• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Can the season be salvaged?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

Listen, I want Holtz out of town as much as the rest of you, but he isn't going anywhere right now. I think Doug Woolard needs to go as well, as I alluded to in my post last week about Derrick Brooks being our next Athletic Director.

However, none of that is going to happen anytime soon. In the meantime, do you think this season can be salvaged? What in your mind would it take to consider this season a marginal success? A win over FSU? 4 or more Big East conference wins?

In my opinion, we can save face with a strong showing against FSU. Lose by 10 points or less and hopefully make it out of the game with minimal injuries. From there, we need to run off a couple of wins in conference. Overall, I would consider a 7-5 campaign a success at this point. If anything, I hope that our senior leaders will step up and help get us to a bowl game.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

4 big East wins would be huge. Not only would we go bowling, but we would be 1 or 2 games removed from Big East champs. It would be nice to not get laughed out of the building by FSu after the first quarter. A close loss and 4 Big East wins would be lovely. I really want a win against Miami too. Going 1-4 against them all time really hurts imo. 1-1 with FSU isnt bad, especially when this FSU squad is a top5 team without a doubt.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Of course, it can. Will it? Remains to be seen.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  14

If they fix the defense, the season can be salvaged.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Of course, it can. Will it? Remains to be seen.

my thoughts exactly.... magic 8 ball does not like our chances though

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  385
  • Days Won:  0

What we saw at Ball State was not indicative of how well this team CAN play... Cosh/Holtz have to revamp the defensive scheme, 0 QB sacks, 0 tackles for a loss, and 1 QB hurry is completely unacceptable. The lack of aggression we have shown on defense is mind boggling.

Now that we're supposedly healthy in the secondary, let's see what happens. I'm trying to stay positive this week, but it's extremely difficult.

A win vs. FSU will save Holtz's job (for this season at least) and he has to know that.

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

Sure it can.

Any hope at all for the Big East relies on a win at the Ville though. Even if we won the rest of our Big East games to finish 5-2, I can all but gaurantee that one of it not both Rutgers and Louisville will be at worst 5-2 there with us, and the tie-breakers won't be good to us.

I'd atleast call it progress if we can somehow manage to salvage a bowl game and bowl win (and ideally a win over Miami). But more importantly seeing adjustments made by this coaching staff on both defense and offense.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

This is the type of positive flow that we all need right now. Let's focus on what can be. At the end of the day we are 2-2. If we had lost that heart-breaker to Nevada and beat Ball State, we wouldn't be in the crisis mode that we are all in right now. 2-2 is 2-2. If we somehow manage to do our annual "pull a game out of our asses" special on Saturday, the entire tone for the rest of the season will change. The most dangerous thing in the world is a desperate animal, cornered, with nothing to lose. I think we see a completely different team on Saturday. Do we win? Probably not. But there is a reason this game opened +14. The "experts" saw something in FSU's 1st half performance that led them to believe that they are somewhat susceptible.