• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East Possible Agreement With WVU

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  820
  • Days Won:  0

If true, wouldn't that agreement set a precedent so that the b12 could just come back and take another school (Louisville) and know the 27 month rule could just be bought out?

If that school wants to pony up $25 mil. Realize that is double the buyout that A & M and Mizzou paid to get out of the Big 12. It is possible, but unlikely that other teams would want to pay that much just to get out earlier.

And we don't even know what the dollar figures are yet, but these would be record setting dollar amounts by far.

Actually it would probably be $25 mil + an extra $5 mil now = $30 mil, that the buyout initially is $10 million and then the ~$20 million in damages for the 27 months, now that Navy has joined the Big East.

If UL gets an invite after March Madness which any UL fan will tell you thats whats being discussed and told to recruits, I would have to say they need to cough up the $30 million (assuming WVU pays $25) to be in the Big 12 in 2013 along with another team apparently BYU (if they decide to change their stance on their TV deal). I am still not sure UL is 11th team now, though.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,501

Still would rather see WVU in the league one more season.

I would assume if you're $20-$25 million is correct most of that money goes to help Boise. I still wouldn't have agreed to that if I were Marinatto

From my understanding on Boise St their buyouts is ~$7 mil this year and $3 mil next year. Now if they made it to a BCS game this year their buyouts would have been $21 mil this year and $7 next year. When they lost to TCU this year during regular season, this appeared to help get them to BE sooner and cheaper.

(Conspiracy theory upcoming). Boise St did not get a BCS bowl invite to play Michigan after Houston lost in it's championship game, because of this and part of reason VT got 2nd ACC bid which was not deserved.

Don't know what you mean by buyout but Boise will lose their conference revenue share at about 2.2 million - ya - I know 800k is nothing to a team giving 25 mil but to me its alot. I again don't know were you come up with 7 million if they make a BCS bowl game but last news I saw was they get to keep that money.

If as you think it is about money yes - WVU may be gone but I still have heard nothing out of the BE and they have said NO amount of cash lets WVU go or Cuse or Pitt. Maybe if it were Obama money it would change but still waiting on BE and yes I still own this thread.

• Content Count:  4,501

Just another note : If WV leaves the BE next year they are proably going to have to play a nine game schedule so I am guessing the FSU game is out the window and that is like 500k cost to WV. I don't remeber if that is being considered in that 25 million number or even if we have talked about it. LORDY LORDY WVU must have some really deep pockets. I know USF could not even come close to those numbers.

Just another note : If WV leaves the BE next year they are proably going to have to play a nine game schedule so I am guessing the FSU game is out the window and that is like 500k cost to WV. I don't remeber if that is being considered in that 25 million number or even if we have talked about it. LORDY LORDY WVU must have some really deep pockets. I know USF could not even come close to those numbers.

More than likely this is correct, as I stated before, FSU looks like the are getting a 500k check to cancel. (This is not part of $25 m number to BE).

The Marshall & Maryland games are home games so they won't be bought out. It appears WVU will raise ticket prices 5-10% this year, and require more donations to acquire seating. Also WVU started selling beer at games again this year which netted ~$750k.

The JMU game has a payout of over $1M and a buyout over a $1M to the Redskins, so its not being bought out.

The additional TV revenue from the BIG 12 (extra over Big East contract) would return the $25M in about 3 years payback.

The buyout to BE ($25M) may be over 5 years as part of agreement (RUMOR), or partially funded by Big 12 from Mizzou's payment per Neinas interview (would need voted on), remember Big 12 needs 10 in 2012 to not renegetiate TV contract, therefore if Mizzou payments helps us get there Big 12 stays out of TV contract negotiations.

WVU has some deep pockets for athletics but this happened at a somewhat bad time, Huggins just hit up donors to pay for his Basketball Practice Facility that will be opening soon for the full amount of ~$26.5 million.

Still would rather see WVU in the league one more season.

I would assume if you're $20-$25 million is correct most of that money goes to help Boise. I still wouldn't have agreed to that if I were Marinatto

From my understanding on Boise St their buyouts is ~$7 mil this year and $3 mil next year. Now if they made it to a BCS game this year their buyouts would have been $21 mil this year and $7 next year. When they lost to TCU this year during regular season, this appeared to help get them to BE sooner and cheaper.

(Conspiracy theory upcoming). Boise St did not get a BCS bowl invite to play Michigan after Houston lost in it's championship game, because of this and part of reason VT got 2nd ACC bid which was not deserved.

Don't know what you mean by buyout but Boise will lose their conference revenue share at about 2.2 million - ya - I know 800k is nothing to a team giving 25 mil but to me its alot. I again don't know were you come up with 7 million if they make a BCS bowl game but last news I saw was they get to keep that money.

If as you think it is about money yes - WVU may be gone but I still have heard nothing out of the BE and they have said NO amount of cash lets WVU go or Cuse or Pitt. Maybe if it were Obama money it would change but still waiting on BE and yes I still own this thread.

When this started during the season, there were columns from Boise St writers in regards to this, but somehow if they had went to BCS game last season, I remember those buyout numbers being thrown around. The additional revenue to Boise St coming to Big East from MWC also gets them even in a 2-3 year cycle. That is why everyone is moving to get more money.

EDIT - ARTICLE

http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2011/10/20/bmurphy/boise_state_exit_fee_mountain_west_could_be_21_million

• Content Count:  150
  • Days Won:  1

renegetiate

I think you are going to renogiate your thinking if you believe big east is going to back off for 25 million.... i dont see BE signing off on any kind of settlement without big 12 giving an explicit garantee that they will not poach another big east team for xyz years... i'm guessing big 12 is refusing to do so... and thats the big hold up. The other possiblilty is that big east is too dumb to ask for such a garantee...

As you stated 25 million is about what WVU stands to gain in just 36 months of increased TV revenue in the big 12... effectively it costs WVU 9 months of big 12 revenue to move forward... big east will not give them that quite that easy.... it will be atleast a 27 month revenue penalty and a garantee from the big 12... I'd wager BE goes to arbitration and states the same, plus big east stands to lose a lot of money for one year of having WVU along with the new members... as it stands now, pitt and syracuse will be a part of the big east when we welcome our new members in 2013... them along with WVU for even one year give the big east a lot of leverage in negotiating their new tv contract

• Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

based on big east's history

i am sure they will drop the ball

There has been inklings of Louisville not being the 11th team, starting after the last BIG 12 meeting, when a major reporter reported that UL was a "lock" for 11. Did a gentlemens agreement happen between the two conferences, some believe there has been, for possibly 4-5 years.

Note : the two twitter posts above

1. Memphis comes from EERinsider a WVU connection (throw **** on wall something will stick)

2. Boise St tweets is coming from what appears Boise St insiders saying that Big East is pushing them to join in 2012, if the Big East doesn't need Bosie St in 2012, why is this happening and why would Big East want Boise St to pay $7mil to get here early, (/see link in post #265)

• Content Count:  150
  • Days Won:  1

There has been inklings of Louisville not being the 11th team, starting after the last BIG 12, when a major reporter reported that UL was a "lock" for 11. Did a gentlemens agreement happen between the two conferences, some believe there has been.

Note : the two twitter posts above

1. Memphis comes from EERinsider a WVU connection (throw **** on wall something will stick)

2. Boise St tweets is coming from what appears Boise St insiders saying that Big East is pushing them to join in 2012, if the Big East doesn't need Bosie St in 2012, why is this happening and why would Big East want Boise St to pay $7mil to get here early, (/see link in post #265)

To fill their schedules? what does boise joining early have to do with WVU's claims? if anything it disproves them as it shows the big east can get a team better then WVU in there for 2012... it strengthens their case in court...

WVU claims they had no choice but to leave because the big east did not fullfill its fiduciary duties to the football schools... adding Boise by 2012 shows that WVU simply didn't wait to see what the big east was doing.if anything the big east can say that the WVU is causing greater damage then Sry or Pitt, in that those founding members are not trying to leave immediately and are biding by their contractual agreements... its the timing that kills WVU in this contract dispute... that's kinda what happens when you listen to old Wayne Luck.

Your argument of a gentleman's agreement doesn't come into effect here... big east if acting in its best interest will demand something in writing. it comes down to is the big 12 willing to wait 3-5 years to poach another team to fulfill its contractual obligations? or is the big east going to jump at a settlement and be short sided... sadly this is where smazza is right.

at the end of the day i had a "gentlemans agreement" for a 5% raise at the end of last year... i didnt have it in writing... and i got the same 2% everyone else got... this is what happens with gentleman's agreements.

Archived