• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coaching Evaluation

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

baghim.jpg

When can we start wearing these??

This could make USF football fun

How about next Saturday against FSU?

I think that's a bit soon. I'll wait too see if we're actually going to have a losing season first.

If we lose to Temple (or Ball State), I'll pulling one out.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Losing to Rutgers at home was pretty bad. Granted they have a very good defense, but before playing us their offense was awful. This was a must win at home. We are doomed this year in BE play. UL will eat us for dinner.

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

We match up better against speed teams. The power teams kill us.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

Losing to Rutgers at home was pretty bad. Granted they have a very good defense, but before playing us their offense was awful. This was a must win at home. We are doomed this year in BE play. UL will eat us for dinner.

Maybe for lunch if the game is nooner

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,894
  • Days Won:  0

Holtz needs to take control of the team, the managment the play calls and anything else so he can be fully to blame. Our plays must work against our own defense which isnt much to really be impressed by. We cant cover, anticipate, or seem to outcoach an offense we play against. We get lucky stops because teams penalize themselves. Offensively we have zero identity. We do not know what to call to beat a defense. You cannot call plays because you want to run that play. You have to call plays that can beat defenses. Plays that confuse, and get them out of position and we do not do that. We cannot have a 1,000 yard reciever because they are put in the worst positions and given the worst routes to run. We are constantly running guys close to each other and making it far to easy to blitz BJ. My grade is far worse than yours. This was the final straw for me. I cannot defend this coaching staff anymore call me the USF DEFENSE.

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

In my mind, there are three major aspects to a college football head coach's job (coaching staff's job):

1) Gameday management: Preparation for the game, gameplan for specific team, motivating team/players for specific game, and actual game mangement (making adjustments, clock management, etc...).

2) Player Development: Coaching fundementals, reducing errors, preparing players, and showing improvement in the development of players over their college career

3) Program Salesman: Selling the program to fans/boosters, and more importantly selling the program to recruits to improve the quality of players coming into the program

For our current staff, I'll give Coach Holtz an A for selling the program to fans/boosters/media. He's very personable, says the right things, the media seems to like him, etc... He's much better in that aspect than Leavitt ever was. But outside that area, I'd be hard pressed to really grade this staff out in any area any higher than a C. And to me, that is the troubling aspect.

It would be one thing if we could say that he just needs to finally get all his recruits in, but I don't see that as solving anything. While I wouldn't necessarily say Holtz has ever been badly outcoached in a game (atleast not that I can remember), he's also never outcoached anyone else. We never seem to have a gameplan, our problems with penalties, mistakes, and poor clock management under Leavitt, all still seem to happen just as frequently under Holtz. We're not a fundementally sound football team like Boise, or like UConn was under Edsall. Our recruiting hasn't really improved at all (if not got worse). We haven't really developed almost anyone over the past few years (evidence by our lack of NFL draftees). I guess I'm just not seeing it. I would love to say, hey atleast we're getting better here, here and here, and just need some time.....but I don't really see any areas where I can be positive about or see a true positive trend in. I would love for Coach Holtz to prove me wrong, but from my perspective, its now more likely that he becomes USF's own version of Steve Kragthorpe.

Please someone help convince me I'm wrong. I really want to have sometype of positive outlook, be it this year, or the next few years.

You are too kind... Skip and co deserves a "F"

They deserve a F because our entire offense is BJD... if the other team can stop him then we are screwed and left twisting in the wind.

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

It's always easier to post positive thoughts after a win and negative thoughts after a loss. But I'll be honest, I have never been sold on Holtz, though I was hopeful after the first season salvage job. Player development, recruiting, and game management seem to have been fairly mediocre, if not downright underachieving. We needed to heal after CJL was fired and Skip was great for that. But I don't feel we can say that we are exceeding expectations in any tangible operations (except academics, which I do feel is important). We needed to win this conference this year since we have a lot of senior talent graduating, with a stud QB recruit learning on the sidelines. I am disappointed with coaching and tangible results over the past few years, and while there are lots of excuses, I think there are plenty of coaching staffs who accomplish more with less (like Jim Leavitt and Charlie Strong). I did begin to wonder if CJL would be able to take us farther, but I feel much more strongly these days that Skip definitely will not.

Wow, when you've started to lose Faza, things are getting deparate :huh:

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  431
  • Days Won:  0

baghim.jpg

When can we start wearing these??

This could make USF football fun

Anyone else see the guy drinking beer through his eyehole?