• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Brandon Mitchell QB Arkansas Immed elig in fall

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Eliminating NCSt right after Mitchell confirms his transfer? Yea, that says it all.

He said he eliminated NCSU?

According to Joe Schad,yes. We really need to quit running concurrent threads on different forums.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  957
  • Days Won:  1

Actually I could've swore he was already there today and will be there tomorrow.

There aren't any indications he has his mind made up but NC State may have just made his mind up for him.

For all the reasons I posted in the other thread, I still don't see how Mitchell influences Bench's decision one way or the other.

I think it absolutely influences Bench. I think it would be silly to think it doens't. The option of starting right away in 2013 was THERE, and now it probably isn't. Plain and simple. Just because it doesn't totally destroy the set of reasons he would go to NC State, doesn't mean this development doesn't serious damage those set of reasons.

I understanding the concept of digging in your heels and sticking with what you believe, but I don't think this is a position worth digging in your heels about. You're very likely to end up wrong, IMO. I do not think Bench is choosing NC State now that Mitchell is there.

The more I think on it, the more NC State made perfect sense for Brandon Mitchell. First off, USF didn't really show a high amount of interest so there's that. They talked, but they didn't show a high amount of enthusiasm or interest.

NC State is an ACC school which means decent competition. The coaching staff and system produced Chandler Harnish and Jordan Lynch, both highly productive college athletes. They inherit Pete Thomas, the pro style Colorado State transfer, but I doubt they like him. He's not their style at all. No wonder they made heavy plays first for Asiantii Woulard, then Jacoby Brissett, then Steven Bench (who can run and throw on the run as I've noted) and now Brandon Mitchell. It couldn't be more obvious what they're going for, here. Mitchell represents a potential bridge to Brissett.

What settles it for me is that if he starts this year (which I consider to be a near certainty), he'll have between 600 and 700 film reps with the football in his hands to impress the NFL scouts any way he can, for whatever position they have in mind. He could stay at Arkansas and make a LATE move back to receiver (Bielema wasn't done with the QB competition yet) and then end up the #3 receiving option there where in Wisconsin the #2 receiving option got 27 catches and the #3 got 17 catches. Of those catches maybe only 10 or 12 of them would turn into opportunities to show what kind of play maker he can be with the football in his hands. Or, he could go to NC State whose coaches gave Chandler Harnish and Jordan Lynch an average of over 630 opportunities to impress the scouts with the football in their hands in 2011 and 2012. Even if wide receiver does end up this guy's future at the NFL level, he's infinitely better off getting those 600 opportunities than the bare 20 or so opportunities he'd get at Arkansas as a straight wide receiver.

I would like to think Willie Taggart would've tailored the offense to Mitchell's skill set at USF, like his mentor Jim Harbaugh has done with Alex Smith and then Colin Kaepernick at San Francisco. I don't know whether he would have or not. But it may have been trying to stick a round peg in a square hole. Even though Mitchell has to go out and learn a totally new offense with new terminology and concepts...he may be better off with it being more fit to his strengths as a player.

I really look forward to watching him play. I hope he does well.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

@schadjoe: So former PSU QB Steven Bench will choose between USF and Miss St which he'll visit Tuesday/Wednesday.