• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Skip to UNC was making the airwaves this morning...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

Why exactly would Skip leave? Has family here in Florida, doesn't have family in NC. Doesn't have NCAA issues at USF, would certainly inherit them at UNC. In basketball's shadow? Absolutely. Easier path to BCS? Not really. Better money? Perhaps, but marginally. Relationship with AD is good, but doesn't override other factors. I understand why UNC might want Skip, just not as much the other way around.

While I agree with you Greg, most in the nation would not. I dislike UNC like poison but the fact of the matter is they have a name brand and USF does not.

UNC is a name brand in football? When have they ever won anything in football?

Great job, Greg. But you missed that Florida is a much more fertile recruiting ground than the Carolinas. :)

Perception is the key word, not reality. Most people know the baby blue blankie uniforms and think that the ACC is superior. Go ask someone from North Carolina, they will make sure to tell you how inferior you are.

Edited by Mission9

• Topic Count:  696
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

Not sure if he left if that wouldn't be a blessing in disguise. We are not necessarily blazing the field up right now. We have lost 4 winnable games this year.

To use his words, we are "maybe 4 or 5 plays" away from being 9 - 1 and top 10. How many plays like that will you tolerate. How many winnable games must we lose?

• Downvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,089
  • Days Won:  469

Apparently, if these reports are correct, North Carolina is "locking onto" not "looking into" which is how my mind originally processed the newsbreak for some reason.

That to me implies there may have been some discussion or at least a nod and a wink from Holtz. But it could just be a choice of words by a reporter. In this story, like others, there's a good chance the bloggers have it wrong.

• Topic Count:  217
  • Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

Apparently, if these reports are correct, North Carolina is "locking onto" not "looking into" which is how my mind originally processed the newsbreak for some reason.

That to me implies there may have been some discussion or at least a nod and a wink from Holtz. But it could just be a choice of words by a reporter. In this story, like others, there's a good chance the bloggers have it wrong.

Where is Brett McStache when you need him?

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

Check out the UNC message boards, their fans don't want Skip! Guess his name doesn't impress them.

Where is Brett McStache when you need him?

Maybe Holtz hugged someone too tightly in locker room?

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

In the same blog post, Greg cites that he really doesn't see any reason Holtz would be interested.

Perhaps if people would read the article instead of reading the headline they would have a better understanding.

Greg was just repeating. The Robinson guy used the term "locked into". I'm soothed knowing you're attempting to keep me straight, even if I feel like you are trying to put me down in the process.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Certainly my comment wasn't directed at you. It was just a general comment that happened to show up here.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

Why exactly would Skip leave? Has family here in Florida, doesn't have family in NC. Doesn't have NCAA issues at USF, would certainly inherit them at UNC. In basketball's shadow? Absolutely. Easier path to BCS? Not really. Better money? Perhaps, but marginally. Relationship with AD is good, but doesn't override other factors. I understand why UNC might want Skip, just not as much the other way around.

While I agree with you Greg, most in the nation would not. I dislike UNC like poison but the fact of the matter is they have a name brand and USF does not. There is a perception that UNC is superior even though USF has beaten them twice. There is a perception also that the ACC is superior to the Big East even though middle of the road to mediocre USF has won 6 of the last 7 vs. the mighty ACC. I bet all those going ga ga over Syracuse to the ACC have no clue that USF has beaten them 6 of 7 also. I have stayed away from comments regarding conference realignment because its hard for me to read comments from UNC, NC State, UVA or Maryland fans poking fun at the Big East and USF when we all know that the last few years USF has been better (while being a not so good Big East team).

It's ESPN who does starts all the Big East bashing. SO they will hype up a sotryline where CSH is heading to UNC despite the obvious reasons he would not bother with this move. They think they can pressure everyone and anyone to do their bidding. Sadly-- they often get their way and it's just ridiculous. "oh ESPN said it-- it must be TRUE!"Screw them and their manipulation of the sports world.

Skip is happy here. But he does need to produce. I hope he does-- I root for any USF coach to do well regardless. At this point, I would think he would be more worried about doing something here than working somewhere else.

The ONLY way I can see this happening is that he feels he is not getting what he needs here to make it work OR that he thinks he might be a year or two from blowing his image by staying. So if he jumps to UNC, he would keep his mojo going while getting a fresh start where the early expectations will be pretty low. Still seems like a big gamble to make and ultimately I see his family being the key factor to him sticking it out at USF.

• Upvote 1