• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The NCAA Is Under Seige

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Lets burn this mf down

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  1,985
  • Days Won:  0

Sooner or later, they're going to have to admit that football and basketball are different from golf and swimming.

yeah, our golf team averages 82, MBb 36.. not what you meant?

So NCAA players entitled to money? 

No less so than the Durham Bulls or Tampa Tarpons...

Tampa Tarpons???? We DO pay players the same since they no longer exist.  However, here is the difference.  Minor league baseball players are drafted from high school and sign a contract to play for a pro team.  They elect to become a professional athlete.  Basketball players elect to go pro or go to college.  Football is a little different, they are barred from going to the NFL out of high school, but they could elect to play in a foreign league for money.  

The solution is to dissolve college football as an association with schools.  Create a minor league system to the NFL where if they wish to associate with a local university they can do so.  I.E.  the Tampa Bay Bucs create a USF Bulls minor league franchise.  

Basically then, you will have the SEC teams, that are not in pro sports markets anyway, as feeders to the NFL, all the FCS teams, and about 90% of the FBS teams would be disbanded.  Parity between mens and womens sports, no pressure on the schools for OCS, etc.  and no national signing day that creates press conferences so we can find out what some 17 year old ego wants to play...

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

The solution is to dissolve college football as an association with schools. Create a minor league system to the NFL where if they wish to associate with a local university they can do so. I.E. the Tampa Bay Bucs create a USF Bulls minor league franchise.

Basically then, you will have the SEC teams, that are not in pro sports markets anyway, as feeders to the NFL, all the FCS teams, and about 90% of the FBS teams would be disbanded. Parity between mens and womens sports, no pressure on the schools for OCS, etc. and no national signing day that creates press conferences so we can find out what some 17 year old ego wants to play...

No way I would watch this. The players would have no relationship (I am assuming they would not be students) with USF and there would be zero pride for me if they won. Indeed, I would go back to watching the NFL which is what I did before USF had football.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  436

so a free college education, room and board for 4+ years, free state of the art health care, and extensive on the job training and potential job placement is not enough?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree. They get scholarships, free healthcare, and soon to be stipends, while other students get into debt-funding the university that allows them to play, through tuition and athletics fees. And, making the average student pay even more and get deeper into debt for them, while suffering budget cuts and the firings of professors?

Great training for the NFL, free exposure, great social networking opportunities, and social status for girlfriends and potential jobs if the NFL route does not work out. If this is such unfair exploitation, then why do they even bother playing?

Edited by Florida Bull

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,330
  • Content Count:  97,047
  • Days Won:  469

I'll read the article when kids are forced to play.

Until then I'll just chalk it up to just some more progressive fantasizing about "the man".

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  1,719
  • Days Won:  6

so a free college education, room and board for 4+ years, free state of the art health care, and extensive on the job training and potential  job placement is not enough? 

Not when you're essentially the farm leagues for the NFL and NBA

For golf or swimming, it's more than enough

so who determines which players get played and how much?

does Matt Floyd get paid the same as BJ Daniels?  do players get a raise or reduction based on performance? what about walk-ons?

then u have the issue of smaller or mid-major programs like USF, Cinci, Boise, NIU having to compete with MAJOR, multi-billion dollar programs like Bama, Texas, Notre Dame, Florida... what u will get is essentially major programs BUYING players, and smaller programs getting screwed.

a fan of a small school like USF advocating for payment of players must either be high on bath salts or simply so short sighted as to allow idealism to blind him to reality... sounding like some f'in hippies with this "pay people to go to college" ****.

then, of course, there would be the inevitable regulation of payment involving state and federal legislators and tons of lawyers and lawsuits further corrupting the game.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  436

If college players get paid or sign contracts, I wonder how long before they form unions with collective bargaining agreements. Then college player strikes and/or lockouts?

School Spirit!

Edited by Florida Bull

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,466
  • Days Won:  19

Here is my short opinion of this .... if we are in the Big East, we want the NCAA to survive as it currently is. If we get the call up to a power conference, then we want to be one of the power leagues that breaks away from the NCAA.

The power leagues breaking away from the NCAA while we are in the Big East is really bad for us, because it widens the gap between the haves and the have nots ... and we would be on the wrong side of that.