• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

QB Kurt Benkert

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2,341
  • Content Count:  21,355
  • Days Won:  10

Anyone have any information on this kid?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Coach Fitch must have seen something in him to make the early offer.

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Yes, we offered him. He was at the Green and Gold game and apparently wasn't impressed with Matt floyd. LOL

Here is an article from ND site.

Irish Evaluating Florida QB

Tuesday, 06 March 2012 18:57 Christian McCollum

As Notre Dame continues its search for quarterback prospects in the Class of 2013, it’s clear the Irish are looking everywhere. The Irish have already extended a few offers, but they’re still evaluating other signal-callers as well.

Kurt Benkert has earned offers from South Florida and Western Kentucky already and is looking for more. This season will be the first for the 6-foot-3, 197-pounder from Cape Coral, Fla., at Island Coast High School after transferring from Cape Coral High School.

Benkert has talked with Irish assistant Tony Alford a few times recently and there seems to be legitimate interest on Notre Dame’s behalf.

“He told me that they’re definitely recruiting me and I’m on their list, but the only thing with quarterbacks is that they want to see me throw in person,†Benkert said of Alford. “But he said he loved my highlight tape and everything and if it was up to that, he would offer me.â€

Benkert is fired up about hearing from a program like Notre Dame.

“It’s pretty exciting because of the prestige they have,†he said. “I’m excited to learn more and I’m excited to visit there.â€

Benkert hasn’t set up a visit yet, but could make it to South Bend as early as this month.

“I have to talk it over with my coach more,†said Benkert, who added he’d visit during the summer if he can’t make it in March.

Benkert attends the same school that produced Aaron Lynch, although Benkert doesn’t know Lynch that well since this is his first year at Island Coast.

Benkert was offered by USF head coach Skip Holtz in person and is also receiving interest from Florida State. He is enjoying seeing his recruitment go to a new level.

“It’s really exciting just because I knew it was going to happen, I just didn’t know when,†he said. “I had people tell me, ‘It’s going to be hectic and everything come springtime.’ I was just waiting for it to happen.â€

Arm strength is one of Benkert’s biggest attributes.

“I can drive the ball, I’ve got an arm,†he said. “I’m not the fastest kid on the field, but I can make plays with my feet. Whenever people watch my film, that’s usually what they comment on, my footwork. I throw really good deep outs and comebacks because I can drive the ball.â€

Benkert has already established a few factors that will be key in his final decision.

“I want to go somewhere that’s more of a college town than anything,†he said. “I want to go somewhere with a traditional, established program. Location is going to be a factor because I don’t want to go somewhere that isn’t feasible for my family to come to games. My family is important. I want to go somewhere with a pro-style offense.â€

Benkert isn’t sure if South Bend would be too far away for him.

“I haven’t really looked into it,†he said. “When I think far away, I’m thinking California far away.â€

He also isn’t exactly sure what type of offense he wants to play in.

“I’ve gone back and forth about it,†he said. “I don’t want to be in a complete spread, but I definitely don’t want to go to a place that just runs the ball.â€

He does have an idea of when he’d like to make a decision.

“We’re trying to get it done before the season starts,†he said. “If I can make it earlier, then so be it, but I’m not going to be one of those kids who goes back on my decision. I just want to make sure once it’s final, I’m done with it, but I don’t want to commit just to commit. Wherever I commit, that’s where I’m going to go.â€

http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting/6636-irish-evaluating-florida-qb

He was a star at the Nike camp this past weekend.

Recruiting: Local players impress at nike

9:25 PM, Apr. 16, 2012

Geoff Vogt

Five players from Southwest Florida participated at Nike’s Miami Training Camp at Barry University on Sunday in the hopes of qualifying for its premiere camp, The Opening. The event is an all-expense paid, four-day camp at Nike headquarters in Beaverton, Ore., for rising seniors

Island Coast quarterback Kurt Benkert was considered the top junior at his position and certainly was the most consistent. Benkert added offers from Maryland and UConn last week. And his weekend performance led to invitations to attend Nike camps next weekend in Atlanta and Orlando, as part of a succession of events necessary to receive an invitation to the coveted Elite 11 — a quarterback training event. The Elite 11 event features the top quarterbacks in the country and includes a who’s who of college quarterbacks from the last decade among its alumni.

http://www.news-press.com/article/20120417/SPORTS01/304170018/1075/Recruiting-Local-players-impress-nike?odyssey=nav%7Chead

Coach Fitch must have seen something in him to make the early offer.

He was actually offered by Holtz in person. See ND article above.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Yes, we offered him. He was at the Green and Gold game and apparently wasn't impressed with Matt floyd. LOL

Please elaborate, if possible?

Please elaborate, if possible?

Just read that some poster on another board had said that about him. Saw it while I was searching.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

He wants to go to a college town? That is absolutely not us...

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,649
  • Days Won:  4

So he wants a college town, lots of tradition, not too far from home and someone who runs a pro-style offense.

Well we aren't too far from home......not sure what we call our offense.