an accurate assessment of where the program is and what needs to be done. And if you find it too painful or humiliating to watch, I'm pretty sure there's other games on TV during this time slot.

Sincerely,

Mr. Negativity

:FIREdevil: 

Wooly is a much better writer and probably more articulate than I am.  This pretty much sums up what I have been trying to say.