• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Good USF Men's Basketball vs. Bad USF Men's Basketball

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

For years, I had always thought that we needed a whole team of superstars to really do well (make the NCAA Tournament, get ranked, etc.). But last year proved that it's about team chemistry more than superstars. And if nothing else, this year certified that fact.

By the way, I still feel that Seth had more talent on one floor than any USF coach ever had on a team. Too bad the X's and O's were lacking.

So my question is this, as we move forward in almost every way with a new conference and a whole bunch of new players, how confident are you that we'll see another USF NCAA Tournament bid within the next three years?

Frankly, I'm more confident about USF football going to a bowl and possibly even getting ranked within the next three years than men's basketball making it back to the Tourney in the same time frame.

I wish I could bullieve that bad basketball is all behind us now that we have the facilities, a great class coming in, etc.

Do you BULLIEVE? ---I need some converting!

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

USF should make the tournament this coming season barring major injuries. In fact there is no excuse for USF not consistently being 1 of the top 4 teams in the America 12. This conference is probably only going to get 4 automatic bids to the NCAAT, 5 in a good season so USF should be in the conversation, especially if Heath or whoever coaches beef up the non conference schedule.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

I hate basketball, but last years team captured my attention... Was hoping for the same this year

• Topic Count:  257
  • Content Count:  2,408
  • Days Won:  5

Vega is right we should be in the conversation for NCAA within the next 1-3 years.  Footaball everyone make a bowl game if you are .500 so the timetable might be a push

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

It never takes a team of superstars in any organization. A team of superstars on a sports team is usually a recipe for difficult because there will be too many egos to have good chemistry.

All we need is a complete roster of average to good high D1 level talent to compete. Then it is up to the coach to make them gel as a team and make it work. That is what we had last year. This year we were missing parts and (my opinion) because of lack of experience with too many new guys we didn't have a full roster of average talent a all positions and too many first year players to gel and play as a team.

I think next year will be better, but again, too many new players expected to play big roles to expect anything more than a bubble team. 2 years from now I'm expecting a start of at least a couple of years of NCAA tourney runs.

Its too early to know how long that run could last. We don't have any idea how much the BE affiliation will hurt recruiting or if we can get a couple of tourney years back to back how that may affect recruiting positively.

In my opinion the foundation has now been poured, how it solidifies is the unknown

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Vega is right we should be in the conversation for NCAA within the next 1-3 years.  

Vega said we should be dancing NEXT year, barring injuries .... 84's outlook is a lot more realistic. We're going to have more overall talent but less experience .... but also in an "easier" conference ... lots of variables that come into play.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  126
  • Days Won:  0

I have been a Bulls basketball fan since my freshman year ('80).  I've been a season ticket holder off and on for probably 15 years.  This past season, though, was my first in a number of years.  Although I've attended games every year, my enthusiasm for this season was heightened enough to take the plunge again.  The team's performance last year as well as the refurbished Sun Dome provided the push.  I was thinking the sky was the ceiling and tickets may eventually be hard to come by in the near future.  Last season I saw that although we didn't have a superstar (ie Dojo) we played selflessly as a team with no one minding who got the accolades.  That only happens when a team buys into the coach and his philosophy.  I knew we were losing some talent (Gilchrist, Anderson, Robertson) but with Austin coming in I was trusting that a couple other new players would step in as well as returning players step up.  When Austin didn't make it in, I saw the handwriting on the wall for this season.  Without him, the dominoes began falling for numerous players to play out of position or to play minutes they should never have gotten.  I again am optimistic about next year.  I see what we have coming in and its good.  In my opinion we still need another big man to get us adequate depth for the front line.  Heath seems to be going hard after Henry and I would love to have him because he would be a match-up nightmare for most PFs.  If we land him, we could have possibly our most talented squad ever.  But we will be YOUNG.  Optimism will need to be tempered with that reality.  Having said that, our future looks fairly bright.

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

I want more than wins

I want watchable offense. . .

I heart USF but I seriously stopped watching early on this year. . . Nothing to do with losing (god knows I've seen my shares of losses). The offense was abhorrent and impossible to watch.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

I want more than wins

I want watchable offense. . .

I heart USF but I seriously stopped watching early on this year. . . Nothing to do with losing (god knows I've seen my shares of losses). The offense was abhorrent and impossible to watch.

At what point did you stop watching last year?

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

next year, fairly young, should be pretty talented.  Don't see NCAA in our future.

NCAA will be or should be:

Memphis

Cincy

Temple

UConn

We are behind those teams