• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coaching Evaluation

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

Definitely agree I'd give him an A on number 3. I think maybe a D in the other categories.

Leavitt's staff really developed all the pro players. Will be interested to see how this class does though with Webster, Grissom and Barrington looking like solid prospects, but I thought Trae Williams was going to be great, so what do I know? If those three at least are not all drafted I think that says something about the lack of development of the players or at least the perception if it by pro scouts.

If he could sell the program we would be getting 3 and 4 star talent and the stands would be mainly full. Take care of job #1 as a coach (duh, WINNING) and that takes care of the major part of selling a program. We have less fans in the stands with Holtz than we had with Leavitt because we win less and the team does not play exciting football. Therefore, I give him an F across the board.

You know,I didn't really look at winning in the number 3 category, but you're right. Winning solves number three better than anything.

Good point.

I was putting more into the PR type stuff, where Leavitt was a failure. Skip is so accommodating to the media, he'll have to lose a long time before they're calling for his head. Leavitt was run out by the media as soon as they could. You need a Holtz type when the team struggles, as all will at times.

But you're right. Win conference titles and you sell the program more than any interviews and friendliness.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

Plus on Game Day Management did you all realize that the two goal line plays against Nevada where Barrington's knee knocked the ball out as they were set to score on us again, the Bulls defense had 10 players on the field. Two goal line plays to stop a team from scoring and putting the game out of reach and you have only 10 men on the field, and not a single coach catches this major faux pas?.......................F.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Definitely agree I'd give him an A on number 3. I think maybe a D in the other categories.

Leavitt's staff really developed all the pro players. Will be interested to see how this class does though with Webster, Grissom and Barrington looking like solid prospects, but I thought Trae Williams was going to be great, so what do I know? If those three at least are not all drafted I think that says something about the lack of development of the players or at least the perception if it by pro scouts.

If he could sell the program we would be getting 3 and 4 star talent and the stands would be mainly full. Take care of job #1 as a coach (duh, WINNING) and that takes care of the major part of selling a program. We have less fans in the stands with Holtz than we had with Leavitt because we win less and the team does not play exciting football. Therefore, I give him an F across the board.

You know,I didn't really look at winning in the number 3 category, but you're right. Winning solves number three better than anything.

Good point.

I was putting more into the PR type stuff, where Leavitt was a failure. Skip is so accommodating to the media, he'll have to lose a long time before they're calling for his head. Leavitt was run out by the media as soon as they could. You need a Holtz type when the team struggles, as all will at times.

But you're right. Win conference titles and you sell the program more than any interviews and friendliness.

I don't know that Leavitt was as bad with the media as everyone makes it sound. Sure, he would rather be watching film than doing a presser, but, Greg Auman still seems to have a pretty good relationship with him... it was one reporter that consistently butted heads with Leavitt.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  751
  • Days Won:  2

Good point.

I don't know that Leavitt was as bad with the media as everyone makes it sound. Sure, he would rather be watching film than doing a presser, but, Greg Auman still seems to have a pretty good relationship with him... it was one reporter that consistently butted heads with Leavitt.

Because unlike Auman, that reporter didn't hold punches, and wrote articles that were negative towards Leavitt's program.

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

Good point.

Because unlike Auman, that reporter didn't hold punches, and wrote articles that were negative towards Leavitt's program.

That reporter was an axe grinder who took it upon himself to befriend players and explayers to get inside information on all the locker room talk and information not normally available to journalists so that he could make his sports writer bones. It wouldn't have mattered who the coach was or how that coach treated him, he needed and wanted inside information of the most compelling and salacious variety to get his name out there. He is scum, plain and simple and he used USF football as his own personal resume' builder. How some on here give that stinky turd any credit or kudos is beyond me because he isn't and never was a friend of the program.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574

baghim.jpg

When can we start wearing these??

This could make USF football fun

How about next Saturday against FSU?

+1

the most sensible post I have seen!

Good point.

Agree on all points.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

It's always easier to post positive thoughts after a win and negative thoughts after a loss. But I'll be honest, I have never been sold on Holtz, though I was hopeful after the first season salvage job. Player development, recruiting, and game management seem to have been fairly mediocre, if not downright underachieving. We needed to heal after CJL was fired and Skip was great for that. But I don't feel we can say that we are exceeding expectations in any tangible operations (except academics, which I do feel is important). We needed to win this conference this year since we have a lot of senior talent graduating, with a stud QB recruit learning on the sidelines. I am disappointed with coaching and tangible results over the past few years, and while there are lots of excuses, I think there are plenty of coaching staffs who accomplish more with less (like Jim Leavitt and Charlie Strong). I did begin to wonder if CJL would be able to take us farther, but I feel much more strongly these days that Skip definitely will not.