• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

BCS gone; BE not in Big 5 conferences

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

I heard on ESPN Radio that the SEC Commissh apparently stated to an aide that all of the schools and conferences that are not one of the elite top 5 conferences will be relegated down to the FCS where they belong.

If true then you can bet that there will be a mad scramble as every Big East team makes a mad dash to whore themselves out to the so-called elite top 5 conferences. I fear that the only way we can come out of this on top is if FSU leaves the ACC for the B12, but I really don't see that happening now that the ACC is included in that top 5.

2 Cents - My main issue is not losing the bowl games, personally I feel that the bowl system is corrupt given how the bowl committes force the invited schools to buy 20,000 seats each. 9 times out of 10 these seats are not sold, and the schools have to eat the $$, especially if your team travels outside of your region. My main issue is having a number of schools shut-out by the old guard who fear giving up ground to new programs like USF or Boise State.

While I love the bowl games and traveling to them, I can see where a playoff system that is similar to the NFL could be bennefical to college football more so then the current bowl system. Hopefully they don't make the mistake of copying the Basketball March Madness system where a bunch of schools play regional tournaments in neutral arenas.

in any event we will know where we fall in a few months time.

this would be great news

the fcs teams than can form their own alliance

lets see how long big 5 lasts if they have to only PLAY WITH themselves

Edited by smazza

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Room for more at large teams. If that is accurate, there would still be AQ for some of the BCS bowl slots which would continue as it does today. The real question is whether there still is a real or de facto AQ, and wheter the BE would have one.

The commissioners were very diligent in making sure each of the 11 FBS conferences would have access to playing in the semifinals and other BCS games. They eliminated "AQ" and "non-AQ" status at a meeting in April, so teams from any of the 11 conferences would be eligible to be selected for the playoffs by the committee. The commissioners are also considering adding at least one more BCS bowl (and possibly two) to create more at-large berths for teams from outside the bigger conferences. It's believed the new Champions Bowl, which would pit a Big 12 team against an SEC team, might be part of the BCS rotation.

If that is truly the case, just create one more BCS bowl game for the Big East and Mountain West conferences. Then it's a win-win-win.

if non big 5 teams dont get a fair shot at championship they should break away

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I heard on ESPN Radio that the SEC Commissh apparently stated to an aide that all of the schools and conferences that are not one of the elite top 5 conferences will be relegated down to the FCS where they belong.

I cannot imagine Slive stating this. If they tried to push teams down to the FCS, there would be massive lawsuits.

• Topic Count:  158
  • Content Count:  711
  • Days Won:  0

The SEC commish thinks he does other conferences (included the other 4 "Big 5") a favor by even allowing any of them to have a shot at the 4 team National SEC Championship.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

I don't see a large enough skill gap between the acc and big east to justy one league be in the FCS and not te other. I really think the best three conferences are big XII, SEC, and big10 but after that I feel the leagues aren't the different.

Our "FCS" team in 4 seasons has toppled FSU, Auburn, Clemson, Kansas, Miami, Notre Dame. These are all "big 5" schools. How many average teams can list this many OOC wins like this in against big 5 schools in their last 4 seasons?

If Slive really believes this because of a talent gap he's insane. I could see him wanting it only to reduce competition. I don't think it will ever happen.

Edited by Gismo

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I don't see a large enough skill gap between the acc and big east to justy one league be in the FCS and not te other. I really think the best three conferences are big XII, SEC, and big10 but after that I feel the leagues aren't the different.

Our "FCS" team in 4 seasons has toppled FSU, Auburn, Clemson, Kansas, Miami, Notre Dame. These are all "big 5" schools. How many average teams can list this many OOC wins like this in against big 5 schools in their last 4 seasons?

If Slive really believes this because of a talent gap he's insane. I could see him wanting it only to reduce competition. I don't think it will ever happen.

agreed.

pac is better than big ten though. big ten is hugely over rated.

they had 1 NC in 2000's

1 NC in 90's

have to go all the way back to 1970 for their next one

they were pretty dominant in the 60's though.

USC has as many in the last 10 years as big ten has in the last 40 years.

SEC would not have made the playoffs in 2000,2001,2005.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  490
  • Days Won:  1

Room for more at large teams. If that is accurate, there would still be AQ for some of the BCS bowl slots which would continue as it does today. The real question is whether there still is a real or de facto AQ, and wheter the BE would have one.

The commissioners were very diligent in making sure each of the 11 FBS conferences would have access to playing in the semifinals and other BCS games. They eliminated "AQ" and "non-AQ" status at a meeting in April, so teams from any of the 11 conferences would be eligible to be selected for the playoffs by the committee. The commissioners are also considering adding at least one more BCS bowl (and possibly two) to create more at-large berths for teams from outside the bigger conferences. It's believed the new Champions Bowl, which would pit a Big 12 team against an SEC team, might be part of the BCS rotation.

If that is truly the case, just create one more BCS bowl game for the Big East and Mountain West conferences. Then it's a win-win-win.

if non big 5 teams dont get a fair shot at championship they should break away

+ 100

This is exactly what I've been saying. I'd much rather have a legitimate shot at winning something then no shot at winning something else.

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

just win.

when the BE gets squared away... undefeated BE teams will be in. We will need a hell of a year to get to the dance but it is possible

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I can't believe that this was said. There would be lawsuits already. Not to mention the other conferences are already included in the 12 year contract.

2 Cents - My main issue is not losing the bowl games, personally I feel that the bowl system is corrupt given how the bowl committes force the invited schools to buy 20,000 seats each. 9 times out of 10 these seats are not sold, and the schools have to eat the $$, especially if your team travels outside of your region.

First, schools can decline bowl bids. Second it costs a lot of money to put on a bowl, and you have to pay a school money to come. Why wouldn't you put ticket minimums out there? Most smaller games cap those at 10-12k. The BCS was 17.5k, nothing corrupt there.

My main issue is having a number of schools shut-out by the old guard who fear giving up ground to new programs like USF or Boise State.

I seriously doubt Alabama or Ohio State are worried about losing ground to USF or Boise State.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  271
  • Days Won:  1

let's face it

big east went into toilet when big 3 left for acc

What the **** are the italics for??

67k + posts and he is still learning how to use a message board.

i am not computer literate

sue me

Don't worry about it. Some people on here are just asses.