• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF/Big East Realignment Discussion Thread

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

JESUS what is with everyone and negativity. I bet we end up in the BIG 12. You cannot ignore the Tampa market.

Local Television Market Universe Estimates Estimates as of January 1, 2011 and used throughout the 2010-2011 television season Estimates are effective September 25, 2010

Rank Designated Market Area (DMA)

1 New York

2 Los Angeles

3 Chicago

4 Philadelphia

5 Dallas-Ft. W orth

6 San Francisco-Oak-San Jose

7 Boston (Manchester)

8 Atlanta

9 W ashington, DC (Hagrstwn)

10 Houston 11 Detroit

12 Phoenix (Prescott)

13 Seattle-Tacoma

14 Tampa-St. Pete (Sarasota)

15 Minneapolis-St. Paul

16 Miami-Ft. Lauderdale

17 Denver

18 Cleveland-Akron (Canton)

19 Orlando-Daytona Bch-Melbrn

20 Sacramnto-Stkton-Modesto

21 St. Louis

22 Portland, OR

23 Charlotte

24 Pittsburgh

25 Raleigh-Durham (Fayetvlle)

People in St. Pete don't care about football (because their old) the same way people in Daytona don't care about UCF (because UCF sucks). TV Markets are close and UCF has a higher student enrollment (one of USF's claims to fame).

What is the difference between USF and UCF? Besides 3 close games, 1 blowout, a few more marquee wins against traditional powers, and being in a BCS Conference. Just the possibility of USF being left behind in this mess, actually is humbling for me and makes me feel bad for schools like Boise State and even UCF. Not UCF fans though.. seriously **** those guys.

I guess you don't understand the allure of big media markets for conferences.  It is not because of how many people in Tampa Bay tune into watch USF or how many people in Orlando tune in to watch UCF. It is how many total TV viewers are there in the market and what the local affiliates will pick up (notice how we almost always have a Big East game on the local ABC or ESPN chooses to show a Big East game in the Tampa market when they have regional games)

As for you asking the difference between us and UCF-  those wins against traditional powers are HUGE and something UCiF has maybe done once when they beat Georgia.  Look at UCiF's record against BCS conference teams.  Look how long they have been playing football.  Look at a lot of things. 

Conferences could careless about the fact we are 4-0 against them in h2h.  USF has more brand recognition among football fans because of our past rankings, past big time wins against Auburn, FSU, Miami, ND, etc.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,470

JESUS what is with everyone and negativity. I bet we end up in the BIG 12. You cannot ignore the Tampa market.

Local Television Market Universe Estimates Estimates as of January 1, 2011 and used throughout the 2010-2011 television season Estimates are effective September 25, 2010

1 New York

2 Los Angeles

3 Chicago

4 Philadelphia

5 Dallas-Ft. W orth

7 Boston (Manchester)

8 Atlanta

10 Houston 11 Detroit

12 Phoenix (Prescott)

13 Seattle-Tacoma

15 Minneapolis-St. Paul

16 Miami-Ft. Lauderdale

17 Denver

21 St. Louis

22 Portland, OR

23 Charlotte

24 Pittsburgh

People in St. Pete don't care about football (because their old) the same way people in Daytona don't care about UCF (because UCF sucks). TV Markets are close and UCF has a higher student enrollment (one of USF's claims to fame).

What is the difference between USF and UCF? Besides 3 close games, 1 blowout, a few more marquee wins against traditional powers, and being in a BCS Conference. Just the possibility of USF being left behind in this mess, actually is humbling for me and makes me feel bad for schools like Boise State and even UCF. Not UCF fans though.. seriously **** those guys.

I guess you don't understand the allure of big media markets for conferences.  It is not because of how many people in Tampa Bay tune into watch USF or how many people in Orlando tune in to watch UCF. It is how many total TV viewers are there in the market and what the local affiliates will pick up (notice how we almost always have a Big East game on the local ABC or ESPN chooses to show a Big East game in the Tampa market when they have regional games)

As for you asking the difference between us and UCF-  those wins against traditional powers are HUGE and something UCiF has maybe done once when they beat Georgia.  Look at UCiF's record against BCS conference teams.  Look how long they have been playing football.  Look at a lot of things. 

Conferences could careless about the fact we are 4-0 against them in h2h.  USF has more brand recognition among football fans because of our past rankings, past big time wins against Auburn, FSU, Miami, ND, etc.

I live in Texas now and most people confuse USF/UCF/FIU/FAU all the time. I think your overestimating our brand name. I'm glad we beat ND.

• Content Count:  12,293

most people yes- but auburn fans surely know USF

ND fans surely know USF

Fans of programs like Alabama or Auburn's other SEC rivals know us

Casual fans nationwide get USF, UCF confused but not after seeing the logo that is just hearing the name.

• Content Count:  15

People in St. Pete don't care about football (because their old) the same way people in Daytona don't care about UCF (because UCF *****). TV Markets are close and UCF has a higher student enrollment (one of USF's claims to fame).

The median age of St. Petersburg residents is lower than the median age for the entirety of the Tampa Bay area.  Also, considering that St. Petersburg has a larger population than Orlando does, your comparison to Daytona is quite comical.  Daytona doesn't care about UCF because UCF "*****"?  So Orlando has a higher tolerance of "*****" than does Daytona?  Interesting...

most people yes- but auburn fans surely know USF

ND fans surely know USF

Fans of programs like Alabama or Auburn's other SEC rivals know us

Casual fans nationwide get USF, UCF confused but not after seeing the logo that is just hearing the name.

I work with an Auburn fan, he's the one person i've met here that knows who USF is. He also said he was at that game, as was I.

I grew up in the Daytona Beach area. Not even I knew USF had a football team until 2005 when I decided to go to school there. I still go back home to visit (New Smyrna Beach/Daytona) and people don't know who USF is. We are a young program, we don't have history to fall back on. SMU used to be a power, until the death penalty and they didn't get picked up by one of the big conferences. I'm afraid our 'death penalty' is the Big East dissolving.

• Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

You forgot WVU.

East:

USF

WVU

UCONN

Rutgirls

Cincy

Louisville

West:

Mizzou

TCU

Kansas

Kansas State

Baylor

Iowa State

This would actually be better than the ACC was at 12 teams I think. Would still be an elite basketball conference. We could have the football championship in Tampa, and basketball championship in Chicago.

We could still call it the BIG EAST because all the teams are east of Texas. I like how the Mississippi River would divide the divisions. Imagine if the oklahoma schools stayed on board too.

This isn't the worst thing that could happen. It would be a better football conference than the current configuration,and one we could be on top of perennially.

People in St. Pete don't care about football (because their old) the same way people in Daytona don't care about UCF (because UCF *****). TV Markets are close and UCF has a higher student enrollment (one of USF's claims to fame).

The median age of St. Petersburg residents is lower than the median age for the entirety of the Tampa Bay area.  Also, considering that St. Petersburg has a larger population than Orlando does, your comparison to Daytona is quite comical.  Daytona doesn't care about UCF because UCF "*****"?  So Orlando has a higher tolerance of "*****" than does Daytona?  Interesting...

Woah take it easy. Ever heard of hyperbole? I stand by the Daytona statement. I grew up there and there are UF/FSU/Miami fans, that's all I meant by that statement. Both Daytona and St. Pete are nearby cities to their respective college (USF/UCF)

PS Median age doesn't mean anything when you have people over 80 and children under 10 thrown into the mix. I wonder which age group watches football?

• Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

1 New York

2 Los Angeles

3 Chicago

4 Philadelphia

5 Dallas-Ft. W orth

7 Boston (Manchester)

8 Atlanta

10 Houston 11 Detroit

12 Phoenix (Prescott)

13 Seattle-Tacoma

15 Minneapolis-St. Paul

16 Miami-Ft. Lauderdale

17 Denver

21 St. Louis

22 Portland, OR

23 Charlotte

24 Pittsburgh

I live in Texas now and most people confuse USF/UCF/FIU/FAU all the time. I think your overestimating our brand name. I'm glad we beat ND.

I just moved to the moddle of now where in Idaho (e hours east of Boise) and a good majority of people here know who USF is and don't confuse us with Mickey U

• Content Count:  138

This is most pressing event facing USF ever. Think it should be on main board.

Maybe a little more important than USF-themed beer pong tables, no?

• Content Count:  3,407
  • Days Won:  1

East - West Super conference

You forgot WVU.

East:

USF

WVU

UCONN

Rutgirls

Cincy

Louisville

West:

Mizzou

TCU

Kansas

Kansas State

Baylor

Iowa State

I think you could add UCF and ECU in the east... And then pick up Smu and Houston...  There's 16...

Archived