• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Never seen a HS use our logo untill

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  341
  • Days Won:  1

I am so lost as to why they are using our iconic U. What does it have to do with their school name? It is almost subliminal.

They paint the inside of the U to look like a T for Toros.

74534-79534-California-Modellcb2011_gs74534_r_2.jpgGo Toro's!

That just made my day!!!

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

It's a brand. You can't have others using your brand without permission. It diminishes the brand, and we've put an awful lot of money into that logo and the brand it represents.

If we don't defend it, we lose money. We lose money, we have less money for athletics.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

I am so lost as to why they are using our iconic U. What does it have to do with their school name? It is almost subliminal.

Toro = Bull???? Hellooo?

If we don't defend it, we lose money. We lose money, we have less money for athletics.

How exactly do we lose money, because a HS team in TheMiddleOfNowhere, AL is using a modified version of our logo? Step back from the ledge.Not that I think they should use it with impunity, but the rhetoric sounds like me on a rum drunk.

?

Edited by Bullwinkle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  740
  • Days Won:  3

I could be wrong but it doesn't like they use our logo anywhere else except in the end zone. (The Spanish Fort helmets have "SF" on them, which is kind of crazy since it's the same initials as South Florida.) I think whoever painted the field just thought it would be cool to add our logo not really thinking about the legal issues that could arise.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  167

we should demand a home and home series with this team

• Topic Count:  554
  • Content Count:  14,411
  • Days Won:  13

USF might need to threaten to sue them to protect their property rights to the logo.

And both FSU and UF suffered a tremendous backlash of negative publicity for going after those schools. If they are playing on ESPN, while ironically USF isn't, its because they are one of the best high school teams in the nation. USF is losing nothing and I wouldn't be surprised if some of these superstars of high school ball would be more apt to commit to USF. Suing the school. Might give USF some money. Might destroy a program. Might cause great recruits to hate USF. We aren't FSU or UF. We need all the fans we can get.

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/101622888.html?storySection=comments

Is FSU Bullying High School Over Seminole Logo?

School logos are meant to ignite spirit, courage and unity. But lately there is an inter-tribal struggle with those who call themselves Seminoles. In one corner Florida State University, a sports powerhouse. In the other, a local high school with a legacy of its own in Bradenton, located about four hours south. The center of the fight, the logo used on football helmets.

"When I go out on that field and I see that logo, it gets me excited. I want to play hard. I don't think it's right for them to try to take it away," says, Desmond Blue Football Team Captain at Southeast High.

Officials with Southeast High say they received a letter from FSU issuing a cease and desist order on the spear used on their helmets because it is too similar to theirs. And they want the logo changed by Monday 8/30.

WCTV contacted FSU's trademark and Licensing Department and they released this statement: "We are looking forward to working with Southeast High to reach a mutual agreement regarding the use of Seminole marks and logos."

Most of the people we talked to are wondering why the university is making this an issue. FSU Student Miranda Walls says, "I don't think it's a big deal. I think two different schools can have the same symbol. I think it just brings people together and I don't think it's anything to be fighting over."

FSU Student Leslie Dugger says, "If I was at that high school I wouldn't want to have to change it." "If they have been the Seminoles since the 1950's, I don't see why we have any rights to change anything about their logo or take that away from them," says, FSU student Bryon Smythe.

Jonathan Schillace says he remembers when the university had issues with its own branding. "We had controversy here at Florida State with our symbol and our name but we still have it. They are four hours away, I don't see the problem. I don't see why we need to ask them to change it."

"I mean, it doesn't really matter? I don't think it's a big deal. There's probably 20 different Seminoles across our nation," says student William Klein.

Southeast officials say it would cost over $100,000 to make all the changes. They plan to make a public records request to find out why the university is making these demands nearly sixty years after the school opened.

Edited by slick1ru2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

I don't think it would come to that... and the FSU situation isn't the same as Bradenton has been using the logo for 60 years. Spanish Fort is a very new school (Less than 10yrs old) so someone made a conscious decision to use the logo.

• Topic Count:  554
  • Content Count:  14,411
  • Days Won:  13

FSU went to court against several schools and came out looking like a bully. USF needs to be smarter than that.

• Topic Count:  205
  • Content Count:  2,187
  • Days Won:  2

My GF is a teacher at Bailey in Dover and they also use the U. I'm sure they got permission.

http://bailey.mysdhc.org/3CC4DD61-00757E5A.1/8282012_100547_0.gif?src=.PNG