• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Robert Davis falling in love with USF, waiting to be loved back

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

Don't know how Coach Skip Holes managed to miss and muff this. Right in our backyard and an early graduate who could be ready to go next fall. SMH. And 1st team ALL Suncoast Robert Davis who is crying for a USF offer. Come on CWT get after him.

Times' all-Suncoast football

The Hometeam Blog

Mon. December 24, 2012 | Times Staff

Offensive Player of the Year: QB Pete DiNovo, Sr., East Lake

It has been a whirlwind two weeks for Pete DiNovo.

After competing in the Pinellas senior all-star game Dec. 12, DiNovo was in Orlando two days later for his official visit to the University of Central Florida, where he committed this past summer. From there, DiNovo went to Sebring for the Florida Athletic Coaches Association all-star game Dec. 19. Then it was back to school for final exams and officially being declared an East Lake High graduate.

So it was understandable that DiNovo fell asleep on the commute for a photo shoot as the Times’ all-Suncoast Offensive Player of the Year.

“I’m just looking forward to a few days of relaxation,†DiNovo said.

Sure, the past few weeks – and months – have been busy, but they also have been awfully good.

This season, DiNovo established himself as the area’s best quarterback, as well as the most prolific passer ever in Pinellas County. The 6-foot-3, 205-pounder set county career records for passing yards (6,733) and touchdowns (59), as well as Pinellas’ single-season record for passing yards with 2,980. He also threw for 25 touchdowns and led the Eagles to an 11-2 record and the Class 8A region finals, where they lost to No. 1 ranked Orlando Dr. Phillips.

“Pete was huge as far as his ability to play quarterback and be a leader,†East Lake coach Bob Hudson said. “You only get guys like that every once in a while in your coaching career.â€

DiNovo only gets a week to relax. He returns from a graduation cruise with family and friends Jan. 5, the same day he reports to UCF for his first semester. He decided to enroll early so he could be ready for spring practice. The Knights coaching staff also wants him to serve as a host for incoming recruits.

“It’s been crazy everything that has happened,†DiNovo said. “I was excited for the season that we had, and I’m just as excited to start the next chapter in college.â€

Defensive Player of the Year: CB Vernon Hargreaves III, Sr., Wharton

On nights when Jackie Hargreaves would cook and her husband Vernon Hargreaves invited his players over for dinner, their son would often find himself pulled into games of pick-up basketball.

Of course, it was a tall order for Vernon III to keep up with University of Miami football stars like Reggie Wayne, Jonathan Vilma and Vince Wilfork.

But Vernon III refused to back down, mimicking their swagger and convincing himself he was one of their peers.

“I felt like I was part of the team,†said Hargreaves, whose father was a linebackers coach at Miami from 1998-2005. “So I learned from them. And if I lost to them, I’d just start crying and getting upset.â€

Years later, Hargreaves is poised to follow in the footsteps of his former houseguests.

A Florida commit and consensus five-star recruit, Hargreaves is our choice for all-Suncoast Defensive Player of the Year. Indeed, the 5-foot-11 and 190-pound senior might have fit in well on some of those old Hurricanes teams.

In the summer, Hargreaves asked his coaches to move from cornerback to safety so offenses could stop avoiding him. In the fall, he set about showing his coaches and opponents that it was the right move.

Hargreaves tallied 110 tackles, five interceptions, five forced fumbles and five pass deflections. He also made his presence felt in other phases of the game, scoring five touchdowns and five two-point conversions, serving as the holder and blocking a punt.

In his final high school game against top-ranked Orlando Dr. Phillips, Hargreaves put on one last Friday night show: 10 tackles, a forced fumble, two receptions for 27 yards - including a highlight-worthy one-handed grab for 21 yards, and 19 rushing yards.

He plans to take some of that old “The U†bravado to Gainesville, where he’ll likely focus solely on playing cornerback. Several fall Saturday trips to the Swamp have convinced him he’s ready for the challenge.

“They treated me like I was already on the team,†he said. “I can’t wait to get up there.â€

Coach of the Year: Mike DePue, Robinson

Destiny threw a rod at DePue just before he reached the glorious final exit of his tenure. The Knights’ excruciating 24-20 loss to Tallahassee Godby in the Class 5A semifinals ended the coaching career of the retiring 60-year-old Port Tampa fixture, but not before he became the program’s all-time winningest coach (72-43). DePue’s final Knights team set a state record with 13 defensive touchdowns and established a program mark with 535 points.

First-team offense

QB Will Worth, Sr., Newsome: Engineer of Hillsborough’s No. 2-ranked offense accounted for team-leading 2,600 yards, 30 TDs and 104 tackles

RB Robert Davis, Sr., Carrollwood Day: Career county rushing king ran for 2,221 yards in 2012

RB David Emmanuel, Sr., Pasco: Averaged almost 10 yards per carry while scoring 17 TDs

RB Janarion Grant, Sr., Pasco: North Suncoast offensive player of the year accounted for 20 TDs and scored five ways

RB Jamarlon Hamilton, Sr., Durant: Punishing fullback tallied 1,340 yards and 20 TDs

OL Bruce Hector, Sr.,, Robinson: Agile two-way force was best of an all-senior offensive line

OL Mason Cole, Jr., East Lake: Four-star recruit made biggest impact in pass protection

OL Connor Rafferty, Sr., Robinson: Knights legacy was team’s most physical lineman

OL Cameron Ruff, Sr., Jesuit: USF commitment also had five sacks on defense

OL Isaiah Wynn, Jr., Lakewood: Six-foot-3, 285-pounder pushed linemen around all season

WR Artavis Scott, Jr., East Lake: Had 994 yards and 10 TDs despite missing time with ankle injury

WR Jonathan Moore, Sr., Jefferson: Established himself as latest great Dragons wideout with 1,037 yards, 12 TDs

WR Andrew Meyer, Sr., Fivay: Led Pasco County with 1,028 receiving yards and 12 TDs

K William Few, Sr., Plant: Set school record with 13 FGs, including a long of 48 yards

ATH Juwan Brown, Sr., Largo: Threw for 17 TDs and led Packers to undefeated regular season

KR Trey Larry, Sr., Clearwater Central Catholic: Big-play threat returned four kicks for scores.

Second-team offense

QB Zain Gilmore, Sr., Robinson

RB Jarvis Stewart, Jr., Largo

RB Matt Breida, Sr., Nature Coast

RB Martin Ruiz, Sr., Robinson

RB Diquan Walker, Jr., Clearwater Central Catholic

OL Terry Linton, Sr., Anclote

OL Brandon Pertile, Sr., Countryside

OL Will Allen, Sr. Springstead

OL Alex Wood, Sr., Durant

OL Zach Hiller, Jr., Newsome

WR Karel Hamilton, Sr., Strawberry Crest

WR Marquez Valdes, Sr., Lakewood

WR Brad Hyman-Muhammad, Sr., Admiral Farragut

K Brandon Ray, So., Pasco

ATH Alvin Bailey, Sr., Armwood

KR Malik Johns, Jr., Pasco

First-team defense

DL Morgan Flournory, Sr., Pasco: North Suncoast defensive player of the year tallied 22.5 sacks

DL Harry Brown, Sr., Largo: Wreaked havoc with 60 tackles and six sacks

DL Ernest Suttles, Sr., Gaither. Iowa State commit logged 88 tackles, 12 sacks

DL Joey Ivie, Sr., Pasco: Florida commit dominated with 89 tackles and 12 sacks

LB Rocky Enos, Sr., Wharton: Hard-nosed defender had one game with fewer than 10 tackles

LB JJ Johnson, Jr., Robinson: His six defensive TDs included three in one game

LB Mitchell Wright, Sr., Plant: USF commit tied for team lead with 10 sacks, had 109 tackles

LB Luke McLeod, Sr., Springstead: Led Eagles to district title with 149 tackles and four sacks

DB Leon McQuay III, Sr., Armwood: Nationally coveted free safety had five INTs, 54 tackles

DB Mike Stevenson, Sr., Clearwater Central Catholic: Wake Forest commit had 94 tackles and three INTs

DB Jeremiah Green, Sr., Hillsborough: Reigning state triple jump champ had five INTs, 54 tackles

DB Shaquill Griffin, Sr., Lakewood: UCF commit had three interceptions for stout Spartans defense

P Sean Covington, Sr., St. Petersburg: UCLA commit averaged more than 46 yards per kick

UTIL Derrick Doss, Sr., Largo: Pinellas County defensive POY had 73 tackles and an INT

Second-team defense

DL Justin Madison, Sr., Robinson

DL Vincent Jackson, Jr., Jesuit

DL Rohan Blackwood, Jr., Nature Coast

DL Jordan Adderley, Sr., Clearwater Central Catholic

LB Shaquem Griffin, Sr., Lakewood

LB Adekunle Olusanya, Sr., Sickles

LB Jeremiah Jackson, Jr., Hernando

LB Quentin Cumings, Sr., Palm Harbor University

DB Tyrail Hawkins, Sr., Hernando

DB Tyler Serpo, Countryside

DB Keivontae Turk, Sr., Jefferson

DB Paris Bostick, Sr., Plant

P Nick Feely, Sr., Armwood

UTIL George Campbell, So., East Lake

Honorable mention

Admiral Farragut: Todd Macon; Anclote: Willie Barrett, Tymere Carter; Armwood: Kyle Gibson

Carrollwood Day: Andy Embody; Countryside: Mike Love, Zach Rosinski, Ryan Pandy, Ryan Yates; Fivay: Tyler Degen, Davion Sutton, Kevin Faulkner; Freedom: Max Orr; Hernando: Robert Hill Bronson; Hillsborough: Nigel Harris; Lakewood: Rodney Adams; Largo: Frankie Hernandez, Cordell Hudson; Mitchell: Foster Artlip, Sam Miller; Nature Coast: Josh Benyola, Frank Sampson; Northeast: Auggie Sanchez; Pasco: Ajee Carr; Pinellas Park: Tyree Graves, Eric Hampson; Plant: Wesley Bullock; Sickles: Ray Ray McCloud; Springstead: Pedro Estrada, Nick Bailey; Sunlake: Eddie Burgos, Aaron Protch, Connor Gilboy; Tampa Bay Tech: Richard Benjamin; Wharton: Chase Litton<p>

http://www.tampabay....football/16129/

Why is a post about Pete Dinovo suddenly moved to the Robert Davis Thread? You can't leave for a half hour without having to go looking for your posts again. It's supermod, Trip at work I'm sure. Don't go out driving , ok, Trip?

You mentioned Robert Davis in your initial comment and then highlighted him! I think I can see why....

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

Um.... You actually highlighted Davis' name... Exactly what did you think was going to happen?

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Hey, it was an aside to my original post. I was just pointing him out because he was in the same article, but my post was about Dinovo. Why would the OP be removed from Dinovo thread? I'll try not to add any highlights in the future. Shhh, Big Brother is watching.

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

That's the way this board is ran...you know it, I know it, We all know it...so why keep whining...and I think the post should have been moved because it did not stay on topic ur went to another topic which has its own thread...if you don't like it then don't post OR pay for the site and take the time to maintain it and then you can make the rules and if you don't do that then QUITYERBITCHIN!...this message board can be very aggravating to read sometimes but I have been addicted to here since 2005 so I can't leave...

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  58
  • Days Won:  0

What about the big kid from new tampa...number 14 ? Does Taggert not care for him?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

What about the big kid from new tampa...number 14 ? Does Taggert not care for him?

Could you be a bit more specific on who you're talking about? What school?

Wharton

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,040
  • Days Won:  11

Wharton

chase litton?

http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/wlYeJYSh7EG0cZjVZHFkuA/football-fall-12/profile-chase-litton.htm

I believe he's next years class if that's who you're talking about

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Name sounds familiar - hadn't Holtz been in touch with Litton? Seem to remember his name in this board.

Well if Taggart does not offer him in his own back yard he must kinda suk no?