• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Brandon Mitchell QB Arkansas Immed elig in fall

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  335
  • Days Won:  2

Looks like we're in it...

Per Joe Schad

@schadjoe: Among the schools former Arkansas QB Brandon Mitchell are considering transferring to are NC State, USF and UAB, according to person...

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

We're going to be in it for every QB transferring until we land one. Should show us how garbage our QB's are.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

We're going to be in it for every QB transferring until we land one. Should show us how garbage our QB's are.

Do we need any more proof?

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  342
  • Days Won:  2

I feel like we got a pretty sweet gig at USF too. Any transfer that comes in would surely be our starting QB, you would think... We have great WR and TE targets and I think we're going to start to establish a solid running game to take some pressure off. We are in a terrible conference, but we've had enough players drafted that it shouldn't be too much of a worry for the transfers. If you're a good player, you should be a good player almost anywhere and people will recognize it.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,048
  • Days Won:  11

The unfortunate part from the Bulls' standpoint is that we may be last in line on this. Not only is there speculation that he could go to a team closer to his home in Louisiana like La Tech, UL-Monroe, UL-Lafayette or Tulane, there's also speculation he could re-join Bobby Petrino at Western Kentucky, Paul Petrino at Idaho, or Garrick McGee at UAB.

Of those teams, La Tech, Tulane and Western Kentucky lost senior starters at QB.

Tulane (2-10), Idaho (1-11) and UAB (3-9) were poor teams in 2012. But so was USF (3-9).

La Tech (9-3), UL-Lafayette (9-4), UL-Monroe (8-5) and Western Kentucky (7-6) were all successful.

I haven't seen a short list for him yet. But I'm guessing the Louisiana schools and the schools that have coaches he has experience with would constitute the short list, along with PERHAPS South Florida just by virtue of us so publicly needing a quarterback. What could be going in our favor is that Mitchell can't give any team more than one year. Some of those teams just won't even want to get into it with a guy that can only give them one year.

I'm mostly spending time on the guy because I think he'll be a guy to talk about in the 2014 NFL Draft. Not necessarily a top tier guy but if B.J. Daniels can go 7th round based on a pure combination of feet and arm talent, then I think this guy could as well.

Didn't LA-Tech just pick up a former 3-9 coach :D

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  957
  • Days Won:  1

Didn't LA-Tech just pick up a former 3-9 coach :D

Oh schnykies, is that where Skip went? LOL!

I cared so little for him by the time he left that I didn't even bother finding out where he was off to next.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

South Florida, NC State, UAB, Louisiana Tech and Northwestern State

I think we can work with this.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  957
  • Days Won:  1

That short list has two surprising schools on it. I wouldn't have expected NC State although given their strong interest in Asiantii Woulard I suppose it makes sense. I do recall during the Asiantii Woulard battle that NC State was also considered right along with South Florida as a school where AW may start immediately. I'm not sure if there's any personal connections there or what.

As for Louisiana Tech and Northwestern State, I wouldn't have expected him to be entertaining interest from a FCS school at this juncture (Northwestern State) but it's highly unsurprising he's considering schools closer to home in Louisiana. Perhaps the FCS school is kind of the backup plan in case the flirtation with the bigger programs doesn't make him feel like he's got a good chance of starting right away.

The ringer at this point has to be UAB. Garrick McGee is loved by his players. It's not surprising that Mitchell feels like he's got a special relationship with McGee. Furthermore, Birmingham is a lot closer to home for him than South Florida. The thing that IS mildly surprising is that Garrick McGee would be interested in Mitchell coming in for one year. Austin Brown finished out the final 9 games in 2012 and was an All Conference Freshman selection. But perhaps Brown isn't really McGee's flavor. McGee seems enamoured with newcomer Jeremiah Briscoe who is a 4-star recruit according to ESPN. He could be thinking that Mitchell is the one year bridge until Briscoe is ready.

This one is going to be a dog fight. I think if UAB is ready to offer the starting job to Mitchell, they get him.

If Skip Holtz successfully recruits this guy to La Tech away from South Florida, so help me god...

Edited by ckparrothead

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

Love the fact that he competed in 2 sports AND graduated with 2 years of eligibility. 

Does he have 1 or 2 years of eligibility left?