• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

ripped from ther reno paper headlines

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

We were at the 2 but they called a penalty, kick catch interference or something, so the ball got moved to the 8. The only thing I think they may have really wanted to change was when they were driving the ball down our throat, trying to run down the clock, but they didn't eat the clock during some plays. They were running the hurry up, trying to catch us while we were tired. It was a good strategy but it didn't work.

I might be wrong, but I don't think it was a penalty. I think one of their players touched it around the 8 so that's where they placed the ball.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  1,628
  • Days Won:  0

Oh ok. That sounds right. I wasn't sure if it was a penalty or some weird football rule. I never know anymore with the amount of changes they keep making

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,673
  • Days Won:  424

We were at the 2 but they called a penalty, kick catch interference or something, so the ball got moved to the 8. The only thing I think they may have really wanted to change was when they were driving the ball down our throat, trying to run down the clock, but they didn't eat the clock during some plays. They were running the hurry up, trying to catch us while we were tired. It was a good strategy but it didn't work.

I might be wrong, but I don't think it was a penalty. I think one of their players touched it around the 8 so that's where they placed the ball.

I think the miked ref used the word "illegal" when explaining why it went back to the 8 which may be the confusion .... IF I heard correctly.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  45

Its not so much the punt it was three very vanilla plays they called up the middle before that play instead of running what they had been running the entire game and in the fourth quarter. That is what most of the people are angry about but also not knowing our history, this same thing happened three times last year, happened against Texas Tech and Hawaii in the past. What upsets people is that instead of going for the throat of the opponent in those situations, they decide to change their strategy and go more to the not to lose stategy. That is what most are upset about especially after seeing it three times last year against Texas Tech, Louisiana Tech and Utah State. Then come into this season with it almost happening last week against Cal and then seeing it happen this week against South Florida. Its more of a history thing.

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Up the middle is what was working for you guys all game. We simply couldn't stop the run up the middle.

Edited by BullFan98

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

I think the miked ref used the word "illegal" when explaining why it went back to the 8 which may be the confusion .... IF I heard correctly.

"Illegal Touching" is an actual rule called when any player from the kicking team downs the ball on a punt/kick-off.

Normally this isn't called because the "penalty" is basically stoppage of time, and the ball being declared dead and placed on the stop of the touch.

So normally this is considered just a standard play

They ref verbally announced probably to prevent confusion on why they weren't starting from the 2 yard line.

Of course the ref could have just said it in layman's terms.

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

"Illegal Touching" is an actual rule called when any player from the kicking team downs the ball on a punt/kick-off.

Normally this isn't called because the "penalty" is basically stoppage of time, and the ball being declared dead and placed on the stop of the touch.

They ref verbally announced probably to prevent confusion on why they weren't starting from the 2 yard line.

Bravo... very good explanation, and spot on.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Well done. Found a link:

http://www.east-coast-bias.com/2007/10/illegal-touching-and-fair-catch-free.html

I never realized that once the kicking team touches it the return team has basically a risk free opportunity to return the ball. It seems that once Nevada touched it, Mitchell could have grabbed it. If he got tackled in the end zone or fumbled the ball it wouldn't have counted and we could have "opted" to instead take the ball at the 8.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  993

Punting seems like the easy call but they've never built their team out there around defense. They have this pretty unique wild offense attack and kind of soft defense.

For most of the country running it 3x and hopefully getting a first if not, punt, pin em deep, playing d. That's sound decision making. But that's not how that team is built and how they are built isn't necessarily the best way to close a game. That is just one of the disadvantages of the type of team they have.

Of course its all very easy in hindsight.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Didn't think Chris Ault made a bad play call during the entire game.