• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

We Should Not Let WVU Leave In 2012

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Rumor is that WVU is prepared to pay $20mil to get out early.

That's a chunk of cash. Generally speaking, all the exit fee dollars should be going to the remaining schools, not the incoming schools. Therefore, that would be 4MM per school. We should also make that contingent on not leaving the conference for a certain period of time, in addition to exit fees. We shouldn't let a school take those exit fees now, just to use them to pay their own exit fee next year.

Yep, although I selfishly would be ok if some of that goes to defray the increase to $10mil when we get invited to the ACC. :D

But seriously, the new schools coming in also need to be an entrance fee, I can't imagine they'd get any of the exit fee money. Therefore we should get some cashola out of this whole thing.

Well, I suppose we could use some of the money to draw one of the top schools, like Boise. If WVU really pays the $20mil, it'll be because B12 gave them a chunk of the Mizzou exit fee to get them in earlier. The B12 is desperate to have at least 10 teams for 2012 so as not to void their TV contract. It is worth a good amount of money to them to get WVU early. The ACC isn't in a big hurry.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  820
  • Days Won:  0

This is the stance WVU is taking

"We're walking away on July 1, 2012 with or without a settlement with you and you can't stop us. If no settlement, then sue us and we'll battle it out in court, but that doesn't mean we're not leaving."

As reported above Big 12 is going to help make sure we are there to take Mizzous place.

• Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

$4M per?

WVU, Pitt, and Cuse are (were) all-sports members. I'd assume the bball schools will grab their pound of flesh out of the exit fees...

Good point, I wasn't thinking about the other sports.

• Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

"We're walking away on July 1, 2012 with or without a settlement with you and you can't stop us. If no settlement, then sue us and we'll battle it out in court, but that doesn't mean we're not leaving."

As reported above Big 12 is going to help make sure we are there to take Mizzous place.

That's a lawsuit that WVU cannot and will not win. I hope for their own sake that this isn't really the tactic they take. If the BE folds between now and the 27 month mark, every school in the BE will be able to sue WVU for part of their lost future income.

• Content Count:  820

That's a lawsuit that WVU cannot and will not win. I hope for their own sake that this isn't really the tactic they take. If the BE folds between now and the 27 month mark, every school in the BE will be able to sue WVU for part of their lost future income.

Yes it can win, Pitt and Cuse was given a buyout figure, this sets a precendent. If a case happens the Pitt and Cuse AD will be summoned and/or subpoenaed if necessary, this is where the $20-25 mil figure has come from. Pitt suprisingly has been on WVU's side through all of this, and helping us now will help them later because I think them and Cuse is gone after next season with a smaller buyout. The Big East is putting out a good front, they know if they go to court after we leave, they will have a settlement. This is will be mediated prior to June 31, 2012, in my opinion.

Pitt and Cuse is saving the money but the ACC does not need them yet, because they are coming as a pair. The Big 12 needs us so we are leaving no matter what. As above I think ACC goes to 14 after next season.

The Big East needs us to stay for our calculations for AQ, why they are trying to fight like hell to keep us. The AQ is in question that is why Boise St is number on target once TCU left, and the reason TCU was invited.

The Basketball teams screwed up this league and now is trying like hell to say its alright, its not.

• Content Count:  2,461

This is already getting close to political intervention -- if WVU really starts a legal battle, it will invite attention from various gov't officials... That's not good for the establishment of college football as it is for the money-makers... Probably wouldn't be good for the Big East either.

Be that as it may, WVU will help stabilize the BE so we'll let them out early. Where was it reported we gave Pitt/SU a buyout figure? I haven't seen that anywhere.

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

I saw we burn this mutha f'er down!!

• Content Count:  1,204

And West Virginia will have an injunction filed against them if they try it. If they leave without settlement they will be in breach of contract and liable for much more, including damages incurred by the conference for them leaving so quickly.

The Big XII can't prevent a court order that forces WVU to stay until resolution. The only way they exit for next year is if the conference expands and secures an extension of its AQ status.

I would agree with the post above too. $40M at this point if they want to leave next year and paid all upon exit. They've already paid $2.5M to file to leave, but they are contractually bound for 27 months unless they can convince to conference to settle. If they can't then West Virginia goes nowhere.

Now, I think something will be worked out of the BE can get up to at least eight for next year and preferably more. Navy, Air Force, Boise State, and BYU could all conceivably enter for football next year. Houston, SMU, and UCF will be for 2013.

So we basically secure AQ status for a set time (I'd say through 2016 or 2018) and set a penalty of $20M for exit this year, $10M for exit the year after PLUS full forfeiture of all TV shares or bowl revenue shares from this season. That be a total cost of about $23M to WVU.

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

I think you are all crazy-

1 tooth exit fee.....

Like to see them bastards eat corn now!

Archived