• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

MSU Road Trip

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  205
  • Content Count:  2,187
  • Days Won:  2

We have 6 people booked for the trip up on that Southwest flight.

Starting to look for hotels/things to do.

Suggestions?

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

Looking on Cheaptickets.com  I found that you can fly from Tampa to Detroit, (leave tampa friday return to tampa Sunday)  hotel and rental car included for 450 bucks total. Thats the airfare, car and hotel.

• Topic Count:  91
  • Content Count:  1,716
  • Days Won:  9

This will be my first road trip. I'm thinking about doing the package that the Bulls Club is offering. Has anyone done a road trip with them before? Would you recommend it?

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  2,558
  • Days Won:  0

This will be my first road trip. I'm thinking about doing the package that the Bulls Club is offering. Has anyone done a road trip with them before? Would you recommend it?

what package are you referring to?

http://www.bullssportstravel.com/football/usf-at-michigan-state.php

• Topic Count:  91
  • Content Count:  1,716
  • Days Won:  9

https://reservations.sportstravel.com/IPROTOUR/BUY1.ASP?ACTION=NEW&DP=&PROGRAMID=PP105202&SY=USF

They recently added the update about tickets not being included. It looks like I can find a much better deal on my own.

We got a Penthouse at the Gatehouse Suites...sleeps 6 and came out to $55 a person. One mile walk to their bar area, and a 1.4 mile walk to the stadium. Good location if you're looking for something (the team hotel is sold out already).

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

https://reservations.sportstravel.com/IPROTOUR/BUY1.ASP?ACTION=NEW&DP=&PROGRAMID=PP105202&SY=USF

They recently added the update about tickets not being included. It looks like I can find a much better deal on my own.

That will be the case every time for away games.  They tend to stay at nicer hotels and they don't shop for price like we would. We have reservations at the Fairfield Inn East Lansing for $98/night.  Edit: $113/night + taxes.

We have 4 rooms reserved right now.  Don't know how many we will need but probably not more than 3.  If anyone is interested in latching on to the 4th room, let me know.  I would suggest making reservations someplace where you can cancel.  And then if this 4th room stays available you can have it.

Edited by CousinRicky

Here are some suggestions I got from MSU fans:

***Red Haven is a great tapas restaurant not too far from where you are staying. Not walkable but close.

For a taste of East Lansing's bar scene, Crunchy's is a landmark institution. Great beer selection.

***Another bar selection that is downtown directly across from campus is Peanut Barrel.

***There is an awesome (if a bit expensive/pretentious) restaurant that will be just around the corner from your hotel. It's called Red Haven; corner of Hagadorn & Mt Hope.

As for bars, there aren't any that I would say are "can't miss," everything in EL is pretty much the same; dive-y and small. Although by that time the new Hopcat (a 100 tap craft beer bar) will be open, and I'm told it will be a game changer. In fact the rest of the bars in the area might have already boarded up their windows and thrown in the towel by then.

As for something to do, there is a really cool but little known RE Olds (the guy who started Oldsmobile) Museum towards Lansing's downtown. If any of your group are car guys they will enjoy the hell out of it. The museum is also shares a parking lot with the world renowned Lansing Ballet.

***I second Peanut Barrel. Try sitting on the patio. Not a better outdoor dining experience in East Lansing.

Also, on gameday you can drink anywhere on campus so walk around sipping beer on the north side...one of my favorite fall traditions.

***For local dives, Crunchy's and Peanut Barrel are definitely the top choices.

***Go bar hopping downtown.

End up at Rick's late night for sloppy drunkiness...if you like that sort of thing.

Or go to the Landshark. I'm sure Jerry and the Juveniles and the Jr. Juveniles will be rocking out.

***Just take a cab to the corner of MAC and Albert. Within a 5-10 block radius there are several college bar options.

Rick's, Landshark, PT Omalley's, Harpers, The Riv, Peanut Barrel, Crunchy's, Dublin Square.

If there aren't any lines just bounce around. None of them are 'must see' but they get different crowds.

My favorite is the Peanut Barrel. It's low key and unimpressive. Good sandwiches, a few decent beer options, dart boards, etc. Typically an older crowd.

If you're looking to experience E.L. in it's full dirty drunken collegeness then make sure to hit up the other bars mentioned above........

Enjoy your trip.

***If you can find a parking spot on game day to get to the downtown EL area, everything is walkable. There are plenty of bars and restaurants to get within walking distance - Peanut Barrel, the new HopCat, the Riv, BW3, Landshark, PT's, Beggar's Banquet, and others are all within a short walk to each other. Crunchy's is a little further and would be a few minutes of a walk to the rest of them. As for food - Peanut Barrel for burgers, Crunchy's for Pizza (and a lot of good beer), BW's is BW's, and the others all have some form of bar food that likely won't make you ill and will absorb the beer.

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  2,653

My sister in law went to MSU. She took me to the Riv once, which is a pretty awesome bar and a bit divey, which is fine. The pizza house is good for pizza and beer.  

They have Ricks here in Ann Arbor as well. Went there once when I first moved here and it's full a college kids.

My cousin owns the Green Door which is in downtown Lansing. They sometimes have live bands