• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Next Year/USF Hoops

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2,330
  • Content Count:  21,287
  • Days Won:  10

We are blessed that they put an investment into the practice facility, it really has turned our program around. Also, I am looking forward to seeing the new dome.

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

heath is a good coach

usf is lucky to have him

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Rothstein Files: This And That Around College Basketball

April 11, 2012 9:45 AM

- No coach has been giddier about his team’s prospects for next year since the season ended than South Florida’s Stan Heath. The Bulls return a strong core of parts from this year’s NCAA Tournament squad including steady point guard Anthony Collins, versatile wing Jawanza Poland, and two pieces up front in Victor Rudd and Toarlyn Fitzpatrick. South Floirda also adds JUCO shooting guard Musa Abdul Aleem, and JUCO big man Waverly Austin. Heath is also high on incoming freshman Javontae Hawkins as well as the idea of playing Rudd in spurts at power forward. “This will be my best team at South Florida,†Heath told me in New Orleans. We’re looking forward to finding out.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/04/11/rothstein-files-this-and-that-around-college-basketball-4/

Rothstein Files: An Early Look At The Top 25 For College Basketball In 2012-13

April 4, 2012 8:58 PM

ON THE CUSP:

SOUTH FLORIDA: The Bulls add offense in JUCO guard Musa Abdul Aleem — and that’s why Stan Heath thinks this is will be his best team yet in Tampa

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  1,055
  • Days Won:  2

This is exciting for me. its the first time I look at one of our teams in years and think that we will have more then one guy who should be in the NBA in a 3 or 4 year time frame.

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

Sniffing the top 25? Never thought I'd see the day...

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I'm really excited about next year... seems like we will have a really good mix of both talent and experience. If this team can even come close to the defensive philosophy of last year, we are in good shape. We lost 3 very good defenders, including our emotional leader, but I can see AC picking up where Ron left off with leadership. Hopefully our interior d gets even better with Austin and Omo protecting the rim, and I have faith in Rudd and Poland to be that lock down defender that Hugh was (probably Rudd... he showed spurts late in the season)

I believe our offense will be much more efficient next year with AC running the show all year, so that we won't have that bad early part of the season. Should be a really good year.

My wild card is how much does Hawkins and Aleem (juco-should get pt right away) play and contribute. If they are ready right away, watch out and don't blink.

I'm really excited about next year... seems like we will have a really good mix of both talent and experience. If this team can even come close to the defensive philosophy of last year, we are in good shape. We lost 3 very good defenders, including our emotional leader, but I can see AC picking up where Ron left off with leadership. Hopefully our interior d gets even better with Austin and Omo protecting the rim, and I have faith in Rudd and Poland to be that lock down defender that Hugh was (probably Rudd... he showed spurts late in the season) I believe our offense will be much more efficient next year with AC running the show all year, so that we won't have that bad early part of the season. Should be a really good year. My wild card is how much does Hawkins and Aleem (juco-should get pt right away) play and contribute. If they are ready right away, watch out and don't blink.

Aleem sat out this past season, so I'm not sure how rusty he will be starting out.

The sleeper is Zach LeDay. He was playing exceptionally well and scoring a ton of points at the end of the year and was even named ESPN player of the week. He could be a bigger contributor right away.

• Upvote 1

Bulls Beat: Heath gets signature from prospect LeDay

By JOEY JOHNSTON | The Tampa Tribune

Published: April 11, 2012 Updated: April 11, 2012 - 5:03 PM

» 0 Comments | Post a Comment

TAMPA --

As the University of South Florida men's basketball team became a Big East Conference contender, then as the Bulls came within one victory of the NCAA Tournament's Sweet 16, at least one person in suburban Dallas was in hoops heaven.

Meet Zach LeDay, a 6-foot-7, 217-pound forward from The Colony High. LeDay committed to USF after his visit in early January when the Bulls were a .500 team, back when they were still selling a dream. LeDay, who made it official Wednesday, the first day of the spring signing period, said he couldn't be happier.

"I was wearing my USF stuff about every day to school,'' LeDay said. "I was fired up about it. I guess I'm coming at a good time.''

Absolutely.

LeDay, who averaged 20.6 points and 8.4 rebounds for The Colony, also considered Missouri, Fresno State, Vanderbilt, LSU and George Mason. But he hit it off with another USF Texan – freshman point guard Anthony Collins of Houston – and bought into Stan Heath's vision.

"I just saw the potential in USF's program,'' said LeDay, who has a 3.3 grade-point average. "It's the Big East. We're going to continue to be a good team in the Big East and I think we'll be back in the NCAA Tournament.

"I don't think I'll be the only one interested in being part of this. The Sun Dome is going to be great. The practice facility is already there. It's in Tampa. I'm excited.''

Cleve Ryan, coach at The Colony, said he expects LeDay to become a power forward at USF, but his player also displayed some outside-shooting ability.

"He's a tough kid whose motor runs all the time at a high level and he's a mismatch because he's a 6-7 forward who can step out and shoot the ball well,'' USF assistant coach Steve Roccaforte said.

In the fall, USF signed 6-10 junior-college center Waverly Austin, 6-5 high-school combination guard JaVontae Hawkins and 6-5 swingman Musa Abdul-Aleem, who will have three seasons of eligibility. The Bulls have one remaining scholarship and 6-4 guard Sam Cassell Jr. of Baltimore is scheduled to visit USF this weekend.

There's also 6-6 swingman Martino Brock, a transfer from South Alabama, and 7-3 Jordan Omogbehin, who sat out last season.

"We're going to be good,'' LeDay said. "I'm glad to be part of it.''

jjohnston@tampatrib.com (813) 259-7353 Twitter: JJohnstonTrib

http://www2.tbo.com/sports/usf-bulls/2012/apr/11/bulls-beat-heath-gets-signature-from-prospect-leda-ar-391004/

T.jordan.Omogbehin †@Super_human_92

RT @BIGMEECH813: Just thinkin about @USFMBB next season gets me pumped! @speedyman11 @ReallasaGna5 @IamLeagueRudd ... http://m.tmi.me/ogqD0

11:29 AM - 12 Apr 12 via UberSocial for BlackBerry · Details

• Upvote 1

Anthony Ray

@ArizonaPreps

Anthony Ray is a basketball scout and the McDonald's All-American contact for the state of Arizona, and the senior editor for ArizonaPreps.com.

Phoenix, Arizona · http://www.arizonapreps.com

Anthony Ray †@ArizonaPreps

University of South Florida sophomore point guard Blake Nash has asked for his release and will transfer schools.

3:33 PM - 11 Apr 12 via Twitter for Android · Details