• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Under Attack from Politician

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Blatant politics is disgusting. A little subtlety could have gone a long way.

BTW, that cut-n-paste is unreadable. The carriage return is your friend! :D

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

I have heard that Satan, er, I mean JD Alexander plans to retire from politics forever after his term is over. I find it hard to believe that such a guy who loves to weild his power will stay out. If he runs again, the usually apolitical M9 will do what he can to defeat him.

• Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

I have heard that Satan, er, I mean JD Alexander plans to retire from politics forever after his term is over. I find it hard to believe that such a guy who loves to weild his power will stay out. If he runs again, the usually apolitical M9 will do what he can to defeat him.

I would believe that

Why do you think he's pushing this agenda so quickly

He knows he will get some backlash, but f sucessfull, he's set.

He will benefit from his family businesses surrounding the campus, and don't be surprised if he ends up in a position at Lakeland University :angry:

• Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

JD Alexander is already set for life as his position has made him a wealthy man.

This is all about him making USF Poly his monument.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Governor speaks. Hard to tell exactly what he intends on doing regarding USF, but it seems somewhat positive.

http://www.wtsp.com/news/article/238964/8/Gov-Scott-on-proposed-USF-cuts

• Content Count:  1,204
  • Days Won:  0

Governor speaks. Hard to tell exactly what he intends on doing regarding USF, but it seems somewhat positive.

http://www.wtsp.com/...oposed-USF-cuts

Seems like he said he'd veto any attempt to break away USF Poly and would probably do the same to anything that he felt unfairly targeted USF. He has line item veto powers, so he can take out things.

If the Governor will not sign off on JD Alexander's pet project then it's a moot point unless he can get 2/3 of each house to overturn the veto. That'd be nearly impossible for him to get. I bet you that the House fights for its version with much easier cuts and the Senate gives up a lot when they try to put the bills together. The Governor can play a huge role in this by using his veto threat to mold the legislation.

I think Alexander is finding that this was a bad fight to pick. If anything, it will set a lot of people against him and ruin any hope for a positive legacy. Sounds like some legislators are leaning towards cutting the most off of UF to encourage them to jack up their tuition.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Nah, Alexander has gotten exactly what he wanted. USF and others are now at least willing to discuss the possibility of an independent USF Poly.

That was his goal.

• Content Count:  1,204
  • Days Won:  0

Nah, Alexander has gotten exactly what he wanted. USF and others are now at least willing to discuss the possibility of an independent USF Poly.

That was his goal.

He already had that, but he wanted to push further and is trying to get it broken off now.

But the Governor has said he support the already established process laid out by the BoG. So I would guess he will eliminate any severing of USF Poly that comes to his desk via line item veto.

Alexander wanted it separated now. He's not getting it and that's why he's being vindictive. He knows if it doesn't happen while he's in office that new legislatures may be less enamored with the idea and it may never happen.

• Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

The message should be this: If you are having problems funding 11 state universities, why create a 12th?

• Content Count:  791
  • Days Won:  3

Quietly yesterday the state senate Higher Education committee, with UF president Machen and FSU president Barron in attendance, approved an amendment proposed by senator Evelyn Lynn to SB 1752 to create the "State Universities of Academic and Research Excellence and National Preeminance Act." It's an act which is supposed to "lift" the academic and research excellence of the highest performing state research universities. The act has 14 metrics for qualifying to be a highest performing university; of course the act is carefully worded so only FSU and UF qualify for the distinction with all sorts of bogus requirements. The 2 schools, if the proposed act becomes law, can jack up their tuitions higher than the now allowed 15% annual cap, and, the way I read the proposal--they could get special funding "lift" that other 9 Florida state universities won't get.

USF is getting jacked around all over the place by the legislature this year! While USF is in a gunfight now with the funding and Lakeland campus issues--other state universities are getting hugs and kisses from the legislature. Maybe the reason UF's Machen is so willing to help JD Alexander operate a new Lakeland university is because of gift packages like this proposed "Pre-eminent University" act that will get UF special treatment along with FSU only.

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20120216/ARTICLES/120219620?tc=cr&tc=ar

http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2012/1752/Amendment/276536/HTML

Archived