• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF/Big East Realignment Discussion Thread

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  554
  • Days Won:  0

I wonder how WVU feels about losing their rival Pitt??  Maybe WVU tries to get in the ACC as well

Good call, but wouldn't we have heard their name mentioned?  The source leaked Pitt and Cuse's names to the media, you'd think they would have mentioned that WVU was one of the 10 teams that applied if they had. 

Others have mentioned this, but academics are a big part of this equation.  Unfortunately, WVU (and USF) aren't in the mix for the ACC and the SEC.  A Big 12 - BE merger might be the only chance to maintain AQ status. 

Unless we really pull something out of our ass on the field this year.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  12,293

although i dont think we have a shot at the SEC or ACC either.....BUT.....

why do academics matter?  I mean- i know these conferences say they do but who really cares?  We are talking about athletic sports conferences not academic debate teams.  Unless your name is IVY LEAGUE do they really think having a school join their conference that isn't top 50 rated that it is going to some how poision everything?

• Content Count:  1,204

We have no chance at the SEC. Our only hope is for a Big East/Big 12 merger.

I don't buy that for a second.  A move to four 16 team superconferences leaves two teams out of the current system (12+10+12+12+12+8), so I doubt that is our only hope. 

I also don't buy that we have no chance at the SEC.  I also can see a Big XII and Big East remnant merger, though not sure what will happen to the basketball side. 

Texas isn't keen on joining the PAC-12.  The ACC may not want them because they don't exactly fit the Atlantic Coast paradigm. 

So let's say WVU scoots to the SEC with Pitt and Syracuse going ACC.  Not sure if the Big Ten will want to do anything.  We know they'll want AAU schools, so Rutgers meets that and all other Big East schools do not.  Mizzou, KU, and Iowa State meet the criteria from the Big XII (as does Texas, but I doubt they join).  I'm not sure the Big Ten would see a reason to add two of those.  KU would come with K-State.  Iowa State is weak athletically.  Mizzou wouldn't be a bad add, but Rutgers would be a purely geographical add and Penn State actually gets them into Jersey and NYC.  I think they had contemplated taking Rutgers before to get Pitt.

So let's say that Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, Mizzou, K-State, Iowa State, and KU are all left.  The TCU, USF, Louisville, Cincy, Rutgers, and UConn are left from the Big East.  A merger would make a lot of sense.  They could even add one more to get up to 14.

Or the ACC will be pre-emptive and be the first to go 16.  Or FSU will bail and they'll want another Florida team, especially with Miami probably looking at several years of scholarship restrictions and bowl bans.

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

why do academics matter?  I mean- i know these conferences say they do but who really cares?  We are talking about athletic sports conferences not academic debate teams.  Unless your name is IVY LEAGUE do they really think having a school join their conference that isn't top 50 rated that it is going to some how poision everything?

I agree... I do think we have a shot at the SEC because the SEC will only add Southern teams... the ACC has doubled the exit buyout so that si that, not ACC teams will be leaving for the SEC... the SEC right now is in a very tough spot and they will need at least 1 more team, and 2 others to reach 16.

the options for the SEC are...

- Mizzou

- WV

- USF

- Louisville

That is it in the south... we have a 1 in 4 shot at going to the SEC right now.

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

There are currently 67 AQ teams if you count ND(logical) but which still won't give up TV rights to join a conference. So their are 66 teams vying for 64 spots if you use the 4 X 16 model. I think 5 conference survive which would mean 80 slots with only the current 66 dedicated. Either way, USF would be virtually guaranteed a spot. I mean, there are the Vandy's, WF's , BC's IN's and Baylors who are in much deeper doo-doo than we ever would be. And that just scratches the surface of the dregs in current AQ conferences. The idea that we will get left behind is ludicrous. I personally don't care if the BE goes the way of the dinosaurs. They like the B12 gave preferential treatment to select members(UT and ND). They should, most probably, be disbanded because the conference doesn't properly serve it's members. No matter, we will come out fine. But it is fun to speculate. Kind of like, who is that great looking chick at the dance gonna go home with.....

THE SKY IS NOT FALLING.

• Content Count:  4,451

I agree... I do think we have a shot at the SEC because the SEC will only add Southern teams... the ACC has doubled the exit buyout so that si that, not ACC teams will be leaving for the SEC... the SEC right now is in a very tough spot and they will need at least 1 more team, and 2 others to reach 16.

the options for the SEC are...

- Mizzou

- WV

- USF

- Louisville

That is it in the south... we have a 1 in 4 shot at going to the SEC right now.

All other things aside including the Tejas channel, UTX is the best fit for the SEC's 14th.  PAC12 is not a good geo fit for TX at all.  If the SEC could pull that off then maybe two nice east SEC teams would be USF and UL.  I do like the BE FB teams joining the remainder of the Big 12.  Football becomes "the sport" for the conference and satisfying the basketball members is not a factor any more.

• Content Count:  5,241

I think Big 12 implodes, Big East adds KU, K State, maybe even Mizzou and Baylor. Now, does Big East also add UCF or FIU??? I think FSU and Florida will block us from SEC and ACC.

• Content Count:  4,451

I think Big 12 implodes, Big East adds KU, K State, maybe even Mizzou and Baylor. Now, does Big East also add UCF or FIU??? I think FSU and Florida will block us from SEC and ACC.

Easier for BE football to implode.  BE Catholic schools will go on with thier BB conference as the BE.

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

the Board of Governors would go apeshit if they blocked us. They are public inst. as are we.  Like Notre Dame, they answer to a higher authority.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

SEPTEMBER 17, 2011

Woolard: USF 'actively engaged' in conference talks

Shortly before kickoff of Saturday's USF home game against Florida A&M, USF released a two-paragraph statement from President Judy Genshaft and athletic director Doug Woolard about Saturday's news that Pittsburgh and Syracuse have applied to leave the Big East for the ACC.

"Obviously, we are aware of information reported by the media regarding some members of the Big East conference, as well as other national news related to conference alignment. This is certainly a time of tremendous change in intercollegiate athletics and, clearly, that change may continue.

"We have been monitoring the landscape and have been actively engaged in dialogue at the conference and national levels over the last 18 months. That will continue in earnest as we move forward."

Posted by Greg Auman at 6:56:47 pm on September 17, 2011

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/woolard-usf-actively-engaged-conference-talks#comments

Archived