• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

RUMOR- around USF area...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Actually,

I recall Charlie Crist leading a movement to modify the landscape around the USF area. It was featured in the Oracle and I do remember seeing it elsewhere. 

Not Charlie, you're likely referring to Victor Crist. His redevelopment plans for the University Area were picking up steam, but then the real estate market bottomed out. Redevelopment of "suit case city" has been Hillsborough County's pet project for a while now; there just hasn't been the tax revenue the last few years. If the Big 5 (USF, Moffit, Busch Gardens, the Veteran's Alliance, and Hillsborough County) can get money and investors lined up to address the university area, you may see movement again. I wouldn't hold your breath though, the gentrification of the university area moves at glacial speeds.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Actually,

I recall Charlie Crist leading a movement to modify the landscape around the USF area. It was featured in the Oracle and I do remember seeing it elsewhere. 

Not Charlie, you're likely referring to Victor Crist. His redevelopment plans for the University Area were picking up steam, but then the real estate market bottomed out. Redevelopment of "suit case city" has been Hillsborough County's pet project for a while now; there just hasn't been the tax revenue the last few years. If the Big 5 (USF, Moffit, Busch Gardens, the Veteran's Alliance, and Hillsborough County) can get money and investors lined up to address the university area, you may see movement again. I wouldn't hold your breath though, the gentrification of the university area moves at glacial speeds.

The redevelopment is still ongoing.

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Want to stress that this is just what I overheard at a dinner with some Architects and Engineers this past weekend. They were talking about a project near the USF Campus (between Busch Gardens and Fowler) that will be very Similar to Downtown Disney. One particular person said plans had been drawn up to have a multi-use restaurant/shops/entertainment.

I have NO IDEA if this will actually get the "Green Light" but if so, would be a great addition to the area near our campus.

Hope it's true, but who knows...

This really isn't a rumor, much less recent news. 

There has been plans to create an "Innovation Destination" for the past 2 years.  I remember threads about this on this board when it was announced.  It's a partnership of USF, Busch Gardens, and some of the surrounding hospitals.

The issue is that all of the groups can't agree (yet) on how to proceed.

Here are some articles about it.  This is in one of the articles, which many here will zone in on (and will cause disagreement):

"Crist, who has spent years working on behalf of the university area, has a grand vision for the Busch Gardens/USF area. He foresees a San Antonio-style riverfront for the Hillsborough River, on an admittedly smaller scale near Sulphur Springs, a new stadium for USF’s football team near the old dog track and, possibly, a Tampa Bay Rays stadium in the area."

http://tbo.com/news/usf-area-to-get-makeover-399324

http://ntneighborhoodnews.com/en/new_tampa_issue_15_12/news/1376/Crist-Calls-Redevelopment-District-‘Innovation-Destination’-Victor-Crist-hillsborough-county-new-tampa-development-election-USF-area.htm

http://tbo.com/news/progress-sluggish-on-rejuvenating-usf-zone-b82485785z1

Would be awesome for Tampa, USF and BG. Hope this works out. Would this project effect an OCS in anyway?

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  863
  • Days Won:  1

me

Dogma's post

Victor Crist, not Charlie. My bad.

Still, this is what I was referring to above. 

Actually,

Not Charlie, you're likely referring to Victor Crist. 

I realized that when Dogma made his post. I remembered the last name Crist and forgot about Victor. :P

I know lots of people enjoy really scary roller coaster rides...I don't particularly like 'em.  To me a 500 foot free fall is called a bad accident...not fun!  I like the beer at Busch Gardens and the water rides, but I don't like the real crazy roller coaster rides.

I would drive to Ohio to experience Cedar Point and King's Island (and all of the glorious coasters there) instead of going to Bush Gardens sometimes, for this reason. I love roller coasters, and there are so many of them in other theme parks around the country that are magnitudes higher, faster, and better than a lot of the ones at Bush.  And I did go to those two parks last summer, on a road trip with some friends. 

True, Montu is rated very highly across Roller Coaster enthusiasts, but to have the opportunity to ride a beauty like Millennium Force or Top Thrill Dragster... man.  

My main complaint about Bush is the only real things you can do there are their roller coasters. And there's only 4-5 of them (Kumba, Montu, Cheetah Hunt, Sheikra, Gwazi, though Gwazi is almost always broken down or half of it isn't running) to go to.  I mean, they have other rides, but they're mostly carnival rides. And I don't spend 80 bucks to see some animals. I have a pass so I may visit them sometimes, but that's not the point. 

I was told by an old coworker who also worked at bush that a new coaster is their next project, and it might be indoors. 

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

most of all the "new" development money and investments are being made in the westshore area near the airport and international mall.  

i doubt this project sees light.  face it...the area around USF is just too run down for any investor to pull the trigger on this.  look what happened to baywalk.

What happened at Baywalk?

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

most of all the "new" development money and investments are being made in the westshore area near the airport and international mall.  

i doubt this project sees light.  face it...the area around USF is just too run down for any investor to pull the trigger on this.  look what happened to baywalk.

Sounds like the plot for a new daytime drama...

Harry loves Sally who loves Linda who loves Harry's little brother.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

In St. Pete? That's the only Baywalk I know. That was sold to a company owned by mortgage mogul Bill Edwards. It's in the process of redevelopment as well. But that's a much further along project than what's speculated for the university area. As I said before redevelopment is taking place, nothing as on as a grand a scale as is being speculated in this thread, but it's moving really, really slowly.