• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

This is Like Christmas UM & UA struck down

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

The dilemma is that most/many of the perpetrators are no longer at the school. How do you punish a guy playing in the pros?  And do you punish L'ville by banning the guy there?  Not nearly as easy as you make it out to be.  If it were simple I'd be running the NCAA.  You do have to sympathize with the current players and Golden.

Normally Rickey I'd agree with you... but for this particular case I don't. There are still 12 students on that team that face violations that Yahoo has verified. Outside of Al Golden and the freshman class of 2011-2012 I don't think anyone has clean hands on this one. I can't believe that with that many team mates getting benefits that the other team mates didn't know about it.

Miami won't get the Death Penalty... but it should be as close as possible.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  21,365
  • Days Won:  10

The dilemma is that most/many of the perpetrators are no longer at the school. How do you punish a guy playing in the pros?  And do you punish L'ville by banning the guy there?  Not nearly as easy as you make it out to be.  If it were simple I'd be running the NCAA.  You do have to sympathize with the current players and Golden.

Normally Rickey I'd agree with you... but for this particular case I don't. There are still 12 students on that team that face violations that Yahoo has verified. Outside of Al Golden and the freshman class of 2011-2012 I don't think anyone has clean hands on this one. I can't believe that with that many team mates getting benefits that the other team mates didn't know about it.

Oh, they knew.  The stories were told by the team mates.  You can't keep that a secret. 

• Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

I knew it was only a matter of time before this story went from the sports media to the main stream and in the last two days I have seen reports on both Fox and CNN. This really couldn't be any worse for UM. CNN had clips of comments from recruits and also outlined all of the major accusations along with comments from current NFL players and a reporter live on the UM campus.

Also showed Golden commenting at a news conference today but I couldn't really catch much of what was said since I'm was watching it on a television at the airport.

I agree with the comments that it's only fair to punish the involved parties and I think players and staff involved should all be suspended or fired for their participation and I feel some sympathy for Golden. It's really not fair that he may have to deal with loss of scholarships as a brand new head coach for something he had no involvement in.

Mentioned earlier, there is no way that the other players that weren't involved didn't know. I mean, with the scale of some the accusations if they have any truth at all there is no way the topic or incriminating comments didn't occur at practices or in the locker rooms. Other players must have over heard some of the things going on even if they weren't directly involved.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,722
  • Days Won:  109

I'm not saying not to punish those players still at UM.  But it seems it is difficult to punish those in the pros (although it looks like Pryor is being suspended 5 games by the NFL for not fessing up to the stuff while at Ohio State).  Maybe the NFL CAN do something about it after the fact after all. 

I'm not disagreeing with punishing those that committed the violations, but the Institution that allowed this stuff to go on must be punished as well.  For example, let's say this came out 4 years from now and Golden had an unblemished record.  All the players and coaches are gone.  I believe the AD and Pres must go and school still gets a 5 year bowl ban plus loss of schollies.

• Content Count:  1,517
  • Days Won:  1

Current players involved need to be punished, either at school or different school. (Suspensions, booted out of school/NCAA schools)

Coaches/school faultily  past/present need to be punished. (Fired from job, NCAA coach ban for X amount of years)

The School needs to be punished. (Scholly reducts, post season ban, fines, TV blackouts-forfeiting past seasons is a load of ****)

Past players will prob not be touched. There is not way to touch them. MAYBE going forward NFL could get involved.

These things need to happen in ANY NCAA infraction case, not just UM.

It might not be fair to the players/coaches NOT involved but an example needs to be set. Make it so others will see what happen and take preventative measures that they won't go through the same thing.

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Current players involved need to be punished, either at school or different school. (Suspensions, booted out of school/NCAA schools)

Coaches/school faultily  past/present need to be punished. (Fired from job, NCAA coach ban for X amount of years)

The School needs to be punished. (Scholly reducts, post season ban, fines, TV blackouts-forfeiting past seasons is a load of ****)

I agree with all of this, other than the forfeiting past seasons.  If you have players that are ineligible, it doesn't make sense that the records and game outcomes stand in spite of players that were playing when they shouldn't have been. 

Past players will prob not be touched. There is not way to touch them. MAYBE going forward NFL could get involved.

I can see all kinds of legal issues being raised if this were to happen.  Think we have a mess now? 

• Content Count:  1,027
  • Days Won:  0

I agree with all of this, other than the forfeiting past seasons.  If you have players that are ineligible, it doesn't make sense that the records and game outcomes stand in spite of players that were playing when they shouldn't have been. 

I can see all kinds of legal issues being raised if this were to happen.  Think we have a mess now? 

You can fit a lot of stuff into "conduct detrimental to the league."

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

You can fit a lot of stuff into "conduct detrimental to the league."

Exactly, and that's why there would be a mess.  Too open to interpretation.  It would take a court ruling to decide the final outcome. 

• Content Count:  1,517
  • Days Won:  1

I really meant JUST forfeiting past seasons is a load of crap. Like OSU thing...forfeiting just last season is not really doing anything. Need bigger sanctions.

• Content Count:  502
  • Days Won:  0

They need the death penalty.  Top down this institution has had this reputation for years and everyone new it.  Adminstrators with integrity would have recognized that reality and been extra vigilant in policing themselves. They didn't care then and they wouldn't care now had they not been caught.  It was all about being on the national stage and the doors that that opened and the power it engendered.  The only way to get rid of that kind of systemic cancer is to KILL THE PROGRAM!!!       >:(

Archived