• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East basketball-only schools to split from rest of conference

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

Just axe the football program and pour all of the football money into basketball. Watch your back Duke.

Worst idea ever.

Just axe the football program and pour all of the football money into basketball. Watch your back Duke.

LOL

Both Saint Leo and U of Tampa did this back in the late 1970's/ early 1980's and they are no where near the level of Duke.

Saint Leo and UT used to be the Tampa area's primary football rivals for a while there and now they are both unheard of obscure nobodies.

I don't think you're serious. We'd lose all that money if we dropped football

lol

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

+1 .... and then beg the ones leaving to let us in wherever they end up.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,686
  • Days Won:  14

Judy and DW better be lobbying hard to get us in somewhere....if it can actually happen...I don't know... :(

I'm sure they are sitting around doing nothing, quite happy to be in the Big East.

Sometimes I wonder, other times I'm sure.

My impression is that Judy doesn't get too involved unless it's an official Big East function and she has to in her capacity, or if Doug calls her and tells her it's important.

Here's hoping that Doug's calling her now...

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  490
  • Days Won:  1

ESPN won.

Sorry stupid question. I keep reading this but I'm unclear how ESPN is responsible for all the realignment. Thanks for a simplified understanding.

ESPN loses if these guys join the A-10, they have a contract with NBC...

I'm not so sure it won't be the other way around - A10 teams joining the Big East BB schools. I imagine the BB schools will keep the Big East name and rebuild a metro-based BB league under contract to ESPN. You don't think Bristol would love to have another premier league under contract in addition to the ACC?

I don't like ESPN for what the network has done with respect to realignment and I don't trust them either.

My gut tells me at the end of the day, ESPN will get what it wants and the current Big East schools who haven't been tossed a lifeline are about to be kicked to the curb.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

+1 .... and then beg the ones leaving to let us in wherever they end up.

Wow, seriously? Football is the lifeblood of college sports, like it or not. Basketball is an afterthought of the 80's and early 90's.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Balto,

Reports suggest leaving and starting their own conference could face a lot of legal roadblocks.

• Topic Count:  502
  • Content Count:  5,903

Worst idea ever.

LOL

Both Saint Leo and U of Tampa did this back in the late 1970's/ early 1980's and they are no where near the level of Duke.

Saint Leo and UT used to be the Tampa area's primary football rivals for a while there and now they are both unheard of obscure nobodies.

lol

LOL

• Topic Count:  502
  • Content Count:  5,903

I think we need to think outside the box... let's start a new conference with baseball only schools.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  490

Balto,

Reports suggest leaving and starting their own conference could face a lot of legal roadblocks.

I'm not doubting you and I thank you for your feedback.

Everything thus far about realignment has been 'fixed' with money. There were supposed to be legal roadblocks pertaining to lots of things. I guess we will see how many roadblocks apply to the Univ. of Maryland going to the B1G.

Forgive me for being pessimistic and skeptical. I just see all of the pieces moving and the fact we are not one of them bothers me immensely.

I do not see the lifeline forthcoming.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Worst idea ever.

LOL

lol

LOL

LOL

Still a bad idea, serious or not. :)