• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

John Lynch for AD

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

Butler is a great story .... as are the few other "Butler" stories out there ... but the big difference in them and us is that their main focus is/has been on basketball. I will totally agree that the ones to blame here are the decision makers in Athletics. Decisions, ie $$$, had to be made between football and basketball and it was a no brainer where it should have gone and where it did go. Obviously, it appears more is being funneled to basketball now and if you think the new "toys" are just lipstick on a pig, you're not as smart as I've given you credit for. They're the first piece of the puzzle, getting the players and winning on a consistent basis will be the second and fan support will be the third .... and that third piece is going to be a very interesting one.

We, as in you and I and a big bunch in which I wish could say was a lot more, agree we want a winning basketball program and it could be an exciting program for this university. I do agree with facility upgrade is nice and a good start, but I would hate to see an unfinished job and from what I have seen I am not confident the rest of the pieces will be put in order.

2nd piece of getting the players is on the coach and hate to bring Stevens up again but the most impressive thing he said in his interview about recruiting was when talking about UCONN's 592K in recruiting and Dukes 923K "Its not about that, its about can you find the people that fit in well, that are excited about playing for your school, that are willing to pay together that will put aside some individual glory for collective success, its not about how many accolades someone has gotten before getting to college, its about how good they can become once the get here" He shot that line off so quick and confident as if he was in a kids living room with his parents and if he was selling me Poop flavored popsicles, I was buying. I know this guy is an excpetion but he was found and the AD took a chance. He was paid peanuts until his recent extention which is reported 12 years and a mil a year. Great long term investment. It makes you realize its about x's and o's not really Jimmy and joes. Heath seems over his head, his players do not fit his system, they come from JUCOs and other programs, they are just looking for a place to play instead of choosing a place for the leader who will coach them. I liked Heath at first, I think hes a good guy but I do not see him winning here. I hope Im wrong.

3rd Piece is interesting but if you win they will come is the saying. We dont know that here because we never win. There is no competition in this town when it comes to hoops, no NBA team, no other major university. I think the fans would come. Its easy and on campus. I went to a higher % of bball games than football in my 4..ehhh 5 years at USF.

Really I just want to be shown some committment to winning and the facilities are the first step Im just not sold on the coach.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,686
  • Days Won:  424

I'm not sold on the coach, either, Herm, but I think he should get a chance to give it a shot with not almost everything stacked against him. I think this season and next gives him that time and lines up perfectly with his contract situation ... Pretty simple stance, really.

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

I like Tony Dungy He should be the AD or Head coach of the FB team. Great man, high standards, morals and a proven winner. He also has strong ties to Tampa and would bring instant credibility to our program

Yes, Dungy is a slam dunk. I vote for him! Git er done Pres Judy.

+1

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  6,780
  • Days Won:  3

"Even the Commodores football team, who've had a losing record every season for the last quarter-century, won five games last year and moved to 2-0 this season with a 24-17 upset over No. 24 South Carolina on Thursday night."
....a losing record for every season for the last quarter-century. Yeah, that seems like the sort of model we should embrace, and if we start now, we only have 24 more seasons to go before we're on par with prestigious Vanderbilt.

And I seriously doubt Reverend Dungy wants to dive into college football. His kid plays at Oregon and the only tie with USF is it's within reasonable driving distance.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,717
  • Days Won:  109

From out of left field...... Bring in Brad Culpepper to be the AD and head coach. Obviously a bright guy and has a football background. And if a team is about to kick a field goal as time expires he can run out there and slap them with a cease and desist order. :lol:

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

get someone in their late 30';s that has been associated with a winning athletic program that has seen it done

usf is a great job for the right person

What about LSU's, Bama's or UF's assistant AD?

The ones at NC? Ohio State?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  169

John Lynch?

Brad Culpepper?

Tony Dungy??

Mike Alstott?

sometimes I think people throw random thoughts at the wall just to see what sticks

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,717
  • Days Won:  109

John Lynch?

Brad Culpepper?

Tony Dungy??

Mike Alstott?

sometimes I think people throw random thoughts at the wall just to see what sticks

Or for laughs. If we don't laugh after this season we will cry.

Archived