• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Should PSU get the Death Penalty?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

A culture of harboring people who do things (such as harbor pedophiles) is what needs to stop. It's the meta-argument

And there is no way in hell of those people are gone.

Need to clean house by shutting down the whole football program, athletics office, and anyone who had oversight from above,

Edited by charsibb

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

A culture of harboring people who do things (such as harbor pedophiles) is what needs to stop. It's the meta-argument

Need to clean house by shutting down the whole football program, athletics office, and anyone who had oversight from above,

I agree. if they are harboring pedophiles then they need to be shut down.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

what culture? does pen n state harbor pedophiles? that culture? yeah if they are doing that they need to be shut down. I assumed you meant a culture of cheating and covering up. that happens at every major athletic department. shut them all down if you're talking about the cheating and covering-up culture.

They did harbor a pedophile child predator. For 14 years. Long enough for the janitors to be afraid of retribution for going forward to report Sandusky. They were afraid of retribution for bringing to light a dark stain on what was a publicly pristine image of JoePa and the PSU football program. That culture of hero worship, as one other poster put it, was so profound that it couldn't be ruined even though young boys were getting raped in the showers at Penn State.

I don't know how this can be made clearer. The point needs to be driven home that the image of the university DOES NOT come before the well-being of those involved with it, and that those who are in charge of the university ARE going to be held accountable if they break the law.

Edited by GaUSFBull

I agree. if they are harboring pedophiles then they need to be shut down.

They're not. Those who harbored pedophiles are (supposedly) gone. But the culture of harboring still exists.

Paraphrasing one of my favorite T-shirts, "Kill em all, let the Teapot sort em out"

Edited by charsibb

The quote button is your my our friend. LOL

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

what culture? does pen n state harbor pedophiles? that culture? yeah if they are doing that they need to be shut down. I assumed you meant a culture of cheating and covering up. that happens at every major athletic department. shut them all down if you're talking about the cheating and covering-up culture.

They did harbor a pedophile child predator. For 14 years. Long enough for the janitors to be afraid of retribution for going forward to report Sandusky. They were afraid of retribution for bringing to light a dark stain on what was a publicly pristine image of JoePa and the PSU football program. That culture of hero worship, as one other poster put it, was so profound that it couldn't be ruined even though young boys were getting raped in the showers at Penn State.

I don't know how this can be made clearer. The point needs to be driven home that the image of the university DOES NOT come before the well-being of those involved with it, and that those who are in charge of the university ARE going to be held accountable if they break the law.

who is they? I agree they should be held accountable.

and again I agree that those in charge of the university should be held accountable.I assume that's the "they" you are referring to. no argument there.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Burn it down and start over.... Works in nature all the time

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

I agree...There is absolutely no way that only 4 employees were involved in a span of 14 years. It would be ignorant to think that no one heard or saw anything during all that time. PSU has an opportunity to show the world that they are more than College Football. The culture definitely has to change. Not one employee or BOT has stepped down yet. Something is wrong there!

PSU is not getting pressure from any organization. If the crimes were against any other ethnicity then it would be a total different story. The victims have no voice.

I don't know how any company is going to sponsor any of their football games this year. Who would pay for commercial space?

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Death penalty, death penalty, death penalty. An example must be made. Doesn't get any worse in my book.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

I have never agreed with anything that GA said more. This really is the crux of the issue. This isn't 4 guys covering up heinous behavior. This is a system that values football above anything else, including the precious sanctity of young children's live's. Where is the outrage in PA? All I hear , except for a select few, is this minimization of the effect of the whole system or culture. "It's only 4 people, why should everyone be punished"? Why? So it never happens again. Some people even try to make a financial argument, like the economic structure would suffer if you shut down FB. Where are you morals people. If the entire FB staff was raping those youngsters in the showers, would you condone firing that staff and keeping FB? Knowing that the entire university hierarchy had protected that behavior? Where is the trip wire? When does a crime become so heinous that you might remove the program to assure the demise of the problem? Is there a limit? Personally my limit was exceeded by leaps and bounds. You have to purge that system or it will never change.

This is obviously the most egregious example of ego and imperial indifference I have ever heard of in college athletics. If you can't execute the ultimate penalty for this, what can you assign it to? After finding out that Sandusky had raped a child in the showers in 1998, the University didn't even bother to find out who this poor young victim was. They didn't ask Sandusky, they didn't investigate it. and they likely influenced the District Attorney to not pursue it. God, what else do you want to find out? At that moment they had committed Cardinal Sin, illegal behavior and complete moral outrage. If ever an example needed to be sent, I would think that this is the time for that example.