• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East Blog Post RE: BJ

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

If BJ has not developed (which he barely has) that's under the coaches. So if I give these coaches a better talent at qb, who has similar skills, what makes you feel these coaches will develop that talent?

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Reading this thread you would think the entire team was developing by leaps and bounds with the exception of BJ. How many of these guys are noticeably better since they got here? Where is all the development?

Corey Grissom - NFL size; not always great production

Kayvon Webster- above average corner but hardly a cover corner

Sam barrington- any better than when leavitt called him the best freshman linebacker ever at USF?

Popek- all conference talent at OT, and he played the first 3 games at guard

Estenor- solid guard as he has been

Murray- solid but not flashy RB

Andeas shields- nfl size; don't know about hands since we rarely throw to him

Jeff Hawkins- oft injured, but was supposed to be our road grader TE but he's rarely in on short yardage

Lindsay lamar- BE special teams player of the year in 2010 to a possible senior redshirt which was hastily pulled off. Switched to WR and back to RB.

That's just some of the seniors. No even going to look at Giddins and Lattimore and some of the others. Now every player has a natural ceiling, but has every player above hit their ceiling? I think some have, but not all of them. This board likes to rip on BJ, and as the QB he deserves some blame, but there's way more going on here than just him making bad throws.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Reading this thread you would think the entire team was developing by leaps and bounds with the exception of BJ. How many of these guys are noticeably better since they got here? Where is all the development?

Sam barrington- any better than when leavitt called him the best freshman linebacker ever at USF?

Jeff Hawkins- oft injured, but was supposed to be our road grader TE but he's rarely in on short yardage

Lindsay lamar- BE special teams player of the year in 2010 to a possible senior redshirt which was hastily pulled off. Switched to WR and back to RB.

That's just some of the seniors. No even going to look at Giddins and Lattimore and some of the others. Now every player has a natural ceiling, but has every player above hit their ceiling? I think some have, but not all of them. This board likes to rip on BJ, and as the QB he deserves some blame, but there's way more going on here than just him making bad throws.

There are a million different ways to "grade out" other positions. The QB is the easiest and most visible. Not saying that all of the other have progressed, but we really don't know. Yes, there is way more going on here than bad throws. I don't think that anyone here thinks that BJ's the only problem.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  856
  • Days Won:  2

Woulard isn't consistent in high school. does anybody who says they can;'t wait ever checked a boxscore???

I saw the highlights of his most recent game. Not very impressed. Made a pretty bad read standing in the end zone and threw a pick six.

lets also remember hes 17 years old....our qb makes some of the dumbest decisions ever and hes almost 23. im willing to bet woulard progresses a lot, bj has progessed NONE in 4 years.

why would you bet that? have you seen him play? everyone thought brion carnes was going to light up college ball. he was from the same mold. great athlete. accuracy and decision making problems. he can't crack top 3 at nebraska and they like running QBs.

you don't think BJ has tried to get better? you think the staff hasn't tried to make him better?

fact is a lot of these kids that they call dual threat are really just athletes that play the position. it's very rare to get a QB that can both run and pass. michael vick still has accuracy issues

this staff hasn't been able to turn the 8th ranked dual threat into a passing QB what makes you think they will be able to turn the next one into one? there are people that actually think he will come in and play right away...

i would bet that because hes only played 1 year of qb, and he won mvp at the most prestigious qb competition in the country. there isnt much more pressure than that for a 17 year old, espn telecast against the top 20+ qbs. and yes, ive driven to orlando twice this year to specifically see him play. im not saying he doesnt make mistakes, but when you see someone like George Whitfield talk very highly of him, and say he sees very similar football iq and decision making as cam, thats a very good sign. im sure a lot of this is wishful thinking on my part, but its hard not to be optimistic after seeing what he did under pressure on tv...he has moxy. when bj is under pressure he folds up like a cheap tent. when i went to orlando, i made it a point to closely watch and see if he was properly going thru his progessions, and at times i was extremely encouraged. watching a highschool qb thats played the position for a year see his #1 and 2 options covered up, and then checking down with an accurate pass to his rb out of the backfield for a 6 yard gain just makes me think things are bound to get at least a little better, because lord knows they cant get any worse....unless we lose to ball st of course, then its meltdown time ha.

he won a skills competition. that's pressure??

jamarcus russel was a combine phenom.how'd that translate?

his m.o. is poor decision making, accuracy issues and no pocket awareness. sound familiar?

he's an athlete playing the position of QB. if he has a pass run ratio close to 3 he will be as ineffective as BJ Daniels

Love the optimism for one of our most highly rated recruits in history at the most important position on the field. I'm willing to bet he's a better QB than BJ by the middle of his sophmore year. I doubt he starts game 1 as a true freshman, but he could start towards the end of the year if it's a disaster under Floyd.

my thoughts exactly. last time i checked peyton manning isnt walking thru the door anytime soon. lets not put down a recruit with a large upside until he gives us a reason to on the field, in college.

BBM, you are right about grading the players out. However, I can watch and my eyes tell me there's a lot of not good out there right now.

As for BJ not being the whole problem, half these posts imply we would be just ok without #7. Maybe I read into it too much.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

BBM, you are right about grading the players out. However, I can watch and my eyes tell me there's a lot of not good out there right now.

As for BJ not being the whole problem, half these posts imply we would be just ok without #7. Maybe I read into it too much.

Nope, you are a good reader.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Woulard isn't consistent in high school. does anybody who says they can;'t wait ever checked a boxscore???

I saw the highlights of his most recent game. Not very impressed. Made a pretty bad read standing in the end zone and threw a pick six.

lets also remember hes 17 years old....our qb makes some of the dumbest decisions ever and hes almost 23. im willing to bet woulard progresses a lot, bj has progessed NONE in 4 years.

why would you bet that? have you seen him play? everyone thought brion carnes was going to light up college ball. he was from the same mold. great athlete. accuracy and decision making problems. he can't crack top 3 at nebraska and they like running QBs.

you don't think BJ has tried to get better? you think the staff hasn't tried to make him better?

fact is a lot of these kids that they call dual threat are really just athletes that play the position. it's very rare to get a QB that can both run and pass. michael vick still has accuracy issues

this staff hasn't been able to turn the 8th ranked dual threat into a passing QB what makes you think they will be able to turn the next one into one? there are people that actually think he will come in and play right away...

i would bet that because hes only played 1 year of qb, and he won mvp at the most prestigious qb competition in the country. there isnt much more pressure than that for a 17 year old, espn telecast against the top 20+ qbs. and yes, ive driven to orlando twice this year to specifically see him play. im not saying he doesnt make mistakes, but when you see someone like George Whitfield talk very highly of him, and say he sees very similar football iq and decision making as cam, thats a very good sign. im sure a lot of this is wishful thinking on my part, but its hard not to be optimistic after seeing what he did under pressure on tv...he has moxy. when bj is under pressure he folds up like a cheap tent. when i went to orlando, i made it a point to closely watch and see if he was properly going thru his progessions, and at times i was extremely encouraged. watching a highschool qb thats played the position for a year see his #1 and 2 options covered up, and then checking down with an accurate pass to his rb out of the backfield for a 6 yard gain just makes me think things are bound to get at least a little better, because lord knows they cant get any worse....unless we lose to ball st of course, then its meltdown time ha.

he won a skills competition. that's pressure??

jamarcus russel was a combine phenom.how'd that translate?

his m.o. is poor decision making, accuracy issues and no pocket awareness. sound familiar?

he's an athlete playing the position of QB. if he has a pass run ratio close to 3 he will be as ineffective as BJ Daniels

Love the optimism for one of our most highly rated recruits in history at the most important position on the field. I'm willing to bet he's a better QB than BJ by the middle of his sophmore year. I doubt he starts game 1 as a true freshman, but he could start towards the end of the year if it's a disaster under Floyd.

my thoughts exactly. last time i checked peyton manning isnt walking thru the door anytime soon. lets not put down a recruit with a large upside until he gives us a reason to on the field, in college.

I'm not putting him down. The kid needs to develop. I never said he couldn't. the guy you quote already thinks he will be better than BJ in the middle of his sophomore year. if anything the people who act like he will be our savior are putting undue pressure on him to come in and perform right away. that's unfair.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

The only unit that I am completely happy with is the WO's. There have been some drops, but overall I'd say they're performing as expected.

That's generally a young group so they should get better. They can start by running a yard past the sticks on third downs.

The only unit that I am completely happy with is the WO's. There have been some drops, but overall I'd say they're performing as expected.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

This.

I dont see anyone that I would say is leaps and bounds better than they were when they got here. There is some improvement which is natural when you play the game every day, but nothing that shows me that a coach has been working on developing someone's skill set. Not at any position. That is disheartening to say the least.