• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Execution vs. Coaching

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Defense did a good job on Jamison most of the game. You take away his 41 yard TD run and he had like 39 carries for about 111. Not a very good ypc. <3

I was surprised when I saw the numbers. I thought they were gashing us up the middle all game.

I didn't have any clue the ypc would be as low as it was even including the long TD. The run D was a lot better than I think a lot of people felt because they ran a million times and dominated time of possession because they'd convert every 3rd down they faced.

all those 3rd and longs killed us. gave them all day back there.

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

Plenty on the coaching in here too. Where was the WR bubble screen all game? Easy throw for BJ that gets the ball out in open field away from the blitzing. I believe we ran one all night and it went for a first down with Hopkins (even though he fumbled out of bounds on it).

Do we not have any type of misdirection in our playbook? No backside flip for a RB sweep? No end arounds? Anything that might make them pay?

Why did it take to near the end of the 3rd quarter for the staff to realize that running Lamar/Murray right up the middle on nearly every first down wasn't working? Why didn't we go to a hurray up/spread sooner?

And in general, what the hell is our identity on offense?

Sorry, still too frustrated to get my thoughts together cohesively.

I said DON'T RUN" on the very first play of the game and sure enough they run and lose 4 yards. After screaming the whole first half to not run on first down the guys in front of us started yelling it by the second quarter

I thought maybe in my frustration last night, I might have exageratted things in my mind, but here is the play by play from ESPN's box score on our first downs in the first half:

Run -2 yards

Run +1 yards (Rutgers Penalty added on)

Run +1 yards (Fumble - recovered by USF for +4 total gain)

Run +1 yards

Run -1 yards

Run +2 yards

Pass +44 yards

Run -3 yards

Pass +9 yards

Run 0 yards

Run +4 yards

Pass incomplete (Davis drop on the sidelines before half)

So for the first half on first down that was:

9 rushes for 3 yards (or 0.33 yards per carry)

2-3 pass attempts for 53 yards

So after a whole half to contemplate whats working and whats not, our very first offensive possesion in the 2nd half and on first down we do what?

Run for 2 yards up the middle again.

• Upvote 1

Plenty on the coaching in here too. Where was the WR bubble screen all game? Easy throw for BJ that gets the ball out in open field away from the blitzing. I believe we ran one all night and it went for a first down with Hopkins (even though he fumbled out of bounds on it).

Do we not have any type of misdirection in our playbook? No backside flip for a RB sweep? No end arounds? Anything that might make them pay?

Why did it take to near the end of the 3rd quarter for the staff to realize that running Lamar/Murray right up the middle on nearly every first down wasn't working? Why didn't we go to a hurray up/spread sooner?

I said DON'T RUN" on the very first play of the game and sure enough they run and lose 4 yards. After screaming the whole first half to not run on first down the guys in front of us started yelling it by the second quarter

I thought maybe in my frustration last night, I might have exageratted things in my mind, but here is the play by play from ESPN's box score on our first downs in the first half:

Run -2 yards

Run +1 yards

Run -1 yards

Run +2 yards

Pass +44 yards

Run -3 yards

Pass +9 yards

Run 0 yards

Run +4 yards

So after a whole half to contemplate whats working and whats not, our very first offensive possesion in the 2nd half and on first down we do what?

excellent breakdown. it's painful to watch. there is no imagination to the play calling

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

to play this bad

everyone is too blame

i blame holtz for not recruiting top qbs the last 2 years

• Downvote 1

to play this bad

everyone is too blame

i blame holtz for not recruiting top qbs the last 2 years

he needs to bring in a guy that fits his system or adapt his system to the guy he's got.

unfortunately he has done neither.

BJ is a natural runner. he averaged 4.5 ypc in a close game last night and yet he threw the ball 33 times.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  114
  • Days Won:  0

Run -2 yards

Run +1 yards

Run -1 yards

Run +2 yards

Pass +44 yards

Run -3 yards

Pass +9 yards

Run 0 yards

Run +4 yards

excellent breakdown. it's painful to watch. there is no imagination to the play calling

If we can pull up these stats and digest the information, why can't the coaching staff? What are they going to do next game? They will most likely come out and do the exact same thing. I don't think they game plan on offense. They run the same plays in the same order over and over and over all season long. I hope they come out throwing a little more next game and BJ can hit the short passes to move the ball. Then, toss in some running plays and go from there. It has to start somewhere and it doesn't seem to start in the backfield.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

T-rex put the ball on the ground on a punt return.

Can someone that saw this game on TV comment on this? I had a good view of that return and did not see the fumble. Since they didn't show very many replays tonight, I wasn't able to see it on the jumbotron. Was the ball stripped from his hands directly into a Rutgers player's hands?

Not sure, TV cut away from it pretty quickly, and didn't televise the review, they went to commercial, I believe, while the review was taking place.

They did show a replay, and the Rutgers guy just pulled it out of Mitchell's hands. There were three Rutgers guys pulling on him though, I think one had his arms from behind so he couldn't wrap up and the other grabbed the ball. But that's why no one saw the fumble, as they ball was never on the ground.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Pass protection was not nearly as bad as it looked, even with Rutgers blitzing early and often. The problem is that BJ was skittish and kept running out of the pocket when he didn't need to. I lost count of how many times he had a nice pocket, looked up for two seconds and when he didn't see a receiver ran out of the pocket instead of stepping up into the pocket. Instead of running away from the rush he was running into it, over and over again. The announcers finally picked up on it late in the game, but it was happening the entire game.

I think the coaches will see the OLine did a fine job on pass protection.

Pass protection was not nearly as bad as it looked, even with Rutgers blitzing early and often. The problem is that BJ was skittish and kept running out of the pocket when he didn't need to. I lost count of how many times he had a nice pocket, looked up for two seconds and when he didn't see a receiver ran out of the pocket instead of stepping up into the pocket. Instead of running away from the rush he was running into it, over and over again. The announcers finally picked up on it late in the game, but it was happening the entire game.

I think the coaches will see the OLine did a fine job on pass protection.

pass rush in his face most of the game. he is not a pocket passer hence the reason he doesn't step up into pocket. he is short and is a natural runner so he is better on the move. Our coaches don't grasp this. it's as if they would run the triple option with peyton manning in the backfield.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

For me, plain and simple, the problems on offense started the minute Holtz and Fitch got here and they remain today. They never understood the type of athletes they have on the team and most importantly, instead of trying to build the offense around what you have, they decided to change BJ to what they run.

If BJ were a senior during Holtz first year and Holtz only had to live with it for 1 year it wouldn't have been a problem.

Thinking about it now I think Holtz has now completely screwed himself big time. He wasn't brought here to turn a failing program around. He came in under unusual circumstances. If he only had to live with BJ for a year he could have started to mold the rest of the team around what he wanted to do, take his lumps with BJ for a year and then plug in his QB, let him develop for a year and in year 3 he would be on his way. Fans would have been grumbling, patient and understanding enough understanding the new QB just needed a year to develop.

The problem is he has tried to change BJ for 3 years to his system and impatience is growing while everything continues regress.

BJ was brought here to run the spread. Skip tried to mold him into whatever his and Fitch's system is (sorry, can't tell you what it is because it has changed 3 times in 3 years and I'm really not sure what it is they do).

It takes a long time to change from one offensive philosphy to another. It was RichRod's undoing at Michigan and Bill Callahan's problem at Nebraska.

Maybe they told Skip not to worry about it for 5 or 6 years. Don't worry that our fans will stop coming to the games. Don't worry about winning. Its ok that the football program will be laughed at and ridiculed on national TV. Just be a nice guy, don't slap anyone and you can take as long as you want.