• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

RUMOR- around USF area...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  0

Want to stress that this is just what I overheard at a dinner with some Architects and Engineers this past weekend. They were talking about a project near the USF Campus (between Busch Gardens and Fowler) that will be very Similar to Downtown Disney. One particular person said plans had been drawn up to have a multi-use restaurant/shops/entertainment.

I have NO IDEA if this will actually get the "Green Light" but if so, would be a great addition to the area near our campus.

Hope it's true, but who knows...

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

That'd be great...and well needed in that part of town.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

There are already like three of these places in the Tampa area. I know it will never happen, but I'd like to see someone commit to making the area around USF more collegiate.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

what about apartments?

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293

most of all the "new" development money and investments are being made in the westshore area near the airport and international mall.  

i doubt this project sees light.  face it...the area around USF is just too run down for any investor to pull the trigger on this.  look what happened to baywalk.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  399

The problem in this area is there arent enough contiguous vacant parcels to build.  The space between BG and USF has been desired to be many things over time; research park expansion, OCS site, recently USF Tampa campus had to be passed over for a potential medical facility (I forget which, biotech maybe?) all because while the location is ideal, there just isnt enough room that already hasnt been spoken for around.

This area is in serious need of redevelopment and infill, with the university mall being candidate number 1.  Downtown Temple Terrace cant even get a glorified strip mall built with a huge government subsidy and I dont think a Riverwalk (absent any natural attraction) type place would either work or fit.  It would be great to see something done with it however.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

ntsh

Edited by Bull-by-Marriage

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  863
  • Days Won:  1

Actually,

I recall Charlie Crist leading a movement to modify the landscape around the USF area. It was featured in the Oracle and I do remember seeing it elsewhere. 

I don't have the time to look up said information (midterm in an hour!), but I remember they were going to try to re-shape the purpose of the area pretty much from New Tampa down to like Hillsborough and generally around the main campus. One section was supposed to be a sort of "entertainment district" and there was one for studying or something along those lines..

The idea was to beautify and "clean up" (see: homelessness & poverty) some of the area so it was more attractive to potential students and whomever. 

• Topic Count:  205
  • Content Count:  2,187
  • Days Won:  2

They've been pushing dirt on the southeast corner of the BBD/Fowler intersection. I wonder what that's for.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,639
  • Days Won:  424

They've been pushing dirt on the southeast corner of the BBD/Fowler intersection. I wonder what that's for.

There's a sign on the ne corner that I think mentioned drainage or storm water but haven't found one on the south side yet