• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USA Today tackles the ESPN conference realignment conspiracy theories

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

I don't think this is an anti-trust issue. ESPN has a contract with the Big East, and that contract likely includes a bunch of language about marketing and branding the Big East, etc. I think that is where the Big East is vulnerable, they were breaking their contract with the BE by conspiring to break it up and weaken it.

I really don't think this is much of a theory. The BC athletic director came out and said ESPN was involved. It wouldn't be too hard to use that as leverage to subpoena a bunch of people and put them on the stand. They won't all hold up under oath. There will be people that think what ESPN did was wrong. There will be some that won't lie if questioned directly.

It would be very interesting if the BE decides to sue ESPN, which isn't out of the question. If nothing else, the BE could open negotiations with other networks immediately under the grounds that ESPN violated the contract.

Now that is something I would love to see.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,204
  • Days Won:  0

I don't think this is an anti-trust issue. ESPN has a contract with the Big East, and that contract likely includes a bunch of language about marketing and branding the Big East, etc. I think that is where the Big East is vulnerable, they were breaking their contract with the BE by conspiring to break it up and weaken it.

I really don't think this is much of a theory. The BC athletic director came out and said ESPN was involved. It wouldn't be too hard to use that as leverage to subpoena a bunch of people and put them on the stand. They won't all hold up under oath. There will be people that think what ESPN did was wrong. There will be some that won't lie if questioned directly.

It would be very interesting if the BE decides to sue ESPN, which isn't out of the question. If nothing else, the BE could open negotiations with other networks immediately under the grounds that ESPN violated the contract.

It's civil, so you can file where you can get a jury trial and you won't have to convince all members of the jury of ESPN's malfeasance.

It's an anti-trust issue of the Feds say it is. I'm not counting on that happening, but all they have to do is file an anti-trust suit and ESPN/ABC would crumble in some way to avoid actually going to court over it. Microsoft did a deal to avoid prosecution.

Most likely outcome would be the conference suing them and getting a settlement then getting a larger TV deal from the competition.

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Doesn't really matter how anyone "thinks or interprets antitrust law, Any civil litigator worth his salt is gonna throw the kitchen sink into filing this kind of suit . Great language for the media is a key component of filing This is clearly going to be a public opinion type of suit. Law is always subject to interpretation, but if it looks like a duck......" And I am sorry ESPN, this thing has been quacking for quite a while now.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Ther are antitrust elements, a lot of business suits have them, but it's not an anti-trust case. There are better ways for the big east to seek a remedy

Joe works for ESPN, apparently.

Because I state the realistic side behind ESPN and a DOJ antitrust action I must be...yeah.

No, I'm all for suing their asses, but as unfortunate as it sounds, we need ESPN in some form, even as our tier two carrier...so I don't think it ever happens unless the conference collapses and no longer exists.

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

I saw this article. It is insane. ESPN / ABC needs to be called out on this one. Would love Congress to investigate and take some action on this. USF's fate is in the hands of conference realignment, which is driven by money, by guess who - ESPN. We may end up in a non BCS AQ conference due in large part to their influence.

I say saddle up the lawyers.

I saw this article. It is insane. ESPN / ABC needs to be called out on this one. Would love Congress to investigate and take some action on this. USF's fate is in the hands of conference realignment, which is driven by money, by guess who - ESPN. We may end up in a non BCS AQ conference due in large part to their influence.

I say saddle up the lawyers.

There is no doubt in my mind, they have. You have to have everything in a row before acting, for example enough teams to have a conference. Actual damages.

The Big East should and will act when necessary.

• Content Count:  12,465
  • Days Won:  25

Joe, you had me all the to the very last sentence! I question if the BE will "act when necessary." :D

• Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

Finding out that ESPN was behind this is the same as finding out that the sky is blue.

Archived