• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

John Lynch for AD

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

Awesome post

Since Dickie V ONCE said in his million rants a second that USF is the toughest job in the country, its been Trips trump card for our underachieving in basketball ever since. Now this new "you cant squeeze blood out of a turnip" is just another enabling poor excuse for apologists to blame the mysterious ghosts and Gods and anyone other than the people who hold the jobs today responsible for the state of the athletic department.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Awesome post

Since Dickie V ONCE said in his million rants a second that USF is the toughest job in the country, its been Trips trump card for our underachieving in basketball ever since. Now this new "you cant squeeze blood out of a turnip" is just another enabling poor excuse for apologists to blame the mysterious ghosts and Gods and anyone other than the people who hold the jobs today responsible for the state of the athletic department.

LOL ... You boys need to take off your Green and Gold Goggles. What you think are excuses is, in reality .... reality. While you guys are bashing Woolard for not having gotten the funding to do these things sooner, or whatever the hell you're whining about, let's not forget who, until sadly, recently, was a key member of securing donations and has been for awhile. I'm thinking if the money was out there to do all these things sooner than you think it should have been, it's a good bet it would have been secured. Please feel free to point out where my thought process is wrong in this instead of using cop out terms like "enabling and "apologists" ...

• Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

It doesnt always take money man. There are schools out there like Richmond, VCU, Butler, Belmont, Murray State, Xavier, Utah St. etc. etc. etc. that do not have tons of money but find ways to win (at least once in a while) by making good hires. What puzzles me is the blatant neglect of marketing and caring about the well being of a top sport like college hoops.

its like having a management job and coming in everyday and playing solitaire but hoping your employees come through for you. Not going to happen and if there is no accountability you can do that forever and we all lose. Thats whats happening now IMO. Well maybe playing "angry birds" these days. I bet Heath and Woolard can afford I-phones on those salaries.

USF has not been to the dance since 1992. We have only been there twice in history and never won once. really no excuse besides neglect, not caring and ULTIMATE failure. The sun never shines on this dogs a**

It doesnt always take money man. There are schools out there like Richmond, VCU, Butler, Belmont, Murray State, Xavier, Utah St. etc. etc. etc. that do not have tons of money but find ways to win (at least once in a while) by making good hires. What puzzles me is the blatant neglect of marketing and caring about the well being of a top sport like college hoops.

its like having a management job and coming in everyday and playing solitaire but hoping your employees come through for you. Not going to happen and if there is no accountability you can do that forever and we all lose. Thats whats happening now IMO. Well maybe playing "angry birds" these days. I bet Heath and Woolard can afford I-phones on those salaries.

USF has not been to the dance since 1992. We have only been there twice in history and never won once. really no excuse besides neglect, not caring and ULTIMATE failure. The sun never shines on this dogs a**

It doesn't always take money?? At this level, you're kidding, right? ...... It's interesting that all those schools you listed don't have big time (save it) college football. I honestly think there's a correlation in that in the mid to late 90's the hoops started declining. The one thing you WERE right about was "no excuse besides neglect" ... but it was neglected for a reason. That's been slowly changing, culminating with the new toys on campus.

• Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

Trip, do me a favor at watch HBO sports this week on Brad Stevens at Butler. According to the board of education Butler spent $73,000 in recruiting this past year. I'd bet Heath and Co. spend more.

Guy has been to 2 back to back final fours. Would you consider that "this level"? It DOES NOT always take money...case and point.

It takes a winner, it takes someone with a vision and insight to see talent.

They give props to the AD of Butler because after Licklighter (sp?) left Butler for more money the AD interviewed lots of candidates. Stevens was an asst. and the AD saw something in him and made the right move. Opposite of what we do here.

Im glad we have new toys on campus but what the line you can put lipstick on a pig...you get it.

this program is just flat out ran undeniably awful. There is no excuse, no indian grounds, no one to blame but the AD and decision makers before.

Butler is a great story .... as are the few other "Butler" stories out there ... but the big difference in them and us is that their main focus is/has been on basketball. I will totally agree that the ones to blame here are the decision makers in Athletics. Decisions, ie $$$, had to be made between football and basketball and it was a no brainer where it should have gone and where it did go. Obviously, it appears more is being funneled to basketball now and if you think the new "toys" are just lipstick on a pig, you're not as smart as I've given you credit for. They're the first piece of the puzzle, getting the players and winning on a consistent basis will be the second and fan support will be the third .... and that third piece is going to be a very interesting one.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I have just as much AD experience as Lynch, ill work for cheaper, and I've been told that "Coach Bull Dozer" is a "GREAT NAME" so AD Bull Dozer would obviously be better. Sign me up!

• Content Count:  1,165
  • Days Won:  0

As long as we're being silly, how about Mike Alstott. He's still local and is doing a lot of charity work.

I heard form numerous people Mike Alstott is a jerk.

How about Trent Dilfer. Dude is charasmatic and watched by millions every week on ESPN. Obviously very well known in Tampa.

Ahh, Dilfer is definitely well known in Tampa. The question is if he's well liked in Tampa.

Playing for our team and never getting us to where we wanted to be, then leaving and winning the Super Bowl the next year--in our house--may cause some hate. :P:ph34r:

• Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

Exactly Blingstein and you're not the only one who sees it and has seen over the course of Dougy Fresh's tenure. Woolard want's all sports on the same level, all sports to pull from the same pool of funds, all sports to be marketed equally (for the most part). Success of the money making sports (football and basketball) is supposed to create a rising tide for all the non-revenue sports but Woolard doesn't get it and can't get it because he wants to run USF's athletic department the way he ran the St. Louis University programs. When donors donate and they want their money to go to a particular sport, sorry but Woolard says it goes in the pool (until just recently with a separate program for football demanded by CSH) to be proportionally distributed to all sports programs. There's never a rising tide caused by BBall and FB and that is why our only competitive and successful team is soccer. Just like St. Louis University......great!!

Anyone who is ecstatic about Doug Woolard should be on here espousing the great and wonderful things he does and has done to advance USF athletics on the national stage. Please don't bring up the recent upgrade to facilities since he didn't do those and any other AD would have had them done long ago. The major donor "friends of USF" and alumni were here whether Doug was or not. Frankly, I think that smaller donors and middle level donors would be much, much more abundant with another AD, because Woolard concentrates only on the larger donors.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

get someone in their late 30';s that has been associated with a winning athletic program that has seen it done

usf is a great job for the right person

Archived