• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What kills me on the 4th and shorts....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,379
  • Days Won:  3

What kills me on all the 4th and shorts is why not pretend to go for it, try to get them to jump off sides and if not, call a time-out and punt away. Why not take a chance on drawing them offsides. In fact, the coach should have a signal to give to the QB if it is 4th and short to bring the team to the line no huddle/fast as possible and get the defense scrambling. Worst case scenario is we jump offsides ourselves or the defense calls a time out. Win-win. Best case scenario we get a first down, dont have to punt and the potential time out wasted is turned into essentially a turnover.

I just dont get the decision making to concede the down. I dont know that I agree with the others that say we should go for it at midfield, but why not threaten to go for it.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I wouldn't agree that wasting time outs in a 3 - 3 game is the best idea. Either go for it, or don't. I wouldn't throw away a time out.

On the other hand, I would also use those time outs to ensure we get the ball back with time on the clock. But that's another subject.

• Content Count:  7,379
  • Days Won:  3

I wouldn't agree that wasting time outs in a 3 - 3 game is the best idea. Either go for it, or don't. I wouldn't throw away a time out.

On the other hand, I would also use those time outs to ensure we get the ball back with time on the clock. But that's another subject.

Yeah, with 3 seconds to go we had 3 in our back pocket.

The idea is, that if they jump we get a first down, if they dont we burn a time-out. The first down means we keep the ball. In a 3-3 game I would rather our offense have the ball for the last 5 minutes.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Or you can try to fake it and take the 5 yard penalty before punting without wasting a time out.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Coaches were playing same game according to Golden

From canestime.com:

--Miami's 6-3 victory over USF was not the first time Hurricanes coach Al Golden has been involved in a game decided entirely by field goals. As a player in 1990, he was a member of the Penn State team that beat Alabama 9-0.

"I think it changed it dramatically," Golden said when asked how the low-scoring affair changed the dynamics of the game. "It starts with me and then it permeates down through the coordinators in terms of saying, 'OK, this looks like it is quickly becoming a field position game.' A couple of times I was tempted to go for it with fourth-less-than-a-couple of yards but I punted and was glad we did."

Golden said it appeared to him that his counterpart on the other sideline, USF coach Skip Holtz, felt the same way because Holtz elected not to go for fourth-down gambles as well in the second half.

http://miami.scout.com/2/1131375.html

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Or you can try to fake it and take the 5 yard penalty before punting without wasting a time out.

This ^^^^^

• Content Count:  511
  • Days Won:  1

Coaches were playing same game according to Golden

From canestime.com:

--Miami's 6-3 victory over USF was not the first time Hurricanes coach Al Golden has been involved in a game decided entirely by field goals. As a player in 1990, he was a member of the Penn State team that beat Alabama 9-0.

"I think it changed it dramatically," Golden said when asked how the low-scoring affair changed the dynamics of the game. "It starts with me and then it permeates down through the coordinators in terms of saying, 'OK, this looks like it is quickly becoming a field position game.' A couple of times I was tempted to go for it with fourth-less-than-a-couple of yards but I punted and was glad we did."

Golden said it appeared to him that his counterpart on the other sideline, USF coach Skip Holtz, felt the same way because Holtz elected not to go for fourth-down gambles as well in the second half.

http://miami.scout.com/2/1131375.html

I agree 100% with the decision making here. For those that wanted him to go for it, they don't understand the chess match that was going on Saturday. A botched 4th down attempt may have swung momentum in their way. Yes it could have swung it our way, but our defense was playing well. They kept stuffing us on short down and distance. This entire seasn is setting up great things for next year. Our team is learning how to deal with adversity, the hard way. I am ok with this season no matter how it turns out. They have not quit, why should we?

• Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

What kills me on all the 4th and shorts is why not pretend to go for it, try to get them to jump off sides and if not, call a time-out and punt away. Why not take a chance on drawing them offsides. In fact, the coach should have a signal to give to the QB if it is 4th and short to bring the team to the line no huddle/fast as possible and get the defense scrambling. Worst case scenario is we jump offsides ourselves or the defense calls a time out. Win-win. Best case scenario we get a first down, dont have to punt and the potential time out wasted is turned into essentially a turnover.

I just dont get the decision making to concede the down. I dont know that I agree with the others that say we should go for it at midfield, but why not threaten to go for it.

I agree that this strategy could have and should have been used in certain situations in the Miami game. Apparently, Coach Holtz decided to play it safe which didn't pan out for us.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Also,

We tried to play this game in "a phone booth" while Miami was attempting to stretch the field.

2 totally different philosophies

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Also, We tried to play this game in "a phone booth" while Miami was attempting to stretch the field. 2 totally different philosophies

Not according to the quotes from Al Golden.

Archived