• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Do we still have TEs?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

where did i say you can only use them over the middle? I'll say it again for you.... you TYPICALLY see tight ends used over the middle where there is space for them to sit in zones or spit a cover two with a skinny post right behind the linebackers....

Do you really want to use a tight end on the sidelines? Where do you see that? In the flats maybe but do you see TEs running sideline patterns?

Have you ever thought that our Tight Ends might not be matchup nightmares for opposing linebackers and safeties?

when you're 6'6" tall, rated the #12 TE in your class, received a scholarship from a top 10 football school, and your coach rushes to get a hardship waiver so you can play this year, I assume you're talented enough to catch more than 1 ball for 8 yards and i would think you would be a matchup nightmare for the majority of LBs, safeties and CBs that are 6' and under.if the offensive coaches can't get him into matchups that are to his advantage then that is on them. that is a huge part of an offense's goal is to create mismatches and exploit them.what a complete waste of a year.

BTW if you have seen shields in the limited # of attempts then you know he is good enough to be a problem for LBs. oh and BJ sure did throw a nice 40 yard pass to Davis down the middle to make a top 10 play on sportscenter.

Annnndddd he's a freshman... Maybe he doesn't practice better than the other TEs... But I'm sure you know more than the coaching staff...

Way to call out ONE play over the middle. I don't care about one deep play. What about a 10 yard pass over the middle. The deeper the WR gets the easier it becomes to see. It's not as if we NEVER throw over the middle.... We just don't do it NEARLY enough... For whatever reason. It can't be coaching because Fitch and skips offenses have thrown a lot more in the middle of the field... A lot less horizontal stuff.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

where did i say you can only use them over the middle? I'll say it again for you.... you TYPICALLY see tight ends used over the middle where there is space for them to sit in zones or spit a cover two with a skinny post right behind the linebackers....

Do you really want to use a tight end on the sidelines? Where do you see that? In the flats maybe but do you see TEs running sideline patterns?

Have you ever thought that our Tight Ends might not be matchup nightmares for opposing linebackers and safeties?

when you're 6'6" tall, rated the #12 TE in your class, received a scholarship from a top 10 football school, and your coach rushes to get a hardship waiver so you can play this year, I assume you're talented enough to catch more than 1 ball for 8 yards and i would think you would be a matchup nightmare for the majority of LBs, safeties and CBs that are 6' and under.if the offensive coaches can't get him into matchups that are to his advantage then that is on them. that is a huge part of an offense's goal is to create mismatches and exploit them.what a complete waste of a year.

BTW if you have seen shields in the limited # of attempts then you know he is good enough to be a problem for LBs. oh and BJ sure did throw a nice 40 yard pass to Davis down the middle to make a top 10 play on sportscenter.

Annnndddd he's a freshman... Maybe he doesn't practice better than the other TEs... But I'm sure you know more than the coaching staff...

Way to call out ONE play over the middle. I don't care about one deep play. What about a 10 yard pass over the middle. The deeper the WR gets the easier it becomes to see. It's not as if we NEVER throw over the middle.... We just don't do it NEARLY enough... For whatever reason. It can't be coaching because Fitch and skips offenses have thrown a lot more in the middle of the field... A lot less horizontal stuff.

why bother getting the hardship if he wasn't going to contribute? if he isn't practicing any better than the other TEs then why not play them?hell play shields.

of course it can't be coaching.....care to explain how you know they threw over the middle of the field at ECU or are you just assuming because they don't do it with Daniels.

He didn't have a TE catch more than 6 passes in his last 2 years there. if they are the ones to catch the ball over the middle like you suggest then that would point to the fact they don't throw over the middle.

did you know skip's prolific QB in his last year at ECU averaged 210 yards passing? 30 yards less per game than BJ. He also averaged 50 yards less rushing per game.

or that he had a 6.7 yards per attempt which is almost a full yard less than BJ is averaging this year?

that indicates they didn't throw down the field there either.

His QB also had 15 TDs and 12 picks so it's not like he had joe montana there. in fact his QB rating was 10+ points worse skip's last year than BJ's this year.

I'm so tired of people on here talking as if they know things for a fact. you are talking out of your ass

his QB at ECU was worse than Daniels and somehow he ran some intricate offense to win conference championships there but BJ is the reason he can't run his powerful offense here. sure whatever. you haven't a clue. BTW his QB there was the same size as Daniels. didn't run nearly as well and didn't have as good numbers passing.

Fact is defenses in c-usa were absolute trash so you could be a moron and score plenty there. he didn't have some superstar QB running his intricate unstoppable system that he just can't do with Daniels.

• Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

Soooooo we don't throw over the middle because of BJ being 6'????

Well why didn't our 6'5" QB do it? Oh and BTW that fade to McFarland was the saddest attempt of a fade EVER!!! That was underthrown by like 8 feet. It was almost intercepted but it was dropped. My son could've picked that off... and he's 10 months old.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Bull94,

Stop mucking this thread up with stats. :)

why bother getting the hardship if he wasn't going to contribute? if he isn't practicing any better than the other TEs then why not play them?hell play shields.

of course it can't be coaching.....care to explain how you know they threw over the middle of the field at ECU or are you just assuming because they don't do it with Daniels.

He didn't have a TE catch more than 6 passes in his last 2 years there. if they are the ones to catch the ball over the middle like you suggest then that would point to the fact they don't throw over the middle.

did you know skip's prolific QB in his last year at ECU averaged 210 yards passing? 30 yards less per game than BJ. He also averaged 50 yards less rushing per game.

or that he had a 6.7 yards per attempt which is almost a full yard less than BJ is averaging this year?

His QB also had 15 TDs and 12 picks so it's not like he had joe montana there. in fact his QB rating was 10+ points worse skip's last year than BJ's this year.

I'm so tired of people on here talking as if they know things for a fact. you are talking out of your ass

his QB at ECU was worse than Daniels and somehow he ran some intricate offense to win conference championships there but BJ is the reason he can't run his powerful offense here. sure whatever. you haven't a clue. BTW his QB there was the same size as Daniels. didn't run nearly as well and didn't have as good numbers passing.

Fact is defenses in c-usa were absolute trash so you could be a moron and score plenty there. he didn't have some superstar QB running his intricate unstoppable system that he just can't do with Daniels.

You get the hardship bc you really never know how a brand new guy is going to contribute to the team or dot the system... Pretty obvious why u get the hardship.

I know about the offense of ECU because I have watched mutiple skip holtz coached ECU games...

You keep side stepping what I'm saying and writing out some long drawn out statement that nobody cares about...

We can't throw over the middle...

BJ has the luxury of having BCS caliber teammates and games against FAMU UTEP and other trash. While programs like ECU play way above their head and hallenge the likes of VA tech and others.

You can say CUSA sucks... And it does.. But their players are a lesser quality than ours and other big east teams. Multiple awful comparisons.

In this argument stats are irrelevant unless you can show me a breakdown of throws over the middle, to the right, and to the left... You can throw a screen pass And it can go for 90. It's not hard to have a high completion percentage when you snap the ball and immediately throw it to the sidelines where the catches are uncontested. We run a ridiculously vanilla offense that makes it hard to make mistakes but also hard to score a ton of points.... I don't think Eveld is the answer either because he's not. He might be able to make a few more throws than BJ but he's inexperienced and is basically a tree back there.

BJs numbers are a complete fallacy. He is a great athlete and an incredible talent... But right now he is not a great QB. I hope he continues to develop and leads us to a BE title next year. Who knows of that will happen....

We need a QB that has a bit of mobility but is a better QB than runner.

and it may not even be a height issue... it could be the simple fact that the coaches do not trust him to make the throws i am referring too...

i understand you love BJ but you have to admit that we never exploit the middle of the field....

another reason stats are for losers (in college football, particularly with USF players due to our joke of a schedule):

BJ against garbage teams ( FAMU , UTEP , Ball State )

7 TDs, 1 INT

Passer rating: 165.6

Avg # of passing yards per game: 297.6 (without playing the entire games...)

BJ against Big East

4 TDs, 4 INT

Passer Rating: 112.26

Avg # ofvpassing yards per game: 242

including miami/notre dame

5 TDs, 5 INT

lower rating by ~1-2 points

again i dont think this matter but for comparison purposes:

Pinkney against conference

11 TDs, 6 INT

Passer Rating: 139.2

Well why didn't our 6'5" QB do it? Oh and BTW that fade to McFarland was the saddest attempt of a fade EVER!!! That was underthrown by like 8 feet. It was almost intercepted but it was dropped. My son could've picked that off... and he's 10 months old.

again, not calling for eveld... i think BJ is better... just stating an obvious flaw in our offense. There are only a few reasons it could be:

-Staff doesn't trust BJ to throw over the middle

-BJ doesn't want to or does not feel comfortable doing so

-Simply isn't in the playbook

You get the hardship bc you really never know how a brand new guy is going to contribute to the team or dot the system... Pretty obvious why u get the hardship.

I know about the offense of ECU because I have watched mutiple skip holtz coached ECU games...

You keep side stepping what I'm saying and writing out some long drawn out statement that nobody cares about...

We can't throw over the middle...

BJ has the luxury of having BCS caliber teammates and games against FAMU UTEP and other trash. While programs like ECU play way above their head and hallenge the likes of VA tech and others.

You can say CUSA sucks... And it does.. But their players are a lesser quality than ours and other big east teams. Multiple awful comparisons.

In this argument stats are irrelevant unless you can show me a breakdown of throws over the middle, to the right, and to the left... You can throw a screen pass And it can go for 90. It's not hard to have a high completion percentage when you snap the ball and immediately throw it to the sidelines where the catches are uncontested. We run a ridiculously vanilla offense that makes it hard to make mistakes but also hard to score a ton of points.... I don't think Eveld is the answer either because he's not. He might be able to make a few more throws than BJ but he's inexperienced and is basically a tree back there.

BJs numbers are a complete fallacy. He is a great athlete and an incredible talent... But right now he is not a great QB. I hope he continues to develop and leads us to a BE title next year. Who knows of that will happen....

We need a QB that has a bit of mobility but is a better QB than runner.

you list one of their conference opponents as our trash and you list one of our conference opponents as their tough games.

c-usa defenses are trash. many good offensive players have come from there including chris johnson(who played for holtz).

his offense in c-usa averaged less points and less yards. he is not an offensive guru waiting on his QB. if it were Leach and he proved to be a good offensive coach in the past then i would agree.but his offense wasn't any better in c-usa and his QB wasn't either.

you say we had 3 cupcakes(one of which was a c-usa team) but they only had 3 tough games. the rest of the schedule was cupcakes.

again, not calling for eveld... i think BJ is better... just stating an obvious flaw in our offense. There are only a few reasons it could be:

-Staff doesn't trust BJ to throw over the middle

-BJ doesn't want to or does not feel comfortable doing so

-Simply isn't in the playbook

exactly.

Archived