• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life, USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  445
  • Days Won:  1

I love this university and bleed green and gold, but let’s look at some things.

Large Commuter School

Non AAU Member

Abysmal 6 year graduation rates

Ranked 170th Nationally by US News

Relatively new football program

Plays home games in an NFL stadium, 12 miles from campus

Has actual attendance around 30K for non-marquee matchups.

Never finished higher than 3rd in the Big East, Never finished ranked.

1 NCAA Basketball tournament in 20 years.

Resides in the 13th largest media market.

Looking at this, it is pretty clear that USF is where it is supposed to be in terms of conference re-alignment. The only thing we have going for us is the large media market, but all the other schools in this conference were chosen for that reason too. The Big East gave us a huge gift because they wanted to maintain a presence in Florida, our lot never improved.

What if we are stuck in this conference for the next 5 years? If things do not improve, what makes us think we will be first in line to get into another conference? Yes, Florida has fertile recruiting grounds and maybe FSU will bolt for another conference at some point. However, we cannot bank that in 5 years USF will be in a better position than UCF under that mindset. The Big 12 might not choose to expand to Florida, we just don’t know.

Instead of blaming others I hope we start looking at some of these things, and look for ways to improve. Administration and the fan base should take ownership. I for one will continue to support USF athletics via donations and attendance at football games. I will make it a point to have all 6 of my season tickets used. I will also continue to press administration to improve academics. We have to take some responsibility.

What scares me the most is the entitlement mindset, and that we somehow deserve to be at the table with the big boys. Let’s sit idle and see if we get picked up. Sure if the ACC or Big 12 came calling we would gladly accept, but that gift might not ever come.

Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life, lets clean up...........

Going to disagree with you on just about everything. The University of South Florida is one of the Premier research Universities in this state. AAU status will come with time. The money is there now but that is not enough. AAU membership requires results. Just look around you, USF just had a professor win educator of the year in the entire nation. The results are there as well and just need a few more years of proof. USF is no longer the fall back school kids are getting denied here and getting into FSU and other schools on a consistent basis now. I'm sure that works both ways, but not something you could say a few years ago. USF is also considered the one of the leaders of the up and coming institutions ranking top 5 yearly. Our academics are fine as I am sure University Presidents would be well aware of this information. I really hashed out at DW in the past but I know see the light. Our Administration knows that USF's way into a major conference is to bring to the table upgrades in ALL SPORTS. Football needs to catch up, basketball needs to stay hot, and baseball needs new leadership which will come after this season.

Commuter school. You can keep thinking that way, but that is not true anymore. Housing is full to the point where the school just put pressure to speed up the Fontana Hall property remodel project. It will be ready for the fall...

Edited by fuhbull11

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Enough of this piss poor mentality

USF is a new school compared to most other major universities and has a baby football progam (16 years). We have accomplished MAJOR feats in those 16 years and will continue to do so. How many 16 year old football programs do you know of that have sold out an NFL stadium on more than one occasion? Have you been to campus recently? You know all those huge buildings going up and all those improvements everywhere? It's not because we suck, it's because we are growing and succeeding in more ways than one. We had 2 off years due to a garbage coach, get the f*ck over it. Are the rest of you THAT MINDF*CKED by what Holtz did? Graduation rates are going up, student acceptance has become more strict. Enough of this defeatist p*ssy ****, man the f*ck up.

gonna calmly disagree with this argument, yes USF is improving, but we are not where we need to be. It is exactly this mentality that I wrote about.....Sorry you just proved the point.. take time to read what was wrote, its not deafeatist, its about taking ownership.

Did I say we are where we need to be? Or did I say we are constantly improving this University? Did I say we should be in the SEC or some big time football program? Or that we deserve to be treated like FSU/UF/UM? I said we are on the right track and your defeatist (call it what you want but this is what it really is) attitude has grown old, along with all the other whiners here. The University of South Florida is a great institution and still continues to gain ground in all aspects.

Trip, I believe I came off wrong on that part of my argument. I was not claiming Holtz caused any of this, I was claiming that the general attitude on this board is trash and has been since Skip rode this program into the dirt.

Edited by Hem
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

USF is a new school compared to most other major universities and has a baby football progam (16 years). We have accomplished MAJOR feats in those 16 years and will continue to do so. How many 16 year old football programs do you know of that have sold out an NFL stadium on more than one occasion? Have you been to campus recently? You know all those huge buildings going up and all those improvements everywhere? It's not because we suck, it's because we are growing and succeeding in more ways than one. We had 2 off years due to a garbage coach, get the f*ck over it. Are the rest of you THAT MINDF*CKED by what Holtz did? Graduation rates are going up, student acceptance has become more strict. Enough of this defeatist p*ssy ****, man the f*ck up.

football program has underachieved and has been a disappointment

no other objective way to look at it

I would challenge you to find another program who has accomplished more than we have in their first 16 years. What would we need to do for you to be pleased Steven? Win an NC? Win the Big East? We are 16 years old, the fact that we are even IN the Big East is amazing in itself.

Edited by Hem

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

If I hear one more person say USF is a commuter school I'm going to crack my head on the desk. Don't like 80% of the students live within 5 miles of the campus now? On Campus housing has been sold out 2 years now and the apartments just off campus are pretty much slap full..... commuter my ass....

Unfortunatly perception is reality, call it what you want and use all your stats about more dorms on campus than UF. We are viewed as a commuter school.

Only because people like you allow it to be so... stop using the term and the mindset will change.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

I would challenge you to find another program who has accomplished more than we have in their first 16 years. What would we need to do for you to be pleased Steven? Win an NC? Win the Big East? We are 16 years old, the fact that we are even IN the Big East is amazing in itself.

Slim chance.... smazza can't even spell our coach's name correctly.

• Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,650
  • Days Won:  424

You think being in the Big East was an accomplishment??

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  197
  • Days Won:  0

I love this university and bleed green and gold, but let’s look at some things.

Large Commuter School

Non AAU Member

Abysmal 6 year graduation rates

Ranked 170th Nationally by US News

Relatively new football program

Plays home games in an NFL stadium, 12 miles from campus

Has actual attendance around 30K for non-marquee matchups.

Never finished higher than 3rd in the Big East, Never finished ranked.

1 NCAA Basketball tournament in 20 years.

Resides in the 13th largest media market.

Looking at this, it is pretty clear that USF is where it is supposed to be in terms of conference re-alignment. The only thing we have going for us is the large media market, but all the other schools in this conference were chosen for that reason too. The Big East gave us a huge gift because they wanted to maintain a presence in Florida, our lot never improved.

What if we are stuck in this conference for the next 5 years? If things do not improve, what makes us think we will be first in line to get into another conference? Yes, Florida has fertile recruiting grounds and maybe FSU will bolt for another conference at some point. However, we cannot bank that in 5 years USF will be in a better position than UCF under that mindset. The Big 12 might not choose to expand to Florida, we just don’t know.

Instead of blaming others I hope we start looking at some of these things, and look for ways to improve. Administration and the fan base should take ownership. I for one will continue to support USF athletics via donations and attendance at football games. I will make it a point to have all 6 of my season tickets used. I will also continue to press administration to improve academics. We have to take some responsibility.

What scares me the most is the entitlement mindset, and that we somehow deserve to be at the table with the big boys. Let’s sit idle and see if we get picked up. Sure if the ACC or Big 12 came calling we would gladly accept, but that gift might not ever come.

Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life, lets clean up...........

Going to disagree with you on just about everything. The University of South Florida is one of the Premier research Universities in this state. AAU status will come with time. The money is there now but that is not enough. AAU membership requires results. Just look around you, USF just had a professor win educator of the year in the entire nation. The results are there as well and just need a few more years of proof. USF is no longer the fall back school kids are getting denied here and getting into FSU and other schools on a consistent basis now. I'm sure that works both ways, but not something you could say a few years ago. USF is also considered the one of the leaders of the up and coming institutions ranking top 5 yearly. Our academics are fine as I am sure University Presidents would be well aware of this information. I really hashed out at DW in the past but I know see the light. Our Administration knows that USF's way into a major conference is to bring to the table upgrades in ALL SPORTS. Football needs to catch up, basketball needs to stay hot, and baseball needs new leadership which will come after this season.

Commuter school. You can keep thinking that way, but that is not true anymore. Housing is full to the point where the school just put pressure to speed up the Fontana Hall property remodel project. It will be ready for the fall...

You disagree with everything yet you do not refute any of these claims that USF just does not stack up that well with the schools in the power conferences. Yes, we are certainly improving, Judy is doing a great job. But we are simply where we should be in terms of the conference situation.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  863
  • Days Won:  1

Just pointing out that housing on campus is slap full because they now require incoming freshmen to live on campus. Its been full my three years of being here.

USF is largely a commuter school, primarily because most students liveoff campus and go home on the weekends. Pretty sure living off campus makes students commuters, doesn't it?

As someone who has lived on campus for 3 years (and finally moving out) I can tell you, conditions are terrible, rates are way too high (850/month for a single apartment room with one bathroom between 4 or 5 people, kitchens vary in size (usually too small), and laundry is 1 dollar per load per wash or dry.

I'm moving into a place with better overall conditions for half the cost. And I'll become a commuter.

So yes, USF is still a commuter school. Its getting a little better but overall.

You think being in the Big East was an accomplishment??

If I would have asked you that in 2005, what would you have answered? Yes, it was an accomplishment. You love to play semantics, don't you Trip.

TherapyBull, when did you gradute? Just curious.

Edited by Hem