• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Lost on the first drive

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  50
  • Days Won:  0

I can appreciate wanting to establish the running game and therefore I'm all for coming out and pounding the ground game, but why did we do that when they started putting eight and nine in the box? It seems like Fitch wanted to make a statement to our offense at the expense of calling a live game. A couple passes here and there to keep the linebackers honest would have helped. Instead, we end up with three. A touchdown would have kept this game tied at the end.

This isn't to say that the first drive was the reason we lost. We have many problems, but this drive was just an example of why we're not good in general. I'm not sure what's going on in the minds of our coaching staff.

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

I can appreciate wanting to establish the running game and therefore I'm all for coming out and pounding the ground game, but why did we do that when they started putting eight and nine in the box? It seems like Fitch wanted to make a statement to our offense at the expense of calling a live game. A couple passes here and there to keep the linebackers honest would have helped. Instead, we end up with three. A touchdown would have kept this game tied at the end.

This isn't to say that the first drive was the reason we lost. We have many problems, but this drive was just an example of why we're not good in general. I'm not sure what's going on in the minds of our coaching staff.

Are you joking? USF marched down the field on that drive. They went like 70 yards and ate up more than half the quarter. It wasn't a field goal instead of a touchdown because USF chose to run the ball so much, it was because of a couple of penalties at the end (at which point, they did throw it). That drive was excellent and there was nothing to complain about there, except the penalties (and I can't even remember if the penalties were legitimate, there were some ******** penalty calls in this game).

USF's loss had nothing to do with the offense. Daniels and the running backs took care of the ball, moved it down the field pretty consistently and ate up the clock. The defense just couldn't make a stop.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,119
  • Days Won:  39

I'm not sure what's going on in the minds of our coaching staff.

This.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

It is all BJs fault

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Penalties killed that first drive.

Even when Ball State loaded the box we were getting good yardage.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

USF's loss had nothing to do with the offense. Daniels and the running backs took care of the ball, moved it down the field pretty consistently and ate up the clock. The defense just couldn't make a stop.

Exactly. Ball State only punted TWICE and didn't turn the ball over.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Are you joking? USF marched down the field on that drive. They went like 70 yards and ate up more than half the quarter. It wasn't a field goal instead of a touchdown because USF chose to run the ball so much, it was because of a couple of penalties at the end (at which point, they did throw it). That drive was excellent and there was nothing to complain about there, except the penalties (and I can't even remember if the penalties were legitimate, there were some ******** penalty calls in this game).

you score a touchdown on an excellent drive

that wasnt an excellent drive

usf should have walked up and down the field on this less talented team

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

you score a touchdown on an excellent drive

that wasnt an excellent drive

usf should have walked up and down the field on this less talented team

I agree with you on thsi one Smazza- we shouldn't have to settle for field goals against the likes of Ball State,

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

Definitely agree the defense blew this game.

But....

I think the more telling part there is that the gameplan was to eat the clock verse freaking Ball State. If thats not coaching scared, then I don't what is.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  260
  • Days Won:  0

Not trying to defend the playcalling, but I was at the game and early on it was extremely windy (I was still surprised they didn't even try to pass). As the game went on, the winds died down considerably. Still, no way we should lose to Ball State. The playcalling on both sides of the ball has been atrocious.