• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Brandon Mitchell QB Arkansas Immed elig in fall

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

The big question is why he's not starting now that Tyler Wilson is gone.

Apparently not doing real well with the new regime ...

The senior competed with sophomore Brandon Allen throughout the spring, hoping to replace former first-team All-Southeastern Conference performer Tyler Wilson as the starting quarterback. Mitchell struggled to adapt to new offensive coordinator Jim Chaney's offense, however, and was listed as the second-team quarterback following the completion of the school's Red-White game ....

The 6-foot-4, 239-pound Mitchell moved back to quarterback after Bielema's hiring in December, hoping his experience would help him supplant Allen as the starter. However, he struggled initially with the new terminology in Chaney's offense as well as with interceptions - throwing one in the red zone during the Razorbacks spring game.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/four-players-transferring-arkansas-bret-bielema-quarterback-brandon-mitchell-austin-flynn-defonta-lowe-keante-minor-050613

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  957
  • Days Won:  1

I believe Mitchell only has one year of eligibility remaining.

Incidentally CWT's offense is the WCO, whereas Petrino's offense is sort of a hybrid of the WCO, a variant...but very similar. When Ryan Mallett came out he openly labeled what he'd been working in for the past three years under Petrino (and Garrick McGee) to be a West Coast Offense. That was one reason he claimed he'd have a smooth transition to Jay Gruden's WCO if he were to be drafted by the Bengals.

Just thought I would put that out there if folks were wondering how quickly Mitchell could grasp CWT's offense, especially since he apparently had some trouble quickly grasping Bielema's offense (which is not WCO).

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Love the fact that he competed in 2 sports AND graduated with 2 years of eligibility. 

Does he have 1 or 2 years of eligibility left? 

Read somewhere he had 2 left, (or was thinking about Trickett), but he's a 2009 HS grad so that doesn't make sense. I would imagine it's one. i don't feel too bad though the link to his name in the ESPN article above takes you to a DE from Cincy. These QB's are all starting to morph into one guy that couldn't earn the starting spot wherever they were at.

Edited by Bullwinkle
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  335
  • Days Won:  2

@schadjoe: Former Arkansas QB Brandon Mitchell plans to visit NC State this weekend

That's interesting. The offense there I don't believe is at all related to what he learned at Arkansas under Petrino. Although when Mitchell was in the games in 2012 under John L. Smith the circumstances in which he threw the ball especially against Alabama were very read-option type plays, which would be closer to what he'd run at NC State.

If he's open to schools other than UAB then USF may have a shot. Hope we get him. He's not a savior but I'll be damned if I wouldn't have more confidence in the team with him running the point than with Floyd or Eveld.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,421
  • Days Won:  3

the list expands...

This week, it was announced that quarterback Brandon Mitchell would be transferring from Arkansas, and the senior is eligible to play this fall. He informed Pack Pride on Wednesday that he is considering NC State, Michigan, South Florida, UAB, Kent State,Louisiana Tech, Alabama A & M, and Northwestern

http://northcarolinastate.scout.com/2/1290431.html

Edited by bull-71

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,035
  • Days Won:  20

That's interesting. The offense there I don't believe is at all related to what he learned at Arkansas under Petrino. Although when Mitchell was in the games in 2012 under John L. Smith the circumstances in which he threw the ball especially against Alabama were very read-option type plays, which would be closer to what he'd run at NC State.

Jordan Lynch had a helluva year last year at NIU under Dave Doeren. He brought Matt Canada with him to NC State who I believe was Lynch's QB coach in 2011 as well. If this guys' an athlete, Lynch is who he'd want to be like. Passing: 237/394 for 3138 yds 25TD/6INT; Rushing: 294 for 1815 yds 19 TD in 2012.

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  335
  • Days Won:  2

@schadjoe: Add Michigan today to list of possible landing spots for former Arkansas QB Brandon Mitchell. UAB, NC State still strong.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

UAB????

Jordan Lynch had a helluva year last year at NIU under Dave Doeren. He brought Matt Canada with him to NC State who I believe was Lynch's QB coach in 2011 as well. If this guys' an athlete, Lynch is who he'd want to be like. Passing: 237/394 for 3138 yds 25TD/6INT; Rushing: 294 for 1815 yds 19 TD in 2012.

I realize that. But you have to realize what I'm trying to say. This guy has ONE year left. That's it. This is his one shot to be impressive. Jordan Lynch had a great year in that system and that's all fine and good, but it's not a familiar system at all. The concepts are different. The terminology is likely different. He's going to have one summer to get the playbook and the system's tendencies down well enough to perform. Even if the system has the potential to tailor to your strengths and weaknesses, there's a significant barrier to entry from a mental standpoint learning an entirely new, unfamiliar system. And you've only got one year to do this so it's not like you can have the year trying to get used to the system and then go out and rock out the next year.

That's why I'm saying that the instinct to run to a school that operates an offense with more familiar concepts and terminology to what he's already learned will be very strong for him. That's the allure that UAB has with Garrick McGee. I think South Florida has something of an advantage in this regard over an NC State because Petrino's system with Garrick McGee utilized a lot of the same concepts as Taggart's WCO. Ryan Mallett flat out said he considers himself as having played in the WCO under Petrino. There are some differences. Petrino likes to modify his shallow cross concept to where the back leaks out to the same side as the crosser. That's an innovation on an old classic WCO concept. But there are still a lot of similarities.