• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Former players venting about Skip

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

need to get Matt back involved with USF football somehow--- as a GA or QB coach-- something

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

need to get Matt back involved with USF football somehow--- as a GA or QB coach-- something

+1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  215
  • Content Count:  1,777
  • Days Won:  0

we need a Black coach that can identify with our players.

USF is Calvin McGees dream job, and he would do well.

No Head Coaching experience to my knowledge. USF must find someone who has been a head coach and know the elements needed to become a successful team.

How is no head coaching experience working out for Charlie Strong?

Bingo....ding ding ding.

or for moosechamp at uf

I'd rather a hungry coordinator than a retread with experience.

put me down for magee. i wanted him last time. he's help run 3 top 10 offenses under rich rod. has his masters from usf.

Magee sounds great because he worked at USF. But how many championship level teams has he worked for?

Muschamp coached under Saban at LSU where they won a national championship and Mack Brown at Texas where they participated in a few BCS games.

Stong coached under Lou Holtz at Notre Dame, and both Spurrier and Meyer a UF before accepting the Louisville HC job

The difference with Magee is he only worked Leavitt and Rodriguez.

USF as it stands now is not in the postion to take a chance on anyone that has not had or experienced proven success at a high level.

Edited by Blackice12

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

http://www.facebook....101315350099701

Matt Grothe tonight "Rant time....as disappointed as me and many others are this USF football season, people need to hush about the "we have the talent to compete with anyone excuse".....your right our FIRST string team can compete with anyone, much like when I played and much like it's going to be for a while......We don't have the luxury of some teams IE Bama, LSU, USC etc etc to have third and fourth string guys who would start at most D1 schools.....we have a significant drop off and our backups are guys that could of gone to smaller schools and started right away....they are guys who need a few years to develop and then play....that being said people wonder why we have had midseason slumps, INJURIES are a huge huge huge part about why this happens....we are a very young program and people need to realize this.....that also being said I ,nor anyone but the guys on the field and in the locker room have the answers as to why we have been so bad at times this year.....people have the right to be upset about how we have played this year and they should be, but also teams go through this at times and hopefully in the long run it will only make us better...."

Listen, I respect and appreciate MG a ton but I don't believe this at all and frankly I don't think he does either. He just posted a list of excuses for this season and none apply. We're talking about competing and winning against Ball State and Temple for god's sake. We're talking about being competitive in the BE where we have been competitive for a number of years and where he and his teamates were particularly. We get the same level of players (and if not, that is another Holtz problem) as everyone else in the BE. We're talking about an effort in every game that matches the FSU effort but without the turnovers on our end. We haven't had significant injury problems that have sidelined a large number of starters this year or last year. Christ almighty, he makes is sound like we're one year removed from the trailers at 4202 Fowler. I wholeheartedly agree with the portion of the last sentence that I have hightlighted, but remember that we went through this at the end of last year and there is a BIG, BIG problem when it occurs over consecutive years. If this is the kind of "coach speak" excuses we might hear from MG as a coach, then thanks but no thanks.

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

I cringe reading Matt's statement. Just understand Matt's statement isn't a reflection of the players with the program in general... it's his personal opinion.

I think Leavitt's take on the program was summed up best in two words recently when a former player contacted him obviously about the state of the program... "So sad."

Edited by The_Sheriff

• Topic Count:  251
  • Content Count:  4,738
  • Days Won:  0

121 comments on matts post

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

I cringe reading Matt's statement. Just understand Matt's statement isn't a reflection of the players with the program in general... it's his personal opinion.

I think Leavitt's take on the program was summed up best in two words recently when a former player contacted him obviously about the state of the program... "So sad."

I agree... It's sad to see the apparent direction we are headed in

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

The more waves that are made, the rockier Ol' Skippy's boat becomes in his ocean of losses. I can see the tidal wave coming..

• Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

Matt Grothe tonight "Rant time....as disappointed as me and many others are this USF football season, people need to hush about the "we have the talent to compete with anyone excuse".....your right our FIRST string team can compete with anyone, much like when I played and much like it's going to be for a while......We don't have the luxury of some teams IE Bama, LSU, USC etc etc to have third and fourth string guys who would start at most D1 schools.....we have a significant drop off and our backups are guys that could of gone to smaller schools and started right away....they are guys who need a few years to develop and then play....that being said people wonder why we have had midseason slumps, INJURIES are a huge huge huge part about why this happens....we are a very young program and people need to realize this.....that also being said I ,nor anyone but the guys on the field and in the locker room have the answers as to why we have been so bad at times this year.....people have the right to be upset about how we have played this year and they should be, but also teams go through this at times and hopefully in the long run it will only make us better....

Here's where our fans have been spoiled. In our short history, we haven't had to go through one of these times and a lot of them aren't handling it very well ...

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

Matt Grothe tonight "Rant time....as disappointed as me and many others are this USF football season, people need to hush about the "we have the talent to compete with anyone excuse".....your right our FIRST string team can compete with anyone, much like when I played and much like it's going to be for a while......We don't have the luxury of some teams IE Bama, LSU, USC etc etc to have third and fourth string guys who would start at most D1 schools.....we have a significant drop off and our backups are guys that could of gone to smaller schools and started right away....they are guys who need a few years to develop and then play....that being said people wonder why we have had midseason slumps, INJURIES are a huge huge huge part about why this happens....we are a very young program and people need to realize this.....that also being said I ,nor anyone but the guys on the field and in the locker room have the answers as to why we have been so bad at times this year.....people have the right to be upset about how we have played this year and they should be, but also teams go through this at times and hopefully in the long run it will only make us better....

Here's where our fans have been spoiled. In our short history, we haven't had to go through one of these times and a lot of them aren't handling it very well ...

well only once (after the 2002 class moved on) and it didn't last very long/seemed like something normal almost at that point

but yeah-- agree on the spoiled part. I've been worried this day was coming for a long time. Now it's here and people are running around like it is the zombie apocalypse.

• Upvote 1