• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Under Attack from Politician

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

I'm making a call to a newcaster I know who is on a local TV channel and does investigative reporting.

BTW, Reggie Roundtree is also a USF alumni. But he doesn't do the invstigative stuff....

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,019
  • Days Won:  2

We have been heard, but not loud enough:

As of now, the Committee on Budget approved a measure to reinstate the $25 million contingency funding for USF.

Respectfully,

Don Gaetz

Exerpt from a response by my senator.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

From my understanding all schools are getting funding cut but USF's 58% is ridiculous. What is appropriate in your minds.

~30% for USF?

Across the board ~25% initially?

Equal cuts across the board, all schools in the state should take the same cuts.

• Content Count:  791

• Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

Can't forget about this.

I hope everyone is still writing in. Many times politicians just wait for the initial ferrvor to subside before pushing their agendas

http://www.tampabay.com/news/education/college/no-deal-out-of-genshaft-alexander-usf-funding-meeting/1216216

Behind the scenes, Sen. Jim Norman, R-Tampa, drafted an amendment to Alexander's budget plan that he says will ensure USF gets "certainty" that it will be treated fairly.

Norman wants to reduce USF's total budget cut from $78 million to something more on par with cuts to other similarly sized schools. Earlier in the day, he said the final cut should be closer to $45 million but later said he was still hammering out the exact amount. Norman's amendment would also seek to add back $18 million so USF could absorb USF Poly's faculty and staff and $6 million to maintain the pharmacy school. That funding currently is in the budget for USF Polytechnic.

All told, proposed cuts to the university system total $400 million, with USF, the University of Central Florida, Florida Atlantic University and Florida International University taking the biggest hits.

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Judy is right that medical should be our short-term focus, but long term wise we need a law school if we are gonna remain viable in this state. Florida is a deep-south state and as such it has the "good-ole-boy" system of politics that both sides of the political spectrum rule with an iron fist.

Not likely to happen now. Thomas M. Cooley Law School is opening up a branch campus in Riverview, FL, and this has been approved by the American Bar Association. Unless the population explodes in Florida, I don't foresee USF getting a 13th law school to service the state.

• Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

The only response I recieved from ALL of the messages I sent... Thank you!

Thank you for your letter regarding the Senate’s drastic proposed state funding cuts to USF. Like you, I am extremely concerned about the Senate proposal. Please be mindful that these funding cuts are being proposed in the Senate budget only, and the House budget in no way reflects these same cuts. As Vice-Chair of the Hillsborough County Legislative Delegation, I clearly understand the value of USF to our community and I am going to do everything in my power to ensure these drastic cuts are removed. I believe that all of our public universities should be treated equally. I will continue to keep you updated on the progression of this important matter.

Thank you for taking the time to write to me and share your concerns. Please don’t hesitate to contact me with any further questions.

Sincerely,

Dana Young

Dana Young

State Representative, District 57

Florida House of Representatives

2909 West Bay to Bay Boulevard, Suite 202

Tampa, Florida 33629

(813) 835-2270 District Office

(850) 488-2770 Tallahassee Office

• Content Count:  2,019

I got one response from my Senator (Gaetz, who is on the Budget Comittee) for each email I sent. They were both the same cookie cutter response.

• Content Count:  791

Gaetz, who is next senate president, is on JD Alexander's side with current president Haridopolous--they are working against USF. If this stuff goes to senate floor with Norman's amendments Thurs. it will probably end in a vote similiar to the prison privatization vote...21-19!

• Content Count:  7,693

What we need to do is change gears and focus on why we are going to add a 12th State University when we can't even fund the 11 we currently have?

Based on the allocation of funds it appears that Florida can barely afford to pay for 7 State Universities, much less 11.

The budget committee needs to come up with a plan to cut some fat loose, and by fat I mean FGCU, New College, UNF, and UWF need to be cut loose and made into private colleges. If there is a need for these schools then they will do just fine without state funding. As I understand from a friend of mine that works for the SUS up in Tallahassee these 4 schools consume more revenue then they produce.

Archived