• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Musa Abdul-Aleem, PG, JUCO

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Hmm Stan finally got a guard

TBO_USFBulls Adam Adkins

USF men's basketball coach Stan Heath has picked up commitment for 2012-13 from Musa Abdul-Aleem, 6-5 guard from Georgia Perimeter College.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,616
  • Days Won:  1

I actually find out last night thanks to inside info and his impression from the fans at the FAMU game definitely helped!

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Alright, his recruiter took him on a tour of all the Temple Terrace hookah lounges and coffee houses!  ;D

• Content Count:  228
  • Days Won:  0

How old is Abdul-Aleem if he attended Tampa King in 2004? Geez

Would rather recruit more High School players than constant JUCO and transfers from other schools.

• Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

How old is Abdul-Aleem if he attended Tampa King in 2004? Geez

Would rather recruit more High School players than constant JUCO and transfers from other schools.

I won't complain. The guy chose us over Memphis.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

SEPTEMBER 23, 2011

Heath lands 2012 junior college guard Abdul-Aleem

USF men's basketball coach Stan Heath has picked up his first commitment toward the Class of 2012, getting a pledge Thursday night from Musa Abdul-Aleem, a 6-foot-5 shooting guard from Georgia Perimeter College.

"He's an exceptional shooter, plays extremely hard, inside and out," said David Dennis, GPC's associate head coach. "He's one of the better scorers you'll see. Not only can he score, he's a shooter as well, a rare combination. You may have guys that shoot the ball well, or score with the ball. He does both very well. Excellent mid-range game. He can post up, put it on the floor and get by guys on the bounce. He's as complete as you want to be as an offensive player.

Abdul-Aleem, who played at Tampa's King High School in 2003-04, was the Georgia Junior College Athletic Association's Freshman Player of the Year last season, averaging 13.9 points per game, and Dennis said he chose the Bulls over recruitment from Memphis, Georgetown, Oklahoma, Nebraska and Rhode Island. USF had strong ties to Dennis, who played high school basketball against Heath in Detroit and sent one of his players, Jay Brown, to Bulls assistant Steve Roccaforte when he was head coach at Lamar.

"Coach Heath and his staff did an excellent job recruiting Musa -- they just did things the right way," said Dennis, who also has Musa's twin brother, Muhammad, on the GPC roster. "They did things how they should be done, first class. The visit (last weekend) was excellent. They did a wonderful job."

Salim Shakir, who coached Abdul-Aleem in 2008-09 when he was a senior at Atlanta's W.D. Mohammed High School, said he is as impressive off the court as he is on it.

"He has outstanding character, and is an all-around player," said Shakir, who said Abdul-Aleem averaged about 30 points per game as a senior, playing primarily at small forward while his twin brother Muhammad was the team's point guard. "He's a big, strong player, runs the floor well."

Abdul-Aleem had stops at at least three schools in Florida before coming to Atlanta -- here's a reference to him in the Times at Tampa King in 2004, and according to the Orlando Sentinel, he and his brother then spent a year at Orlando's West Oaks Academy before enrolling at Brevard Christian Academy.

Shooting guard is the first position Heath has addressed with the 2012 class -- the Bulls will lose a likely starter in senior Hugh Robertson after this season, and USF will also have Martino Brock, who is sittting out this season after transferring from South Alabama.

Posted by Greg Auman at 3:28:53 pm on September 23, 2011

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/heath-lands-2012-junior-college-guard-abdul-aleem

• Content Count:  42
  • Days Won:  0

I was coaching high school in Tampa when he was a freshman at King, and the kid and family could not of been more shady.  The father was trying to send his two sons to any school that he could and offered his sons to every program in the county.  The boys had talent, but the father (similiar to woody) feels like he was a coach and told the kids to listen to him.  I really hope things have changed for them, but if bulls fans think that he is a savior, I HAVE BAD NEWS

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,640
  • Days Won:  424

I was coaching high school in Tampa when he was a freshman at King, and the kid and family could not of been more shady.  The father was trying to send his two sons to any school that he could and offered his sons to every program in the county.  The boys had talent, but the father (similiar to woody) feels like he was a coach and told the kids to listen to him.  I really hope things have changed for them, but if bulls fans think that he is a savior, I HAVE BAD NEWS

I don't see anybody proclaiming him a savior ... I think most Bulls fan realize the program needs more than a JUCO transfer to do any saving.

• 4 months later...

• Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

This is a story that I forgot to post last month, but it's still news worthy for the fact that Aleem will have 3 years of eligibility instead of 2 because he is having to red shirt with a leg injury.

The GPC Men’s Basketball team is off to a hot start. Already two-thirds of the way through their regular season, the Jaguars seem to have found their rhythm.

As of press time they are 18-4 overall and boast a 9-1 record in Georgia Collegiate Athletic Association conference play.

The Jaguars are also coming off a 16 game win streak dating back to November of last year which included multiple last second heroics as well as 40 point blow outs. Their 9-1 record in conference play puts them atop the conference standings and in prime position as the postseason quickly approaches.

Not bad considering the team is doing all of this without one of its most talented players.

Reigning GCAA Freshman of the Year Musa Abdul-Aleem is redshirting this season due to a stress fracture in his left foot. He cannot play in games, participate in practice, or travel with the team on the road. Not being able to compete with his teammates during games and practice has been the toughest part of the injury, “It hurts just to watch them play, you just want to get on [the court],†said Abdul-Aleem.

Even though it’s tough to watch from the stands he comes to every home game and takes his usual uncomfortable seat a few rows behind the GPC bench and wrenches through the game knowing that no matter how much he wants to he can’t help his brothers on the hardwood.

The future does look very promising for the 23-year-old Abdul-Aleem. The 6-foot-5 guard/forward averaged 14 points and 5 rebounds a game last season for GPC, which caught the eye of several major college basketball programs.

After official visits to a number of schools, Abdul-Aleem chose the University of South Florida over the University of Memphis. Abdul-Aleem sited USF’s proximity to family and the opportunity to play in the Big East Conference as reasons for choosing USF. Sitting out this season was another tough decision to make, but it does mean Abdul-Aleem will have three years of eligibility at USF whereas most junior college transfers have only two.

“It’s obviously a better move for me to have three years at South Florida and to get healthy. I’m not in a rush, I’m not pressured to get healthy, I’m pressured to perform at a level people expect me to perform at,†said Abdul-Aleem about his choice to redshirt.

Abdul-Aleem will be enrolling at the University of South Florida in the fall of 2012.

Although his playing time at GPC was shorter than he hoped it would be, Abdul-Aleem has enjoyed his time on campus, “I love this program. They did a lot for me and my family.†It should come as no surprise to anyone that knows Abdul-Aleem that he considers his father, Rashad Abdul-Aleem, his “trainer, coach, and friend.â€

Recruiting expert Brad Winton of SLAM (a well respected online basketball site) expects Abdul-Aleem to compete for a starting spot immediately, “Abdul-Aleem is a physical, left-handed wing who bullies his way to the rim and has range that extends beyond the three. Abdul-Aleem was one of the best perimeter defenders that I saw this summer. He is very vocal on the court and plays with a passion for the game,†said Winton.

Abdul-Aleem plans to major in sports management or sports therapy and hopes to make a living in either the NBA or overseas playing basketball.

http://www.collegian...e-bull-watches/

• Content Count:  1,055
  • Days Won:  2

So why did this young man not start colege until he was 22yrs old. He seems to have much game was this a later in life decision where he decided to use his basketball skills to feed a family after not going to college immediately after high school? s any info out there on him out of high school? He really seems like he may bring the toughness to the South Florida program that i felt we were lacking in previous years.

Archived