• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conner Rafferty OT Robinson HS Tampa

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  423

KB: First story, second paragraph:

"Rafferty's mother, Tracy, confirmed that USF has rescinded its scholarship offer to her son ..."

Confirmed, as in, second person corroborating high school coach who called newspaper to tell us same thing ...

FAIL!   Your corroborating coach's source wasn't USF.  

Grow up... Greg didn't write the story... the Home Team guys did. They're the ones that didn't check their sources or verify with USF what the actual story was. 

They can't verify with USF, can they?

They took the word of a High School coach and parents who were upset at the changed status of their son.

What was the changed status if it wasn't he was no longer guaranteed a schollie?

If they'd taken a moment to verify before they ran the story then maybe none of this would have ever happened. 

Again, verify with who? USF can't comment on recruits by name to the media, right?

If this was just a miscommunication problem, you'd think they would have cleared it up with Depue who in turn would have cleared it up with the media ... and that could still happen. You would hope the Home Team are still asking questions.

The can (and reportedly have) answer the question ....Are you going to honor all offers extended to recruits by Skip Holtz.? 

USF to honor Rafferty's scholarship offer

By JOEY JOHNSTON | The Tampa Tribune

Published: January 16, 2013

Updated: January 16, 2013 - 4:35 PM

TAMPA --

The University of South Florida will honor all football scholarship offers made to prospects who had verbally committed to former coach Skip Holtz, USF spokesman Jeremy Sharpe said Wednesday.

http://www2.tbo.com/sports/breaking-news/2013/jan/16/1/usf-to-honor-raffertys-scholarship-offer-ar-608485/

Should have been asked before the Home Team ran the article ....

• Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  423

That's just it Trip... yes... USF could have confirmed thru channels that the offer was still good.... yes... Home Team could have had DuPue contact USF to verify what happened before they ran the story... any number of things could have been confirmed. 

The short answer is they didn't..... 

Hell if McMurphy can get leaks from USF about everything under the sun there this a way Home Team could have confirmed something as small as this.

I actually agree that they should have posed the generic question to USF before writing the full article to at least get something like they got on Wednesday.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Tracy Rafferty said Connor's dad, Robin Rafferty has a meeting scheduled with USF coaches Thursday at noon. Meantime, former Knights coach Mike DePue said he has heard from two Bulls coaches -- including Taggart -- who have acknowledged a miscommunication.

"It was really unfortunate," DePue said. "As they say, it was a faux pas on their part."

http://www.tampabay.com/hometeam/blog/options-increase-rafferty-usf-reaffirms-offer/16284/

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

I really gain nothing by chiming in here on a story I didn't write, but why not? Let me start with a general statement: You "FAIL!" guys have no idea what you're talking about.

I think the level of discourse on this thread is summed up outstandingly by the combined spelling, noun-verb agreement and sheer anatomical difficulty of a sentence like "The Times has it's head up their butts."

USF can't comment publicly about a recruit. We can't quote a university official about a recruitable athlete, or else they risk being unable to sign that athlete. We can certainly do other things -- can go well out of our way -- to make sure there is balance in a story in which only one side can comment. Every effort was made over the past 60 hours to get a very accurate sense of what happened from all sides. There were no objections from USF about the accuracy of Monday's report, or Tuesday's column in response to that.

Yes, USF could have put out a fire much more effectively by sending out the same message Monday morning instead of 48 hours later. If I'm leaving anything out, it's not to protect the Times.

Edited by Greg Auman

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

There's an important distinction to make: USF isn't saying all offers made under Holtz will be honored. USF is saying all offers that were accepted by players committing to play at USF before the coaching change will be honored by the new staff. USF probably offered 100-plus kids under Holtz. There's no way they could honor all of those.

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Was he in fact "committed"?  I know the offer was there, but was he listed as a commit?

Since June ...

Thanks.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

Does he have a trademark on that thing? If not he should...  :facepalm:

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I think the level of discourse on this thread is summed up outstandingly by the combined spelling, noun-verb agreement and sheer anatomical difficulty of a sentence like "The Times has it's head up their butts."

That was an impressive sentence by Mr Auman.  

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,421
  • Days Won:  3

This topic needs a quick death.  Constantly bringing it up only gives it new life. We will never have the "REAL TRUTH"  so lets all agree to end this and not aid the trolls

• Topic Count:  211
  • Content Count:  1,829
  • Days Won:  1

There is only so much room on CWT bus somebody has to be kicked off this bus is moving fast so get out the way!!!