• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Lindsey Lamar moving back to RB

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Good I like him at rb, he has serious speed that we need to use vs teams this year.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,692
  • Days Won:  2

Hard to believe he will be a senior.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

noel devine was 160 or under. lindsey can be just as elusive.

Devine was a freak in the weight room and very strong. Haven't heard much about Lamar in that regard.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

big deal

they never utilized this guy properly

never got him ball in space consistently

oh because we didnt have a qb that could make the throws consistently and we still dont

it will be another long year

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

We'll be able to create horrible matchups if we split him out after lining him up in the BF

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

big deal

they never utilized this guy properly

never got him ball in space consistently

oh because we didnt have a qb that could make the throws consistently and we still dont

it will be another long year

Man-you held out this long... I think we can all agree that he was under utilized here...

• Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

He is a little skinny for RB no?

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

By TOM ZEBOLD

USF Senior Writer

TAMPA - The Bulls are giving one of their deadliest weapons on offense an opportunity to do more damage in 2012.

The speedy, versatile Lindsey Lamar has returned to his natural running back position after working primarily as a wide receiver last season and the senior is excited about the move to say the least.

"I know it's another way that I can help our team get to where we need to get," he said. "Coaches feel like it's the best for me. I trust them and what they believe in."

USF fans also should be excited about the move because of Lamar's game-changing ability any time he touches the ball. His 1,124 all-purpose yards in 2011 ranked him sixth all-time in the school's single-season record books and Lamar was electric when he was handed the ball on reverses, averaging 8.8 yards per carry.

"It brought me back to my old running back days," he said.

USF coaches brought those days back in a hurry this spring after a huge spot at running back opened when Darrell Scott opted to go pro. Lamar's mind was on being a receiver on Day 1 in practice when members of the staff handed him a new mission.

"I was a little shocked. I wasn't expecting it," Lamar said. "... Coming in I'm getting ready to play receiver. The whole day I was soaking it in thinking 'I'm actually in the I-formation right now.' I'm still kind of shocked the whole day at practice that I'm actually doing it."

Lamar added a quick switch is "all good" for him and the coaches made it because they know he can handle it with ease. The former Hillsborough High School star rushed for 1,319 yards and 18 touchdowns as a senior and running back has been his primary position since he first started playing football at the age of 10.

"I think he naturally thinks he's more of a tailback type guy," USF running backs coach Larry Scott said.

Not all running backs are Lamar's type, however, and that was the main reason why USF made the move. The 2010 Big East Special Teams Player of the Year is a veteran track star and took a little time off from football to become the conference's 60-meter champion at its indoor championships in February. His time of 6.78 seconds was just seven one-hundredths off the Big East meet record.

"To win the Big East indoor was one of my biggest accomplishments," Lamar said.

Lamar should get a medal for simply putting himself in a position to compete in track and field. During that time period he was at football practice Monday, Wednesday and Friday in the mornings and found a way to get on the track in the evenings. He also kept his game up in the classroom and was one of 18 Bulls to make the Big East All-Academic Football Team with above a 3.0 grade point average.

"The character of the young man goes to all that he puts himself through on a daily basis," Scott said.

Lamar can't help but smile about the larger task that awaits him heading into next season and that involves packing on a few pounds. At 5-foot-9, he's gone from weighing in the 160s last year to his current weight range of 172-174 pounds and he hopes to add another 10 or so to prepare his body for the punishment Big East defenders deliver.

Punishment definitely isn't something Lamar is worried about no matter how much he weighs.

"I love getting roughed up a little bit," he said. "The three-on-three drill that we do (in practice), that's the most exciting thing to me because I love to just run up there full speed just blasting through the hole. For me to be my size, I still feel pretty good doing that. I'd rather do that than run routes."

Aside from the physical part of the game, Lamar is leaning on veteran back Demetris Murray for pointers during his second college orientation at the position. He pointed out that working on mechanics will be huge this spring and said blocking as a running back is far different than doing it as a receiver.

"It's a lot on my shoulders, but it's all worth it," Lamar said.

Time will tell how many times Lamar will get to carry the load in the fall. The coaches aren't even sure at this point as they install the offense and the new addition to the backfield is using his "it's all good" approach to the possibilities.

"My goal is to help the team win a Big East championship," Lamar said. "If I get a lot of touches, I get them. I know the coaches want to call the right plays to make us win. If I happen to be in that play then so be it. All I want is for our team to win."

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=205405581#.T3TUlgIFaRI.twitter

• Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

I can't wait for this season to get started, unlike Debbie Downer aka smazza I think this year will be an improvement over last and that we will go bowling once gain.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

BTW,

That 6.78 equates to a sub 4.2 if my math is correct

Archived