• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Doug Woolard: USF Serious About an On-Campus Football Stadium Now

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  399
  • Days Won:  0

If they were to build either south of the Sun Dome or north of the practice facility, Athletics would have to buy the fields from campus rec (yes, it may all be university property, but these departments have to 'buy' the property because they are part of their budget).  It also means Campus Rec would demand money for a new sports facility with fields (possibly with more softball fields). Not sure if they would have room for something like that on-campus or they might look to FSU who built a massive field complex off campus (5 softball diamonds, 21 fields, 4 of which are for lacross & rugby). Again, not sure if the university has the money to buy land elsewhere in the area to build something like that.

Property can most certainly be reassigned, swapped or transferred between departments if the University wants it to be.  This is not two separate entities where one needs to be made whole.  It is cheaper to build on the open campus rec fields than it is to redevelop land with existing facilities, the rec field would just end up somewhere else.   

The bigger obstacle is the Patel building and what is planned around it.  If the plans (which I obviously havent seen) do call for an expansion of the footprint of academic buildings around Patel then a stadium in that area may not be possible.

• Topic Count:  2,343
  • Content Count:  21,362
  • Days Won:  10

I believe it has been said before that the focus would be on the indoor training facility before an OCS, if that is the case then where would that fit in on the master plan?

Yes, and he just said the same thing at the Around the Horns meeting.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Get the right funding, they should add a rock climbing wall/ rappelling tower,etc...

Is that a metaphor? 

No, a suggestion! :D

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  1,055
  • Days Won:  2

^that is a pretty cool idea

kinda like that random zip line park they have down the street on Fletcher (at least I think it belongs to USF)

I didnt know about this can you post or PM me some info so I can go this wekend while Im in Tampa/

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

kinda like that random zip line park they have down the street on Fletcher (at least I think it belongs to USF)

I didnt know about this can you post or PM me some info so I can go this wekend while Im in Tampa/

It's at MOSI:

http://www.mosi.org/what-to-do/sky-trail-ropes-course.aspx

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  8
  • Days Won:  0

No he's talking about riverfront park

http://usfweb2.usf.edu/CampusRec/Outdoor/high_ropes.html

Pretty sure it's no more than $15/person. Bring water (no waterfountains) and sun screen. Also you have to make a reservation, can't just show up and do it. They have to make sure the proper staff will be there

Edited by Verdandi888

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

It's Riverfront Park.  Its always been USF property since the school opened. The original plan was to develop that entire stretch from what is today the Claw to the river, including a President's house right on the river. But I think it was all scrapped because of the wetlands and such, which is why we can't really touch any of that property.

If they were to build either south of the Sun Dome or north of the practice facility, Athletics would have to buy the fields from campus rec (yes, it may all be university property, but these departments have to 'buy' the property because they are part of their budget).  It also means Campus Rec would demand money for a new sports facility with fields (possibly with more softball fields). Not sure if they would have room for something like that on-campus or they might look to FSU who built a massive field complex off campus (5 softball diamonds, 21 fields, 4 of which are for lacross & rugby). Again, not sure if the university has the money to buy land elsewhere in the area to build something like that.

Property can most certainly be reassigned, swapped or transferred between departments if the University wants it to be.  This is not two separate entities where one needs to be made whole.  It is cheaper to build on the open campus rec fields than it is to redevelop land with existing facilities, the rec field would just end up somewhere else.   

The bigger obstacle is the Patel building and what is planned around it.  If the plans (which I obviously havent seen) do call for an expansion of the footprint of academic buildings around Patel then a stadium in that area may not be possible.

The property cannot simply be reassigned. It's an actual transaction between the departments. This happened when the old football practice fields were made into the new sports club fields, when half of the IM softball fields were used to build the new football practice facility, and when the "upper IM fields" were made into Corbett Stadium.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

It's Riverfront Park.  Its always been USF property since the school opened. The original plan was to develop that entire stretch from what is today the Claw to the river, including a President's house right on the river. But I think it was all scrapped because of the wetlands and such, which is why we can't really touch any of that property.

The property cannot simply be reassigned. It's an actual transaction between the departments. This happened when the old football practice fields were made into the new sports club fields, when half of the IM softball fields were used to build the new football practice facility, and when the "upper IM fields" were made into Corbett Stadium.

Both true.

I believe besides the President residence, the original 50's/60's plans had the dorms up there was well.

And you'd be surprised how the transaction rules applies to everything, from land (as mentioned) to an office desk.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Both true.

I believe besides the President residence, the original 50's/60's plans had the dorms up there was well.

And you'd be surprised how the transaction rules applies to everything, from land (as mentioned) to an office desk.

Yeah, its been a while since I've seen the original plans, but I believe the dorms up in that area were going to be family dorms much like what Magnolia Apartments are today.

I really wish the campus had been a half mile or so the east where the Hillsborough River was either the edge of campus or ran through it. It would make the campus so much more iconic.