• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Went to edit this again but ran out of time...mods please remove the post above The only "big, strong, tough, workhorse type back" we have would be Willie Davis, Mike Pierre and our incoming freshman backs. Coach Taggart has spoken highly of Shaw and Pierre this spring though. If they continue to work the way they have, I'd expect to see both of them splitting time come fall. I liked Davis in the spring game, I hope Coach T lets him run some of that power O...kid is BIG. Came in at 5'11 190, looks to be 200+ now and can move. http://rivals.yahoo.com/usf/football/recruiting/player-Willie-Davis-105027 3* Marcus Shaw came in at 5'8 187 NR Mike Pierre came in at 5'11 200 and databull, there are other rb's on our roster. He could have spoken highly of any other RBs. When asked who stands out right now, he said Shaw and Pierre. Hey we can both hope for the best....we need some heavy downhill backs.

Edited by Hem

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,035
  • Days Won:  20

What is interesting is that a kid in high school, McCray, his name is in EA Sports NCAA Football 13. Brad Nessler actually says his name in the game when he's given the ball. No wonder they are being sued, lol. And I bet these high school kids have no idea their last names are already in the game in the form of audio files.

You can't copyright a last name so EA is free to use them. 'McCray' has been a last name in the game for years. The game has a bank of the most common last names in audio form so that the commentators can speak them. When each high school season starts, it assigns each player a first and last name randomly (one of the reasons the load time is so long; it's assigning names to hundreds of players). If you create a player with the last name of McCray, Nessler will speak his name. If you use a name not in the bank, Nessler might refer to him by his number or just call him 'he.'

Same thing with the names of high schools, the game has a bank of several cities in each state and when the season starts, since EA doesn't have time to research or license all of the high schools in the US, it assigns a random city name to each opposing high school. So, you won't see Plant HS or Armwood HS, but instead Tampa HS, Spring Hill HS, etc.

The reason EA is being sued is for using NCAA players images without licensing them. The HS kids are randomly generated by the computer so they don't correspond to anyone in particular. However, each college roster is deliberately hand programmed with the corresponding real life players number, position, build, skin tone, equipment, and relative skill level. The only thing they don't put in is the players name which is what EA argues keeps them from having to license their appearance.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

This year they toned that down. It has the players height and weight, corresponding skill level, year, uniform umber, etc., but they started giving them different hometowns and looks than the real thing. For instance, BJ isn't from Tallahassee anymore and his looks aren't nearly as obvious. But all of his measurables match up and you'd be an idiot not to recognize QB #7. Al players currently on the roster when you start just get a name that's the position and number, but you're right about the future players, they just draw from a bank and mix and match names to assign to everyone.

Edited by JTrue

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

The only "big, strong, tough, workhorse type back" we have would be Willie Davis and our incoming freshman backs. Coach Taggart has spoken highly of Shaw and Pierre this spring. If they continue to work the way they have, I'd expect to see both of them splitting time come fall. I liked Davis in the spring game, I hope Coach T lets him run some of that power O...kid is BIG. Came in at 5'11 190, looks to be 200+ now.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/usf/football/recruiting/player-Willie-Davis-105027

Of course he has spoken highly of Shaw and Pierre.  He isn't going to speak negatively of any of his players to the media and he can't talk about the incoming freshmen.

You have a right to your opinion, and I've given mine.  We'll see how it plays out.

Weren't incoming freshmen talked about on Signing Day? Or did you mean can;t talk about them because he hasn't seen them within the context of the team ...?

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

it will be an open competition

let the best man take the job

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  1,166
  • Days Won:  3

They need to bulk up quite a bit. Our RB's are quite small compared to other teams. A 180 lb RB does not fit well in a power running game. Taggart already said the team is going to hit the weights hard over the summer. Hopefully they can gain an extra 15-20lbs over that span. We saw how much Lindsey Lamar improved after he hit the weights (no longer taken down by arm tackles).

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

No one knows what the RB situation is until the season starts. You can't tell diddly from a spring game and unless you are at all the practices you haven't a clue on who is getting snaps. That's what really matters, not what happened in the spring game or past seasons. Players get better over time and their weight can change. Just have to wait and see.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,421
  • Days Won:  3

The only "big, strong, tough, workhorse type back" we have would be Willie Davis and our incoming freshman backs. Coach Taggart has spoken highly of Shaw and Pierre this spring. If they continue to work the way they have, I'd expect to see both of them splitting time come fall. I liked Davis in the spring game, I hope Coach T lets him run some of that power O...kid is BIG. Came in at 5'11 190, looks to be 200+ now.

Of course he has spoken highly of Shaw and Pierre.  He isn't going to speak negatively of any of his players to the media and he can't talk about the incoming freshmen.

You have a right to your opinion, and I've given mine.  We'll see how it plays out.

Weren't incoming freshmen talked about on Signing Day? Or did you mean can;t talk about them because he hasn't seen them within the context of the team ...?

Kennard Swanson  RB Lake Gibson is BIG 245# 6' and was a late signee...Any one have an update...possible grade issues????

Edited by bull-71

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Yeah, what can he say about them?  McCray has looked great out there?

• 3 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  957
  • Days Won:  1

I've been looking at Darius Tice a little bit more and he's growing on me. I'm intrigued with his vision and quick decision making out of the backfield. There are things he sees and reacts to more quickly and in better rhythm than most guys.

He's a daylight runner that isn't all that interesting in a make-you-miss way in the open field, and he doesn't play as big as his size listing, doesn't have an innate physicality to him. That all sounds bad but there have been successful pros that weren't necessarily much different. His daylight instincts, vision and decision making should catch the coaches' attention because he should be fairly reliable not to take losses, and that's a really big deal to a lot of coaches. You run the ball, you can't afford a loss of yards, or even a 0 yard gain. You want a guy that you feel is going to consistently get you out of trouble in the backfield and get himself into the blocking scheme.

Some of the stuff on video is pretty impressive, him seeing things before he's got the handoff secured and already having an in-rhythm plan for where he's going to go with the football right as he's taking the ball. He'll regularly make cuts away from crashing defenders one step after securing the ball, and make them look natural. And he's not at all predictable with the cuts. Some guys can cut like that but it's always going to be to the back side. They're not really seeing things with 20/20 vision, they just see a flash of danger and cut to the back side. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Tice is seeing it. I say that because sometimes he cuts back side and sometimes he bounces outside on the play side when he sees a crashing defender.

You could see him getting carries within his first few years here because the coaches should end up convinced he's pretty reliable. And at his size (which I'd guess to be around 5'11" and 205 lbs), you're not really worried about some of the issues you worry about with small guys (injuries, fumbling, etc).

It'll be interesting to watch. Maybe I'm way off and he sucks...but I don't think so.