• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East TV Deal

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  160
  • Days Won:  2

Now that ESPN has matched, can NBC up their bid? Would that require the presidents to reject the deal and throw it into the open market? At this point, I'd say reject it and at least try and get NBC, CBS, ESPN bidding. It might be worth a few more bucks and it certainly can't be worth less.

it stands to reason that NBC could not up the bid, otherwise the clause would be meanigles, of no value to ESPN.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

I think 3-ish

Yes, it's between 3 and 4

Is there anyone out there that thinks we SHOULD get more than that? Or even a similar amount? If so, based on what? This league is worth FAR less than what it has been.

If you're saying more than the $1.8M, I agree. Based on getting between 3 and 4 before, and I'm assuming this is for football and basketball, the 1.8 seems about right. The highest profile athletic programs of the NBE are all basketball, UConn, Cincy and Memphis .... What are the other conferences getting per team?

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  160
  • Days Won:  2

KEY QUOTE FROM THAT PIECE:

"ESPN matched the financial aspect, sources said. However, Big East commissioner Mike Aresco must be satisfied ESPN's deal matches NBC Sports Network's offer in all facets. Once that is concluded, the Big East presidents must approve the new deal. They could vote on accepting the deal as early as this weekend, sources said."

ESPN is NOT required to match any aspect of the offer from NBC, financial or otherwise. The contract clause gives them the right to make a counter-offer once the Big East has received a final offer from another network. We use the term "match" to describe this because we assume nobody would take a lesser offer, but ESPN could make a lesser offer. The Big East is then free to sign the ESPN offer or the NBC offer.

That is what is happening now: the Big East presidents are voting whether to take the ESPN or NBC offers. There will be no other bidding.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Now that ESPN has matched, can NBC up their bid? Would that require the presidents to reject the deal and throw it into the open market? At this point, I'd say reject it and at least try and get NBC, CBS, ESPN bidding. It might be worth a few more bucks and it certainly can't be worth less.

it stands to reason that NBC could not up the bid, otherwise the clause would be meanigles, of no value to ESPN.

While this is true, Aresco and the presidents must agree that the deal matches BOTH monetarily and exposure-wise. If ESPN refuses to do so, then we can say no to them. As of right now, if you scroll up and read my quoted paragraph from ESPN, they have only matched monetarily.

What I'm unsure of is what happens if we say no? Do we then have to accept NBC's deal? Or can we say F Off to both and go back to the drawing board? 2013 will still be the Big East that we know for the most part. Get big money for a 1 year contract if you can.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Will people stop with the "ESPN is going to air all out games on the Internet?" BS. There are several articles out there that clearly say they can't do that. They have to match PRICE and DISTRIBUTION.

What does "DISTRIBUTION" mean? Does that mean that they can put the nbe on any night? Including Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday? Yea, we'll be on the duece while espn is dropping a duece on us with the off night games.

According to John Ourand of Sports Business Daily, it has to be similar time/avenues to what NBC offered. He said that was the reason Fox is being subcontracted.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Based on the information I've read so far, this blog article is inaccurate.  Nothing is a done deal yet.

And NBC Sports did not "stupidly" lowball.  NBC Sports offered what they felt the league was worth.  It would be stupid for them to overpay.

It's lowball, if it can be easily matched and taken away by ESPN.  ESPN pays other leagues about the same per team than it does for the entirety of the Big East.

That number was silly if they thought ESPN would back off from it.  ESPN will pay that and never air a game on anything but ESPN3 for that money.  It may be a proper valuation of the league, but it's lowball to get content away from ESPN.

What makes you think NBC sees the NBE as a property they must steal away from ESPN?

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Here is where he said that this AM: http://t.co/M23PQJICLW

I just listened nad no point in time did he mention anything about time slots. He said amount of games, but nothing about time slots. He did say that espn matched because they wanted to keep us away from NBC, not that they wanted us, they just didn't want anyone else to have us. I hope I'm wrong, I hope that espn changes how it's treated the BE for the last year, but I seriously doubt they will. Time will tell.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I think what Martin is saying is IF NBC really needed football content that $20M was a bs offer. $20M is chump change for ESPN.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Here is where he said that this AM: http://t.co/M23PQJICLW

I just listened nad no point in time did he mention anything about time slots. He said amount of games, but nothing about time slots. He did say that espn matched because they wanted to keep us away from NBC, not that they wanted us, they just didn't want anyone else to have us. I hope I'm wrong, I hope that espn changes how it's treated the BE for the last year, but I seriously doubt they will. Time will tell.

He said they can't just throw games on the Internet...and to match they went to Fox Sports...